Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)
  • Offshore Guidance
  • bruneep

Bruneep.. If its ok I may email you and pick your brains about the courses?

Yes

scotsman
    Free Member

O and I forgot, Oceaneering the take on shed loads of trainees every year.

1981miked
    Free Member

Emailed you bruneep.

That’s a good list of companies Scotsman.. Any chance of them taking on a non graduate? Worth a CV and letter?

What’s the best way to approach the CV application? Online or by post? I’m in Aberdeen on Tuesday so was going to hand some over in person.

Thanks.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Heard on local radio today , harris caprock are on a recruiting drive – they are comunications co so electronics might be of use to them 😉

anez247
    Free Member

@ Tail rat, Thx man, will check them out

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You should consider an onshore design role with some of the contractors like KBR, Foster Wheeler etc, with a degree you should get in as a design engineer and be London based

+1

A few guys I joined with jumped ship after 2-3 years and now work offshore.

Having said that one came back tail between legs after realizing that despite the money and how good rotations sounded, the reality seemed to be hard work, long shifts, canceled leave, and if you got a boss you didn’t get on with you were fecked (as it meant longer shifts, and more canceled leave).

That and there’s only so many instagram photos of oil rig sunsets and posts whining about the food you can post before all your facebook friends start taking the piss.

scotsman
    Free Member

1981miked, on-line where possible and by post, you say you drive an HGV at the moment, what did you do before that, any mechanical or electrical or hydraulic skills, fixing tractors, heavy machinery, generators, pumps, trucks, cars etc.
    Subsea construction from vessels have a varied base of positions from deck riggers through to offshore construction managers.
    Yes all those companies take on non graduates, most of the time it is luck, if you send in your CV at the correct time and they have just landed a huge contract they will no doubt be looking for lots of people and if your CV has just landed on HR’s desk you have a chance of getting a phone call, perseverance pays off in the offshore game.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dunno tinas it is what you make it , ive had some grim times and equally some great times. Gne to places i never dreamed of going and places ill never go back to.

Beats sitting at a desk all day every day

1981miked
    Free Member

Thanks Scotsman,

I transport Bitumen, fuel oil, Kerosene and other hazardous liquids so I have an ADR certificate to do this. This may help me as I understand the importance of appropriate safety procedures, I also use Hydraulic tipping gear for some loads, although I don’t repair or advice them i have a reasonable knowledge of how they work and could easy get an insight from the technicians at work.. Not official I know but may be enough to show I have a transferable skill.

Mechanically wise.. I have worked in a bike shop, carries out basic maintenance on my truck at previous employers, again I know the basics of car maintenance.

How I wish I had a trade right now!!!

Thanks again for the feedback Scotsman, alot of companies seem to want you to apply online and upload CV’s.. If that’s what the want I assume that’s the best way to go about it?

anez247
    Free Member

@trail rat, I can imagine how nice the experience and exposure.

@thisisnotaspoon, As I’ve said earlier, So far it is in the Energy Industry, I dont mind the Location ( Be it Offshore or Onshore ) cos am flexible

whattyre
    Free Member

interesting thread chaps!

mactheknife

anez247 – good advice above. the best thing i have heard from you is that you are flexible and will take a start anywhere. Thats the attitude that will get you where you want to be.

Right now you are at the hardest stage, getting people to notice you. Perseverance is the key. Become a pest. Follow your CV up with a phone call and keep trying.

This job has some massive downsides but for me the time off keeps me doing it.

Im an NDT / Rope Access tech. I’m at the stage now where i don’t look for work. Most companies know me and the way the industry is at the moment the supply and demand is working in my favour. BUT i had to do a couple of years abroad getting experience before i got a look in the North Sea. Saudi land rigs were probably the lowest point 🙂 but i was happy to do this as my long term plan was always to be in Scotland.

Good luck 🙂

anez247
    Free Member

@Mactheknife, Its good to see an NDT chap, Wanted to do MPI & LPI but the months of required experience put me off plus that I didnt know where to get them from also.

How did you succeed to get experience abroad? I wanted to try the US but the visa was a hurdle.

messiah
    Free Member

Check out the Offshore Europe website and look at the Exhibitor-Directory for company names and what they do; its a huge list of companies involved in the Oil and Gas game… Linky.

With an electronics background you should be able to target your calls and CV to companies who use these skills.

It pays to research what the company does so you can target the letter and CV to stand out from other applicants.

anez247
    Free Member

Thumbs up Messiah..

mactheknife

I worked for a company called OES for s while and they have contracts worldwide. TBH mate you are overqualified for this type of work. It’s actually easy to do the courses and then get your tickets signed off after a year.

