Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Offroad around Uppingham?
  • BillMC

Just had a weekend in Uppingham and loved the place. Does anyone know if there’s much offroad cycling to be had in the area without having to drive and not just going around the reservoir?

andrewh
    Free Member

I live 30 miles north of there and yet to find any…
    Some of the bridleways are OK for a short blast on the SS but they are really only fun when there is 6″ of snow on them.
    Driving up to Sheffield this weekend and taking the big bike.

AngusWells

A bit off the wall but try The British Horse Society’s Leicestershire and Rutland on Horseback book. It’s only 50p on their web site and gives some good hints about where you can ride (a bike) off road. The problem is of course that this is horsey country, hence the book, so many of the bridleways will be chewed up by Pippa and her chums. Alternatively, take a 1:50k map and a marker pen…….

sortmaster
    Free Member

There are some new trails opened this year in Wakerley & Fineshade Woods – they’re not too far away.

Apart from that, it’s bridleways that get pretty soggy in winter. I live in P’boro so tend to ride towards Oundle and Wakerley.

sortmaster
    Free Member

…and 6″ of snow on a horse churned-up bridleway?? definitely not my idea of fun 😉

sparkerfix

Is Melton and Belvoir too far away for you? There’s a bit around there. Not spectacular but ok.

phil56

There is plenty of great riding close to Uppingham, maybe not Peaks type riding, but still great fun. We sometimes do a loop round Hallaton (just east of Uppingham) that you could ride to via Stoke Dry wood and Bolt wood.
    Just grab an OS map – it’s all pretty simple.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Offroad around Uppingham?’ is closed to new replies.