Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Off to the BMX track later, any tips?
  • mattk
    Free Member

I’ve decided to diversify my riding styles, and mix in some extra Gnar.

So i picked up a 24″ DMR jump bike at the weekend, and tonight will be my first trip to a BMX track in 20 years. I’m not deluded enough to think i’ll be laying down some wicked sick moves, but i’d like to at least enjoy myself.

I intend to have a go at pumping and maybe try some little jumps.

Any words of wisdom would be gratefully received!

_tom_
    Free Member

Prepare to be nackered, pumping on bmx tracks is hard work!

TiRed

Go during school time 😉

MadPierre

Ask the kids at the track for advice. Probably get more sense than on here? 😉

Milkie
    Free Member

Listen to da Kidz. They like helping the oldz and know what they are talkin boutz init!

Watch some videos on youtube, so the technique is fresh in your head. 😉
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqsNioznUC0[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

djaustin – Member
    Go during school time

^^This^^

Or prepare for a mocking! 😉

xiphon
    Free Member

I went to Preston BMX track for the first time on Saturday – on 20″, not 24″ (although my mate borrowed a 24″ to test out).

Very knackering… but so much fun. We’re going back on race night, and most likely be doing weekly gate practise sessions…

I got my ass handed to me on several runs by a 8 year old. To be fair, he did have 2yrs BMX racing experience….

At the start of the session, I could barely ride the twitchy little bike in a straight line. At the end of the session, I was gapping the medium (6ft gap or so) doubles…

Really encouraging to see yourself progress so much, in such a short time period.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

At the start of the session, I could barely ride the twitchy little bike in a straight line. At the end of the session, I was gapping the medium (6ft gap or so) doubles…

Really encouraging to see yourself progress so much, in such a short time period.

In 3 years I’m still not this good!

grim168
    Free Member

Keep saying I’ll nip down to our local track (Preston). At 43 years old it’ll certainly be during school ho
    urs

xiphon
    Free Member

grim168

If you want to meet up down at the track, give me a shout. There are several of us ‘beginners’ (aged 12, 28, and 30…).

The bike in question…. stark contrast to a 200mm travel DH rig I’m used to…. 😀

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

gosport bmx track?

ahwiles
    Free Member

take it easy. don’t force anything to happen.

mattk
    Free Member

I must admit, i am a little worried about looking like a silly 33 year old who should know better.

It’s a new track recently built in Tamworth, so i reckon it’ll still be quite busty with enthusiastic locals, and hopefully a few other beginners.

I’ll look out for other “Old enough to know better” types and see if i can ride with them.

thepodge
    Free Member

I think I’ll be up at ours tomorrow, I should really get a more suitable bike

ahwiles
    Free Member

mattk – Member

I must admit, i am a little worried about looking like a silly 33 year old who should know better.

don’t worry, i’m a silly 34 yr old, who doesn’t know any better…

podge, if i see you there, you can ‘ave a go on me cruiser!

🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

Cool, I nearly bought a cruiser but had to get new forks for the big bike instead

You riding Steel city dh again this year?

scruff
    Free Member

Is the track at tamworth a good one? I was just looking at the website but realized it was Tamworth BMX club in Australia…

mattk
    Free Member

Scruff – I’ll let you know tomorrow.

There was an event a couple of weeks ago, which the local councillor and the BMX club attended. I am presuming it was an official opening, so it should be complete and open to public use.

If not i’ll get a good look at it anyway.

ahwiles
    Free Member

marshalling.

last year i came last, actually last.

my racing days are over – i can’t bear the shame any more.

🙁

mindmap3
    Free Member

Mat, I’d be interested to know what it’s like. I’m local and just getting a bike back up and running after being in the cycling widerness for a couple of years (I blame the Patriot 66 that I bought and hated).

docrobster
    Free Member

Knackering is right, went to bole hills with my 10 yr old lad, his mate and mate’s 48yr old dad all on completely unsuitable bikes for an hour yesterday. God it’s hard work

crazy-legs

I’ve been on the Manchester one (at the velodrome) a few times. Good fun but it’s bloody knackering. And wear some clothing you don’t mind getting sweaty, dusty and scuffed/torn.

You WILL crash. Probably just as a crowd of 10 yr old kids walks past.

However, once you get used to the bike, it’s really enjoyable and it’s great seeing yourself and other newbies progress so quickly. We went from pootling round the Manchester track barely getting our wheels off the ground to doing gate starts off the 5m ramp in about 25 minutes!

donks
    Free Member

34,s ok I’m 39 and making a arse of my self, although not so much the track as the skate park, and trust me when the “cool kids” who can ride turn up I get really shown up but what the heck. Managed a decent sized manual though the other day, pretty much end to end of the park which I was very proud of until some moody looking creature with a hoody casually manualled over a couple of jumps and then continued around in circles then hopped to a 2 or 3 foot platform and straight across.
    Might venture up the track though and see if any of this has rubbed off and see if I can last more than a couple of laps these days.

grim168
    Free Member

xiphon,
    Cheers, will do that.

flashes
    Free Member

I’m starting at 53, should be interesting…………

theflatboy
    Free Member

that sunn. big want.

thepodge
    Free Member

That Sunn looks like my old Sunn. Good to see it being used.

kayak23

38 years old here and loving my bmx. It does get kind of frustrating when some skinny little hoodie effortlessly clears a double with a stylish whip and it takes you such a lot of effort.
    I don’t feel ‘too’ self-conscious down at bmx tracks but do venture to skateparks every now and then where the effect is a bit worse…

_tom_
    Free Member

There’s no need to feel like a knob, people on mtbs in their trail centre uniform look just as odd as people on bmxes!

VanHalen

pedal like hell is the best advice.

its a shame brighton bmx track is totally shagged. loved it when it was still rideable.

That sunn bmix needs higher bars and the seat lowered. i love mine.

mindmap3
    Free Member

That Sunn is ace.

I lived in Sheffield for a while and spent many a happy summer evening up at Bolehills….never did clear the back three (only the first one).

I nearly won a cheapo BMW on the bay tonight….might keep an eye out for one now that there is a track in Tamworth. I dabbled in BMX riding when I was at uni, but sucked big time…..I went to a few parks and was hopeless. I felt really intimidated by the park creatures that were rather handy.

kimbers

i live in brentford and have a felt brink 24

hayes bmx track is only 4 miles away, but ive only ever made it there on the mtb-and im crap and its hard work, its too far to cycle on the bmx!

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m 38…..this is my warm up before crit racing (cos I fall off rollers!)
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v9VK1f-hKI[/video]

flashes
    Free Member

beginning to agree about the bars……

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Off to the BMX track later, any tips?’ is closed to new replies.