Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Office put downs…
  • DT78
    Free Member

So in meeting with various senior bods giving an update. Head from other area decides to give me a hard time and score some points about how wonderful his area and rubbish mine is in front of people.

Really wanted to point out he was talking a complete bunch of arse but struggled for the best way to do this in front of lots of people.

I ended up with ‘thanks for your opinion, now moving on’

Anyone coming up with a better put down or something more amusing (that wouldn’t involve a disciplinary)!?

jekkyl

talking to you is like taking a shit
    it takes forever and it stinks.

Sorry I’ve actually got nothing useful to add. 😀

thegreatape
    Free Member

I refuse to enter into a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

kevj
    Free Member

I do not generally suffer fools, and you sir, are intolerable.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Oh, and for what it’s worth, had I been in your meeting, I’d be thinking he’s a dick, and chuckled at your response.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

I like to reply to “there’s no “I” in team” with, “yes, but there is in **** arsehole”

Loses a bit with the swear filter, but you get the point!

lucien

“Thank you. We’re all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view.”

nickjb
    Free Member

“There’s no ‘I’ in team”
    “But there is a ‘u’ in ****”

bencooper
    Free Member

I ended up with ‘thanks for your opinion, now moving on’

Preceded by a 3-second stare, I think that would do the trick.

noteeth
    Free Member

Flip him the bird.

chakaping
    Free Member

The jerk store called, they’re out of you.

TiRed

Oh, and for what it’s worth, had I been in your meeting, I’d be thinking he’s a dick, and chuckled at your response.

This. Politeness always wins out. If you need to score at other people’s expense, you will win no friends. It’s not a zero sum game.

yossarian
    Free Member

This is the look you want

Alpha1653

This might get me banned but…

Best Comeback Ever

br
    Free Member

If you’re asking here for a response, you’re in the wrong job…

noteeth
    Free Member

This is the look you want

No, this is the look he wants…

Terrifying character – and terrifying hair.

ekul
    Free Member

This thread has reminded me of the exchange from the other guys with will Ferrell and mark wahlberg : 😆

Terry Hoitz: No, I don’t like you. I think you’re a fake cop. The sound of your piss hitting the urinal, it sounds feminine. If you were in the wild, I would attack you, even if you weren’t in my food chain. I would go out of my way to attack you. If I were a lion and you were a tuna, I would swim out in the middle of the ocean and freaking eat you and then I’d bang your tuna girlfriend.
    Allen Gamble: OK, first off: a lion, swimming in the ocean. Lions don’t like water. If you placed it near a river or some sort of fresh water source, that make sense. But you find yourself in the ocean, 20 foot wave, I’m assuming off the coast of South Africa, coming up against a full grown 800 pound tuna with his 20 or 30 friends, you lose that battle, you lose that battle 9 times out of 10. And guess what, you’ve wandered into our school of tuna and we now have a taste of lion. We’ve talked to ourselves. We’ve communicated and said ‘You know what, lion tastes good, let’s go get some more lion’. We’ve developed a system to establish a beach-head and aggressively hunt you and your family and we will corner your pride, your children, your offspring.
    Terry Hoitz: How you gonna do that?
    Allen Gamble: We will construct a series of breathing apparatus with kelp. We will be able to trap certain amounts of oxygen. It’s not gonna be days at a time. An hour? Hour forty-five? No problem. That will give us enough time to figure out where you live, go back to the sea, get some more oxygen, and stalk you. You just lost at your own game. You’re outgunned and out-manned.
    [pause]
    Allen Gamble: Did that go the way you thought it was gonna go? Nope.

twonks

DT78, I think your response was a good one anyway.

It really isn’t worth getting into a shit storm with the guy.

If he is wrong then your bosses will know and see he’s a cock.

I might have said ‘glad to see your deluded as well as obnoxious’ 😀

legend
    Free Member

So he went on about how much better he is, and you had nothing to say back…………. awkward……….. does that mean he had a point?

bearnecessities

So he went on about how much better he is, and you had nothing to say back…………. awkward……….. does that mean he had a point?

Have you ever worked with met people? 😉

legend
    Free Member

I’ve met your mum.

See, it’s easy 😀

😉

bearnecessities

Great, can you tell me where she is please?!

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

The meaningful pause… and the use of the word “fascinating”.

“That’s eh……fascinating, thank you”

Don’t engaage these types it is rarely worth it.

Northwind

“Thank you for your, er, unique interpretation of events” or some variant thereof has got me through many bullshit work conversations

Wally

Long pause, smile “thanks”

McHamish
    Free Member

Your response was bang on in my opinion.

walla24
    Free Member

Alpha…..brilliant! Il be using that later

coopersport1
    Free Member

‘Unless I’m mistaken this meeting isn’t about blowing smoke up your departments arse so shall we continue with my meeting?’

Swelper
    Free Member

I think you are operating outside your sphere of knowledge

blurty

OP: I think your response was pretty good actually. Most companies don’t appreciate in-fighting in my experience; if you can rise above it & try to keep things on an even keel (See transactional analysis) then you will have come out of the exchange with credit.

Don’t sink down to their level, they’ll win because of their experience

edhornby

I’m with blurty – you said the right thing without heading for the lowest common denominator

sugdenr
    Free Member

DT you did it right in corporate land, the only thing better would maybe a prolonged silence before saying it.
    Depping at a mtg i said good morning to the director who didnt know me and in return asked pointedly if I had got lost and was in the wrong meeting, told him all the good ones were busy today so unfortunately he had to settle for me as i sat down next to him, his SLT who knew me pissed themselves laughing loudly. It clearly boiled his blood and he kept hid back to me the whole time. Sometimes self deprecation is just so perfect.

One I have heard used is ‘you have dillusions of adequacy’

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep your response was perfect, sometimes adding a stare or a chuckle can also help 🙂

I have asked if people have anything else to add or can we move along now?

Tiger6791

You are just like a Slinky, completely pointless and I want to push you down some steps.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Office put downs…’ is closed to new replies.