Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Office chair for a big old unit
  • hatter

Morning All

As a newly minted member of ‘generation WFH’ I’ve been spending a fair bit longer than I’m accustomed to in my decrepit old Ikea home office chair and the padding seems to have finally given up, leading to regular numb arse syndrome.

Really want something decent that will last and I have a budget to about £400, I’m pretty tall and broad (6 2″ and approx 18 stone) so was looking at a used Herman Miller Aeron in Size C but I’ve never actually sat in one and I can’t see a shop wanting to let me plant my shapely rear in one any time soon.

Also eyeballing the Secret Lab Titan gaming chairs as, once you get over the rather cringy ‘gamer’ aesthetics they’re supposedto be very good but there’s a month’s waiting list.

Any other recommendations or does anyone know anyone selling an Aeron Size C in good nick? There’s loads of B’s around but very few C’s.

Do I even need a size C?

Advise me hive mind!

bensales
    Free Member

6’2″, 17 stone, and very comfortable in a SecretLab Titan here. The plain black fake leather, and fabric versions are pretty discrete.

Or you can indulge your inner child and get a Batman one like I did 🙂

The Noble Chairs Hero is basically identical to the SL Titan as well, with a slightly shorter ETA. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gaming/gaming-chairs/noblechairs

hatter

Any notion of how good Secret lab are rfor long term spares suport? One of the things that appeals about getting an Aeron is the fact they can be repaired and serviced so should almost never end up in landfill.

b33k34

Looking into this at the start of lockdown there are some charts from Herman Miller telling you what size Aeron you need. They’re different for the new Aeron to the original model, and it seems to vary more by weight than height
    https://www.hermanmiller.com/content/dam/hermanmiller/documents/product_literature/other/ap_sizefitref_aeron_chairs.pdf
    http://www.aeronsale.com/size-chart.html

Looks like on the original size chart your’e definitely in the C category, but in the new chair still borderline. I’m 6′ 5″ but only 80kg and have spent time in many hours in both B and C chairs. The C is wider across the base and back so I reckon a good bet for you.

I replaced my old B Aeron with a Cosm from these guys. They had some great deals on new Aeron’s as well as Cosms but looks like they’ve all gone now. Regardless, they were good to deal with and their used Aeron’s are keenly priced (and they have C’s)

https://recycledbusinessfurniture.co.uk/product/herman-miller-graphite-aeron-task-chair-ce/

bensales
    Free Member

Any notion of how good Secret lab are rfor long term spares suport?

To be honest, no. I’ve only had mine a couple of months and nothing has gone wrong with it in that time, using full day every day. It’s well built and the components appear decent.

They have a spares page https://accessories.secretlab.co/collections/chair-parts although it looks like their supply-chain is currently being affected, unsurprisingly.

simon_g

Aeron is great.

Just bought a replacement lumbar support for mine from studiomodern, they do a refurb type c with all the options (adjustments, lumbar, etc) for £450.

jimdubleyou

I’m in the B or C zone, I’ve got a B. It’s pretty comfortable. I’ve never tried a C, but probably would have got one had there been any available when I was looking.

Mine came from Simply Aeron, and was a smidge under £500 for a fully loaded with new arm design.

This was 5 years ago, and it’s been worth every penny. It looks as good at the day I got it, with the exception of the layer of dust it seems to accumulate in all the little underseat bits.

I find the mesh a lot more comfortable on my sweaty backside than a leather or faux leather chair.

hatter

Lots of love for the Aerons, will check out those links. Looks like I do want a size C after all.

If anyone on here may be able to assist with sourcing one…

globalti
    Free Member

Buy a second-hand chair and re-cover it? All you need is a couple of yards of cloth and a staple gun.

hatter

The recycled business furniture place in High Wycombe that b33k34 mentioned have 2nd hand size C’s for £325 + VAT, with the adjustable armrests etc.

Could have a winner, thanks.

FuzzyWuzzy

I have a Secret Lab Titan to – one thing to note is the base is very firm which can take some getting used to. No idea on spares either, had it a year or so now and no issues (that said I probably only used to sit on it 1 hour a day max before lockdown so it didn’t get a lot of use).

hatter

Well I’ve ordered the Aeron, if I don’t get on with it then the Secret Lab Titan is plan B.

Thanks again all.

rossburton
    Free Member

A bit late to the party but I love my Humanscale Liberty. I’ve had it 12 years or so now and it’s still in excellent condition, used 9-5 every day.

piha
    Free Member

When buying an office chair from the internet, how do you decide it is the correct one? Size, shape, arm + back position etc all matter right?

flanagaj
    Free Member

Lots of love for the Aerons

+1 Pricey, but they are by far the best office chair.

rhinofive

Same height and have been a stone (or two) either way and am now several years into an Eames that still feels boxfresh

ElShalimo

Has anyone got a Steelcase Please task chair?

They look nice but can’t seem to find the dimensions for them

piha
    Free Member

If anyone is interested, The Office Furniture Store Ltd are doing 35% off Humanscale chairs at the moment. Lots of other discounts and offers on there website too.

hatter

The 2nd hand Aeron is here, definatly used and of 2012 vintage but all seems in order and the mesh bits you actually sit on look damn near new…. one possible hitch though.

I’m running it on the highest setting, by choice I’d have it a little big higher, there’s a bit of play where the gas cylinder slots into the base and the bottom of the cyclinder itself seems to be almost touching the floor, looks like it’s sunk lower through the base than it should.

Ringing them tomorrow as this doesn’t seem right, hopefully it’s an easy fix.

b33k34

I’m running it on the highest setting, by choice I’d have it a little big higher, there’s a bit of play where the gas cylinder slots into the base and the bottom of the cyclinder itself seems to be almost touching the floor, looks like it’s sunk lower through the base than it should.

Did you get anywhere? I sold my Aeron but from memory the cylinder did sit strangely low and there might also have been a bit of movement there BUT it did go high enough for me and I’m 6’5″- if it really doesn’t have enough lift for you that’s odd.

I seem to remember mine looked like this
    https://cityusedofficefurniture.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/20171011_111038_resized.jpg
    or
    https://www.barkhamofficefurniture.co.uk/ekmps/shops/169b3c/images/herman-miller-aeron-size-b-adjustable-arms-posture-fit–11900-p.jpg

but this image shows something different – https://www.officeresale.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Herman-Miller-Aeron-2.jpg

ElShalimo

Thread resurrection: I’m looking for a new/refurb office chair max £200. Any recommendations?

I’m 6ft 1.5in, medium torso length but long of leg and arms, probably 15.5st nowadays too.

☹️

ElShalimo

Anyone know any decent used office furniture shops in West Yorkshire?

juanking

I just got a refurbished one from 2ndhnd. I went for the same as in the office of a Steelcase Please v2 for £220 posted. They are excellent chairs which are highly adjustable for my 6ft 2 88kg frame.

ElShalimo

Thanks

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Office chair for a big old unit’ is closed to new replies.