Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Off topic – a question about wet rooms/shower enclosures
  • wallop

Sorry guys, but you’re always the font of all knowledge.

We are in the process of getting a new bathroom, and this will include a separate shower.

Sadly we aren’t having a wet room – just a slimline stone tray and a glass screen.

We’d like something like this:

My question is – would we be spraying water all over the bathroom and should we really have an end panel as well? Like this:

(apologies for bigness)

Anyone got any experience of option 1?

matt_outandabout

My question is – would we be spraying water all over the bathroom and should we really have an end panel as well

Depends what you are doing in the shower… 😉
    I would, it is sooo difficult to not get water everywhere – and you can bet that guests or kids won’t be as fussy as you are.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve fitted similar in the past, and a few months later went back to fit the end panel as they were splashing water all over the place.

It would depend on the power of your shower obviously, but I personally think it looks better with the end panel anyway.

cinnamon_girl

Are gals permitted to answer your question? 😉

I have a shower with a two piece glass screen (one piece is curved), see link. The tray is shallow and two different heights.

http://www.coram.co.uk/glassproduct.asp?productID=3

Now … water does not splash outside of glass BUT, and this will sound really pathetic, it can be a little drafty not being completely enclosed.

The other thing to bear in mind is that it’s really easy for hair to be blocking the plughole which will result in the water level rising!

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’d definitely fit the end panel, doesn’t take anything away from the aesthetics to be fair!

hs125
    Free Member

Mine is more like option 2. With a large fixed shower head directly above, no water will leave the enclosure, until you get in and stand under it. Then you will get a small amount of fine spray will make it’s way out. I don’t find this enough to be a problem, as it is such a small amount. Less than a wet footprint.
    Also I don’t have the second movable shower head, as I thought it could lead to problems.
    I think any shower that is not completely enclosed will have some water find it’s way out onto the floor, but I think it is much easier keeping clean a shower with no door, no hinges, no magnetic or rubber seals and no overlapping glass.

wallop

Thank you folks (another term for a group of people of either sex 😉 😆 ).

All of your answers are really helpful.

cinnamon_girl

😆

crikey
    Free Member

I think I speak for the majority when I say that I’m disappointed by the lack of soapy Cinnamon Girl in this thread.

mogrim

Had a similar shower setup in my last flat, albeit the side wall wasn’t clear glass. The side wall went to the end of the tray, no end panel. No problem with spray covering the rooom.

Stoner
    Free Member

here’s ours.
    End panel AND a half door. It keeps the splash in the cubicle – and it’s a big cubicle.

Word of advice though – any open shower cubicle like that will suck cooler air from low in the bathroom in through the opening and past your goolies. You should know these things.

wallop

I haven’t got any goolies, but thanks – I’ll bear that in mind 😆

leffeboy

Got one pretty much like the first pic you put up, with the shower at the far end. No problem to far with water getting everywhere even though I though there would be. I wouldn’t worry about it.

If you want I can give you measurements of length of shower tray and how far the shower head is in

wallop

That would be really helpful – ta. I’m in the process of pricing up a 1200mm shower tray and screen. Shower head would be on the end wall.

djglover
    Free Member

I have the exact layout with end bit. It still sprays out, your first pic will soak the room

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

My 2p’s worth: ours has a half “door” at the end – opposite the shower – so more like photo 2. As our shower head is directly overhead and pointing to the floor there is only a really small amount of spray that gets through the “open” bit. If we had a wall mounted shower head (like in Stoner’s photo) there would probably be a different result without a full wall opposite it.

djglover
    Free Member

any open shower cubicle like that will suck cooler air from low in the bathroom

Underfloor heating will help that

scaredypants

wot cinnamon stoner said about chilly draughts round one’s goolies – fit a door

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Off topic – a question about wet rooms/shower enclosures’ is closed to new replies.