Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 615 total)
  • Official STW Zwift Club
  • bensales
    Free Member

Motivated by watching the Life Time Grand Prix (https://youtube.com/@LifeTimeGrandPrix) last night, I’m going to do the A ride at 10am.

I’ll be slow.

DrP

That was another great ride….
    Small kom as a warm up… Then got with a great group around the 40 mark and we just rose,climbed, and descended together… Was a proper group push up the volcano..roughly 4.4w/kg all the way in a real tight bunch!
    Got a crappy feather at the top! Wanted an aero again to try a final brakeaway with 800m to go (again, I’m rubbish at sprints!) But it didn’t really work with a feather 🤪🤪

Still, got round in an hour 20, coming 37/699…

Noice!

DrP

bensales
    Free Member

I enjoyed that more than last Sunday’s slog fest.

2:25 for me keeping to a steady 200w all the way for Zone 2 goodness.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Missed you this morning Brian ;). FYI I did A in 1hr 33 mins so reckon you’d do it sub 1.30.

scotroutes

I stayed up for the new Scotland map

And the whole map is on…. Arran!!!

jimdubleyou

Just tried to sign up for last stage of TdeZ In companion and all the events start on Monday?!

Though it was this weekend?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Stage 8 is live, one starting in next minute.

https://zwiftpower.com/

mashr

The filters in the events list have been odd this year, try having a play with that. Monday onwards is catch-up week

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Monday onwards is catch-up week

I think I’ve three to try fitting in. At least the half hourly starts make it a bit more likely, means I can join a 5.30 and actually get to work (obviously I won’t be doing but you know, its the thought that counts).
    It also means I might stand more chance in the evenings.

stumpy01

jimdubleyou
    Just tried to sign up for last stage of TdeZ In companion and all the events start on Monday?!

Though it was this weekend?

I noticed this when I tried to sign up to the Scotland ride this morning.
    I ended up doing it through the web browser instead (just googled “tour de Zwift 2023”), rather than the companion app.

Did the B route this morning. It was a great route. Scenery OK, although a bit loony in places. The ‘rolling highlands’ course has nothing overly hilly in it, but plenty of sharp, short efforts. I enjoyed it. A shame it’s not gonna be expanded.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

From DC Rainmaker @stumpy01:

I asked Zwift what their plans were, and they said this:

“It’s a simple but not-so-simple question. Yes, the Scotland map is different to other UCI courses as it’s been designed from scratch whereas others have been road course replicas. There are no plans to add new tarmac between now and August but the door would be open to possible expansions in the future. Again though, nothing is planned at this point.”

heebyjeeby

Late to the party on this…how do we go about joining the Singletrack club?
    Did a quick search on the companion app and could not see it…

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

@heebyjeeby

Follow this link, then shout up on here with your zwift user name and we’ll approve you.

https://www.zwift.com/clubs/fcbd9c17-1ff8-4477-8104-3408856e0084/home

@dangeourbrain
    or @robbo1234biking can approve I think.

Edit….Ooh. Apparently I can as well!

heebyjeeby

Thanks @slowpuncheur….I was searching for Singletrack as opposed to STW, found the Club under STW and put in an application an hour or two ago….hopefully you should see it there and be able to approve?
    Cheers!

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

👍🏻

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Well that was a lot tougher than the distance and elevation suggested!

Did the b route this morning, late decision so no warm up and started right from the back, took about 2k and a big chunk of work to catch the front as it had split up a lot from the off. Hovered between 1st and 30th for the two laps but lost the bunch on the climb to the line and rolled in about 23rd of 420ish.

I might have made 21st but lost the impetus when I thought I’d tucked under 20 only to realise the group I passed were not in the lead bunch so equally the two in front may not have been my group either. I hope for their sake they weren’t the tail of the b ride, still a long way to go and very disheartening to be lapped.

It’ll make for a nice race route that.

DrP

Here we go! Looks like about 800 signed up for the Fondo… Hopefully a good group to ride around with..
    Now… Bike swap for the jungle? Hmm…..

DrP

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Good luck

Crazy fool

DrP

Oof… That was, erm, okay I guess..

Was fine for the first 80km as was in a good bunch around the 36/330.. Lots of chat and jokes… The first few holes (kom reverse, volcano, and jungle) were ok… But I fueled poorly and literally had an empty tank right at the foot of the epic kom… The final climb.
    Could only muster 180 ISH watts, and was just getting overtaken by those who were originally 2-3 minutes behind!
    Managed to hop off and gobble 3 gels with about 4k of climbing to go, but it wasn’t fun!

Anyway… Got round the 97ish km in about 2hrs 40….
    Glad I did it!

DrP

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Glad you survived!

It’s a very early suggestion but the sooner I get it in I suppose the more likely it is to gain traction…

A couple of years ago we managed a Sunday hills [on a Saturday] real world ride, any interest in one this year if i look to organise one somewhere in June?

