Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Offset shock mounting hardware – to reduce effective i2i
  • hamishthecat
    Free Member

I may need a new rear shock and my bike takes 8.25″ x 2.25″ which you can’t get any more without either importing an Avalanche shock @ ++$ or getting a Fox Pushed.

I’m thinking I could go with 8.5″ x 2.25″ and put offset bushes in both ends to get effective i2i back to 8.25″ assuming they are 3mm offset either end.

Any reason why this wouldn’t work, provided there is clearance either end of the shock?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I can’t see why it wouldn’t work.

rc200f8
    Free Member

should work, but only if your shock is mounted with 6mm bolts.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Or get an 8″ x 2.0″?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

should work, but only if your shock is mounted with 6mm bolts

Good point – might be an issue.

Or get an 8″ x 2.0″?

Is do-able but would have to run the bike with 4.5″ rear travel instead of 5.7″.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

A 200×57 then – ooh the slackness…

james
    Free Member

A quick google conversion is telling me you’re after a 209.55/57.15mm shock? (so 210/57)

Whats up with the current shock?

After looking into a bizarrely dimensioned shock and working out the spacered down options to fit in around rockers which already bottom out up against the seattube, I ended up paying through the nose to fix up the old one, meant I wouldn’t be screwing up the travel and BB drop by 0.5″ each way.
    Though can’t say I knew of shock bushings then, though only a year ago I probably should have done ..

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I have two Talas shocks, one of which has lost the travel adjust function so the sleeve that should adjust to three positions just slides in and out which interferes with the shock stroke. The spare I’ve just put on is working OK but has quite a worn shaft and I suspect will pack up in due course. I understand that Mojo can no longer get the parts to repair it.

And yes, it’s a 210/57. Think I might need to get one Pushed to the right length as I don’t think there will be clearance between the lower end of the shock and the tyre if I put an offset bush on.

Off to bed now to think about it…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Offset shock mounting hardware – to reduce effective i2i’ is closed to new replies.