Offroad gps navigation device – What is available without bells and whistles?

Home Forum Bike Forum Offroad gps navigation device – What is available without bells and whistles?

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Offroad gps navigation device – What is available without bells and whistles?
  • drummer

Iphone and Strava works well

Premier Icon dmorts
    Subscriber

Following a route using a phone and app is a PITA unless the phone is mounted on your bars

kudos100

Following a route using a phone and app is a PITA unless the phone is mounted on your bars

Not interested in having a a phone (unless it is dirt cheap) on the bars. Sooner or later it would get smashed to bits.

Premier Icon ir_bandito
    Subscriber

Not interested in having a a phone (unless it is dirt cheap) on the bars. Sooner or later it would get smashed to bits.

Which is why I don’t mount mine on the bars. It goes in a top-tube bag a bit like this:

Cost me £5 off ebay.

Phone itself cost me £50. I have another phone I use for phoning, and that is secure in my rucsac.

What’s to stop your £300 garmin getting smashed to bits?

Premier Icon captain_bastard
    Subscriber

i’m seriously considering the Garmin eTrex 30, word is the non-touch screen is better for viewing maps and the battery life is good (plus it’s AA’s so better for multi day trips)

I have access to the Garmin uk 1:50,000 OS maps, does anyone know if these work if i use a copy?

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

captain_bastard wrote:

i’m seriously considering the Garmin eTrex 30, word is the non-touch screen is better for viewing maps and the battery life is good (plus it’s AA’s so better for multi day trips)
    I have access to the Garmin uk 1:50,000 OS maps, does anyone know if these work if i use a copy?

FWIW the touch screen on the Dakota is perfect for viewing maps and it also takes AA batteries.

CaptainSlow

Interesting thread.

I’ve just ordered an Edge 500 based on the thinking that if I need maps to navigate I’ve got view ranger 1:25 maps on my phone.
    I couldn’t justify the extra £80 for the edge 800 as I wouldn’t be riding along referencing a map very regularly (even if lost) as I’d be looking for features and then heading toward that feature (like in the old days with a map n compass).

I’m using it more for the data it records than navigating as 99.9% of the time I’m riding a familiar area.

Premier Icon captain_bastard
    Subscriber

Thanks scotroutes, i’ll also check out the Dakota

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Offroad gps navigation device – What is available without bells and whistles?’ is closed to new replies.