If down the line you do need more info on NDT drop me an email and I’ll point you in the direction of training providers and companies they may give you a start with no experience. But again ours pretty hard work getting that first start.

anez247
    Free Member

@ Mactheknife, I will send u an email soon

anez247
    Free Member

@snegdnr,haven’t gotten any reply from you yet man

bigjim

This company has a London office, http://www.xodusgroup.com/careers/jobs.php

anez247
    Free Member

Thx BigJim

RustyMac

A vacancy for an assitant Engineer has been posted at my company in Aberdeen. This would not specifically be offshore work but may include some. Job is with one of the biggest verification companies in the UK/world.

Minimum requirements for applicants are HNC/HND (degree prefered).

If you are interested in the job spec or more info on the company my email is in my profile.

**For full disclosure my company operates a refer a friend scheme and if I wast to refer a sucsessfull applicant I would recieve a reward for this. **

anez247
    Free Member

Hey Rusty, YGM

dragon
    Free Member

Have a look at the classification societies e.g. LR, DNV, BV, it will typically be more onshore than offshore based, but they are a good start into the industry.

They key for me though is that you need to convince someone at interview why you want that specific role, saying you want to get into offshore / O&G isn’t going to be enough.

anez247
    Free Member

@Dragon, Thx for the suggestion, I will look into them.

I wouldnt be applying to a company at the first place if I dont find anything specific that interests me about the company & its values :).

Still though, thanks again.

RustyMac

anez247 YHM back.

anez247
    Free Member

Copy dat Rusty

anez247
    Free Member

Email me in profile if you want me to organise a chat to our instruments guys

YGM Sugdenr

aye-aye
    Free Member

Just out of interest, if you wanted to get a job (any job) in off-shore oilrig work and were starting from scratch, what would be a good college/university course to attend?

Futureboy
    Free Member

I have a list of drilling companies that I will be trying

miked1981, good chance that i work for one of the drilling companies you are going to try.

Can’t give you any promises, but if you want some advice my email is in my profile.

anez247
    Free Member

if you want some advice my email is in my profile.

Can I pick one or two info from you Futureboy?

caspian
    Free Member

anez, I just had this through from OilCareers:

Saudi Aramco, Shell, Fugro, Technip, and Transocean are some of the companies from across the oil and gas supply chain who have confirmed they are recruiting at the Global Energy Career Expo Aberdeen taking place from 12th – 13th June 2013 at the Aberdeen Exhibition and Conference Centre (AECC).

anez247
    Free Member

Fantastic cos I will be in Aberdeen on the 12th, Thx Caspian

Just booked my place!

anez247
    Free Member

Just to re-ignite my thread, still open to suggestions and advice. feel free to email me ( My id is on my profile)

iceman8
    Free Member

Rowan are currently looking for Roustabouts:

http://www.rowancompanies.com/fw/main/Career-Opportunities-334.html

They have a couple of rigs going in for upgrades and then out to Norway and a few drill ships coming online soon so there would be loads of opportunities to progress fast with them (and hence earn very good money). Currently working on one of their rigs and the crew is fantastic.

Not to rain on your parade but I think you will struggle to get a position with an operator without a masters or a fair bit of experience.

anez247
    Free Member

@Iceman8, thx on the info, I will check them out

I think you will struggle to get a position with an operator without a masters or a fair bit of experience

Yea, I presume but I focus much of my effort not on Operators or Supermajors but on Drill Cos & Service Tech Cos.

anez247
    Free Member

YGM Iceman8

Deveron53
    Free Member

I went round oil and gas exhibition in 2011, got a job within 2 months. My wife followed soon after and got a job within 3 months. Everyone I know who has moved up to Aberdeen has got a 25k+ job within 3 months. (unemployment rate is below 2%) Once you’re in, you move up, sideways and along. Annual pay rises are decent and if you live in the countryside and don’t mind a commute, rents are below 500pm. I live within 5 miles of Pitfichie and have a 30 minute drive in. The trails up here are e m p t y and you can almost literally ride anywhere you want.

Try the smaller service contractor companies. I hear BP is still after people though. Look at Fircroft (recruiting agency) or Genesis.

anez247
    Free Member

Thx Dev, I will be in Aberdeen on tuesday for a week, coming for my trainings, I also want to attend the exhibition on the 12th as well, I hope to find a job as u did during the exhibition.

I’ve heard alot of success stories about the city, I hope to have one soon. Any advice on the exhibition day will be much appreciated too.

hillshurt13
    Free Member

all good advice… 🙂

anez247
    Free Member

Thx Hill

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Offshore Guidance’ is closed to new replies.