Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 615 total)
  • Official STW Zwift Club
  • r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’m signed up but not really looking forward to it…!

I barely rode for 6 weeks from mid Oct due to some stinking sinus & chest infection. I also haven’t done anything over threshold for months…. I’ve just started to get back into a routine in the last couple of weeks though.

So there we go, they’re all my excuses that I can think of for now. I’ll add some more as and when I think of them 🙂

weeksy

we don’t need excuses. We’ve got people who win the overall races on the STW events. We’re basically hanging in until they decide we’re not… then we’re fighting out for the minor places 😀

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

My objective is to be in a fit state to chair a video meeting at 2pm…

Today’s training plan tells me I should be doing an “Endurance: Undulating Aerobic Ride”. Somehow I don’t think 30 mins flat out comes close, ooops.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    weeksy

will only be flat out for 99% of it.

nixie

I’ve just started my warm up. 1:25 of SST 😆

weeksy

lol I thought i was going early with it at 30 mins to go….

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’m jumping on at 11:30 and might tag a little Z2 on the end

robbo1234biking

11:58 for me!

weeksy

jimbob i’ll be on for 15km after at 100-120w

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Found some old caffeinated drink tablets that went of out date 2 years ago. Let’s see what happens 😂

savoyad

I’m not going to make it (work, not the after effects of last night!). This time usually does suit me though. Have a good race!

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I have a new HR monitor and I think it reads about 15bpm higher than my old one 😆

nixie

Or those attacks were as hard as they looked.

I’ve cooked my legs. Can’t currently do a quad stretch as they want to cramp 🙄.

weeksy

The attacks killed me… i was doing OK, then next minute we had 10w/kg…

BOOM ! gone.

Thanks for the drag Deacon… i trie a few times to give a turn and when i did you went faster lol.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Enjoyed that one guys, sort of!

Does anyone have an appetite for a longer endurance ride on Saturday morning if the weather is rubbish out there? 3 hours or so.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Or those attacks were as hard as they looked.

Probably something to do with the expired caffeinated drink tablet too. HR was 150bpm in the start pen doing 100w

djflexure

Wed could be good for me – I like the crit format too.

We done JimBob! I shouldn’t have let you get the gap – thought you’d blow and I’d real you back in, but you kept on going. Could see Robo sitting on my wheel waiting to pounce as I worked on the gap, so happy to get the sprint.

robbo1234biking

Cheers guys – that was good fun

I wasnt waiting to pounce djflexure – I was trying to hang on!

I have put London Classique on the calendar for next Wednesday. 3 laps so a little longer.

https://www.zwift.com/events/view/2512059

djflexure

I wasnt waiting to pounce djflexure – I was trying to hang on!

I had flashbacks to last night 😉

robbo1234biking

haha I was pretty surprised to drop you on the climb last night! Was expecting you to fly off!

djflexure

I’d had a bit more than half a bottle of red while putting the Christmas tree up early evening. Wasn’t expecting to race and then all of a sudden it seemed like a great idea. Surprised I got to the hill never mind up it. Not all bad though as my mindless ‘pissed up’ attacks gave me a big FTP gain. Well done for last night – you were on a mission!

lewisdeacon

That was a good lunchtime break – thanks all, back to work now

peesbee

Hi Robbo,

If you still have space can you add me.

Ta. PeesBee

scaled
    Free Member

I just opened the companion app to see you’d all been racing without me so had to come on here and have a look what it was all about 😀

Sign me up, although wednesday lunchtimes after tuesday nights is gonna hurt!

crossed

I’ve got a quick Zwift question for those of you in the know.
    I’ve got a Kickr Core and a set of the new Garmin power pedals on the other bike. Should I stick the Garmin pedals on the turbo bike to control the turbo rather than having the Kickr control itself?

nixie

No, the pedals don’t/can’t control the kickr. The game controls the turbo. The pedals can be used as a way of measuring the power your producing but it is recommended to use the turbo, especially when it’s a decent turbo. Pedals are a good way of secondary recording if that’s your thing.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

On the other hand I’d suggest using the pedals to record power both indoor and outdoor. That way you get consistent numbers to train with.

I use my Assioma Duo’s on my Wattbike atom. Zwift takes the power reading from my pedals but controls resistance via the Wattbike. I can’t see a downside to that.

nixie

r8jimbob88 makes a valid point about having a consistent measurement for training in and outside. I should clarify that my view is based on the more serious* end of the indoor race world where it is expected that the turbo is used as the primary source. You are in they lucky position that both the devices you have are considered accurate.

* as in the rules that are applied to the higher level events.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I use a Kickr Core and have 4iiii left sided crank PM. I tend to use the Kickr for Zwift power output recording. I occasionally check the crank power v Kickr by saving the ride file from the Precision 4iii app and the fit file from zwift to compare the 2 power levels. There’s a good function in zwiftpower for this. Normally its within about 1-2%. So it might be worth comparing the Garmin pedals now and then but I don’t see a reason to use them for zwift all the time.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Ah that makes sense for the national events etc nixie. In the ideal world everyone would be using the same device and the field would be more fair that way.