DrP

Yeah Brian., sounds good!
    Of course.. Were all like a squillion miles apart aren’t we…

DrP

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Yeah, I figured there’s got to be somewhere roughly in the middle either southern peak or possibly swinley or something. I *think* I’m about as far north as any of us – though that said there’s a lot of country north of me and at least 10 people live in it…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Well that’s two of the three catchups done this evening, pretty pleased all things considered, somewhere around the top 5-10% in both c group rides, I won’t have been the only one doing back to back but even if everyone was I’m pleased with that.

Newyork was good, quick but short, I was slow off the mark up the penultimate incline and lost the the lead group, of fifteen or so as of fragmented tried to chase back on but wasn’t making ground so decided discretion was the better choice and picked up the bunch behind, rode home with them and finished in the middle of the bunch for 25/430 ish.

A reasonable chance to recover before watopia, I should have picked a more aero bike but didn’t think to change, saw me struggle to hold a group on the flat and down and waistband is not a good route for that.

One small botch saw me chasing back on hard for thirty seconds or so about two thirds round, I think if I’d not had to do that I’d have fared better a bit later. I held onto the front of the race reasonably until the volcano, up the sharp little rise I was in 4th over the top then i randomly shelled 25 places without knowing how, tried to chase on again into the volcano but didn’t have the legs and ended up in group of five to the line.

The main bunch managed to take 20 seconds out of us in final 3k in the desert somehow and then I got passed by about 10 riders sprinting to the line at mach 10. Came in about 45th of 630.

Makuri A on Wednesday should see the lot ticked off.

jamesoz

Probably as good a place as any to ask.

I’ve just replaced my Tacx Flow with a Zwift Hub.
    I’ve calibrated it and installed the latest firmware.
    It’s obviously a marked improvement from the wheel on trainer in feel, but a quick spin in my work boots and I could pretty easily get it up to 675 watts and accelerate way quicker than before. I’ve always found sprinting a struggle on the Tacx.

I’ll try an ftp test on it at some point.
    Is it normal for there to be such a marked difference?
    The Tacx did used to make some pretty awful clicking noises at around 300w from new.

Or maybe I should just race in my work boots.

Of course I’ve guaranteed perfect weather now I have a new turbo. You’re welcome.

oopnorth
    Free Member

A direct drive will definitely feel faster in response and acceleration than a wheel on trainer. As long as its calibrated correctly it should be fine, the FTP test will show. Get on a decent route with a hill and test it, it will be different but not too radical.

Perhaps you had the wheel set up too tight on the old trainer? 😉

jamesoz

Ta, I’m wondering if my not so svelte 97kg would cause a bit of flex/wheel spin when sprinting. I might actually be able to stay in a bunch now with the better response.

oopnorth
    Free Member

Robbo also got a Zwift Hub recently, he says its much better / faster on pick up and ERG than the Elite direct drive he was using previously, it’s also smoother. I’m seriously considering swapping my Elite to the new Hub.

jamesoz

I used the £50 off code INSIDER50 iirc.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Anyone for Sunday hills this weekend?

mashr

Just did my first Glasgow crit – Ooft that’s a nasty hill! As usual I haven’t been paying enough attention, so decided the start was too slow and took my 62kg of raw power to the front to drive things on. 4 corners later and I noticed the road going a touch upwards. . .

Definitely makes for a different race than Crit City

DrP

Brian… Yeah.. Go on then….
    My OH is coming back from holiday in the afternoon so as long as my kid’s iPads are charged I can spare some time!
    ?8am….

DrP

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

?8am….

Oooo a lie in!

Watopia mountain 8, Sunday at 8 then.

I’ve set it up as a meetup instead of a club run as those default to meetup only view which is a bit pants off there’s only a few of us. Downside is I have to send invites so…

If anyone else fancies, shout up (with your zwift id!!!) and I’ll send an invitation over.

DrP

Come on… Let’s make this a thrupple at least 😍😍😍

DrP

oopnorth
    Free Member

Brian…Send me an invite, I’m not sure of plans yet, family, outside ride or turbo, but always good to have an option. I’ll be there if available.

You should know the ID, but just in case – Craigpin oopnorth…..bla bla

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Done!

oopnorth
    Free Member

Cheers… I won’t be racing you two up the hill though!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Anyone else for tomorrow? It’s not a terrible route, epic is the only serious climb but the rest of the ride should be a steady group effort.

stumpy01

Unfortunately not.
    I’m visiting my parents this weekend and having a rest week anyway. Hoping to get back on it and feeling refreshed on Friday.

oopnorth
    Free Member

Sorry chaps, forgot the alarm and woke late (may have been due to the red wine last night). Will jump on later and do penance with a big hill.

sturdylad
    Free Member

Sorry not me this week, making the most of dry trails and doing a dog walk/bike ride with the trail hound again.

Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 615 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.