Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Offset Bushings – must be a trade-off, reduced rear travel?
  • BruceWee

I’m probably missing something fairly fundamental here but if M6 bolts give more adjustment than M8 bolts, is it not possible to get offset bushings that are the same width and diameter but use M6 bolts instead of M8 bolts?

greeble
    Free Member

I’m probably missing something fairly fundamental here but if M6 bolts give more adjustment than M8 bolts, is it not possible to get offset bushings that are the same width and diameter but use M6 bolts instead of M8 bolts?

the thread and hole on the frame will be m8 size so putting an m6 bolt wouldn’t be an option

BruceWee

The bolts go onto a shaft on my bike (Mk1 nomad). I’m not sure how it works with other bikes.

So couldn’t you use a shaft with the same outer diameter but a different thread size?

Wibble89
    Free Member

Well if we are really going to analyse this to death:

Instead of running them in the 3 and 9 O’clock possition, if you ran them in the 12 or 6 O’clock position you could (depending on your linkage and assuming they will stay in place) change the progression curve of your suspension. 🙂

greeble
    Free Member

Well if we are really going to analyse this to death:

Instead of running them in the 3 and 9 O’clock possition, if you ran them in the 12 or 6 O’clock position you could (depending on your linkage and assuming they will stay in place) change the progression curve of your suspension.

until they settle at their natural position which would be B in the diagram

Mintyjim

I would have thought that to slacken your bike without changing the ‘effective’ i2i you simply put them both in the 3 o’clock position, there by shifting the whole shock to the right. On my Socom I think that would slacken the H/A and drop the BB

greeble
    Free Member

I would have thought that to slacken your bike without changing the ‘effective’ i2i you simply put them both in the 3 o’clock position, there by shifting the whole shock to the right. On my Socom I think that would slacken the H/A and drop the BB

how does your mind work 😯

Wibble89
    Free Member

until they settle at their natural position which would be B in the diagram

Hence why I said assuming they stay in place. 😉

Nope, the only way to slacken the bike is to reduce the effective i2i. Moving the whole shock either direction wont have any effect as the bolts/pins will still be in the same place.

Mintyjim

greeble, probably better than ‘you’re’ grammar matey

toys19
    Free Member

Wibble is correct. And like I said before if the bolts are done up tight enough then they mount pins won’t move. If you think they move we should have a chat about what happens to non offset bushes under load.

Mintyjim

Greeble, sly and quick!!!

I’ve just been staring at a picture of a socom shock arrangement and it’s clicked into place, yup shorten the i2i so that’s 3 and 9. Phew

greeble
    Free Member

I’ve just been staring at a picture of a socom shock arrangement and it’s clicked into place, yup shorten the i2i so that’s 3 and 9. Phew

item b on the diagram then?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

And like I said before if the bolts are done up tight enough then they mount pins won’t move.

If you believe that the standard hardware on a bike is capable of withstand an excentric shock mount roating to its “natural” position then you’d better go explain it to Richard Dawkins. I’m not saying you couldn’t make this work, but in most cases, with bikes covered in all sorts of paint, oil etc. one hard landing will be enough to spin that baby around.

You have to understand some peoples grasp on their allen keys is even weaker than their engineering.

dasnut
    Free Member

It makes me wonder how some folks manage to set up the STW favourite CCDB correctly after reading threads like this.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

It makes me wonder how some folks manage to pedal and steer at the same time after reading threads like this.

scruff
    Free Member

It makes me wonder how I succesfully fitted my offset bushings and then checked nothing was catching, fouling or moving more than it should, resulting in a longer wheelbase, lower BB and slacker angle of dangles.

tracknicko
    Free Member

could just pump your back tyre up less, front tyre up more?

like a slackset/offset bushing.

only free 😉

drookitmunter
    Free Member

I really enjoyed reading this thread 😆

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Embarrassingly, it is by far the longest one I’ve started.

Anyway, been running offset bushings for several months now, proofs in the pudding – they definitely work for me.

But remind me, do they go in a 9.15 or 3.45 o’clock…..

Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Offset Bushings – must be a trade-off, reduced rear travel?’ is closed to new replies.