I think there’s two ways to look at it.

1) If zwift race fairness and results and are important to you then use the Kickr power reading (although you’ll likely be racing against others with wild one sided power readings etc so I don’t think the field is even or fair in most zwift events anyway).

2) If consistent training figures are important and you train indoor and outdoor then use the pedals.

I used to have a one sided stages that would read about 30w higher than my current pedals. Whilst they would clearly give me an unfair advantage in zwift the fact that I could train indoor and outdoor with one set of numbers was more important to me so I used the stages. Fortunately my Assioma’s and Wattbike are pretty closely matched now so I could use either in zwift but I’ve just got into the habit of swapping the pedals over as it only takes a moment and things are completely consistent that way.

(I used to have a kickr and 3 stages across different bikes and training was a nightmare with so much inconsistency between them. I simply use my Assioma’s on everything now. Its great that I can swap SPD pedal bodies onto them too so I can use them on the MTB as well).

@crossed
    It’s probably worth doing a comparison between the two and making a decision based on what is more important to you.

DrP

I’ve just got some of the garmin rally xc pedals too….
    (Dual sided) to measure when xc racing and gravel riding…
    I’ve a l sided pm but tbh, it’s gone shonky recently, and I think it’s leading to skewed training data 🤷‍♂️

For zwift I just use the tacx neo 2t for power/control… it’s meant to be very accurate

DrP

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I think the main takeaway point is if your pedals and trainer measure the same then it doesn’t really matter either way. You won’t know unless you do a side by side comparison though.

I’ve been in the Wattbike FB groups for a while and some of the inconsistencies between side by side Wattbikes is quite alarming! Wattbikes official response is that they’re calibrated to be consistent within themselves rather than accurate against one another and I think that’s a similar approach adopted by the other big manufactures but obviously not something they shout about. Explains the parc ferme conditions at the zwift champs etc as they will be calibrated to be consistent with each other.

Outdoor is where it all counts anyway 😃 indoor we’re just staring at pixels going nowhere.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I think the main takeaway point is if your pedals and trainer measure the same then it doesn’t really matter either way.

Not strictly true, though Zwift remain cagey, one reason is that the way PMs measure power is often different to trainers and are therefore more susceptible to sticky watts. I believe with certain pedals it’s surprisingly easy to do it by accident so expect that’s one of the reasons that the regs at the higher level require it. How much it matters elsewhere is debatable, personally I ask all the folk in our club to set trainer to primary for races like ZRL where riders can and do get reported for things like sticky watts, so it just gives me one less thing to worry about since the issues go to manager first before riders.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’ve not heard of sticky watts before. Looks like an interesting read. I’ve had a glance through it though and it appears that it may only happen when you stop pedalling quickly.

It sounds like something you may be able to exploit for a small advantage if you’re aware of it. I’d imagine for most users though, me included, that it’s a non-issue. I start pedalling when I get on Zwift and stop when I get off it! I’m sure the people exploiting it are probably those that weigh 10kg less in zwift than the real world but that’s another can of worms.

nixie

Sudden stops is not the only way for it too occur but it is the most common exploit. Some turbos are also susceptible. A lot won’t even realise it occurs (I didn’t till a teammate showed me the data from it). Now I know what to look for it is quite common. The exploiters are obvious.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

It would be interesting to know how much you could actually influence a race result with sticky watts. My old Kickr occasionally gave me a 2,000w boost for a few seconds which was entertaining.

I don’t think either option is perfect but they’re pretty close in the grand scheme of things as as good as we’re going to get until the technology improves.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

It would be interesting to know how much you could actually influence a race result with sticky watts.

Significantly I reckon. It’s surprisingly easy to do and if done right can give a good boost, if you look at the power graphs or in game footage of someone riding off with a stupid stop start cadence, you can see the benefit.

nixie

Yeah it can be significant. Enough for a realistically 4.5 wpkg A to win events stacked with decent A+ riders.

robbo1234biking

Dont forget there is a post work sprint race tonight and Sunday Hills as well! Sign up via the links below.

Friday 10th December
    Friday Post-Work Sprint Race – 16:30 – 2 Laps of the Innsbruckring (this is in Zwiftpower as a race)
    https://www.zwift.com/uk/events/view/2505232

Sunday 12th December
    Sunday Hills – 08:00 – Triple Loops
    https://www.zwift.com/uk/events/view/2505216

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’m going for the Mega Pretzel badge tomorrow if anyone wants a meetup. Starting early about 7-8am. Pace will be a steady 200w which is around 2.6w/kg for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 615 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.