Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Off to Snowdon on Thursday
  • mk1fan
    Free Member

Off to Snowdon tomorrow for a couple of days with a couple of other forum members.

Riding/sessioning the Lanberis on Friday. Saturday we're going up the Lanberis down the Rangers then up and over the mountain opposite the Rangers path and then down straight into the campsite.

Taking the G-Spot (old BB pivot version) for it's third outing and hoping for at least clear weather this time 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

Don't forget about the voluntary rule thing about not riding on the Mountain during the day

forge197
    Free Member

Edric 64 fortunately that starts in May

http://www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/pages/snowdn_volunt.htm

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Edric64
    Free Member

That's good then .There is another thread where someone thought it was April

forge197
    Free Member

Tis good as that would be an early start otherwise 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

dont forget more tubes

forge197
    Free Member

that's actually a good point thanks Mike

portlyone

Was there today and did the Rangers Path (up the Llanberis). Glorious weather, apart from the icy conditions on top.

The café is closed at the top.

Enjoy!

forge197
    Free Member

Is that café ever open?

How far up is the ice or just on the summit?

oxnop
    Free Member

We did the llanberis up and rangers down – we loved the rangers descent. We cleared about 90% i had a big off on the snow on top!! – my GF cleared about 85% (without falling) of the descent – I was really proud until she decided to lean her forks against a wall and scratched the stanchion. Turned out to be an expensive ride!!!

Also – I've been up snowdon 5 times and it's never been clear. On Friday it was glorious and clear. Hope you get the same.

forge197
    Free Member

I've never been up and it been clear this weekend looks the best chance of that ever unless there is a sudden weather change!!

Scratched stanchion nasty business

portlyone

It's snow more than ice, and just at the summit. Mainly just on the train tracks now.

mr_mills
    Free Member

oxnop – was that you lot on Santa Cruzes on Friday??

mk1fan
    Free Member

Excellent.

forge197, see you tomorrow.

forge197
    Free Member

mk1fan – see you tomorrow, looks like we will be denied a summit coffee 🙂

oxnop
    Free Member

Mr_mills – yep it was. We were stopped sooo many times and asked why we were all on Santa cruz's!!

Were you on the scandal or kona?

mk1fan
    Free Member

There's always the vending machine.

Was that ground anchor the 'Hardie'?

mr_mills
    Free Member

Were you on the scandal or kona?

Neither! Me on Mythic and my mate on his Scott. We got to the top as you started to come back down. We didn't see anyone else on bikes except you. We caught you up and went past at the bottom while you were stopped talking to someone. That was my first go at Snowdon and I loved it (due to the fact that I didn't die on the way down).

oxnop
    Free Member

Oh yeah I remember- you were on the White mythic ( looked nice )

yeah we missed the turn to head back over to llanberis – I think you two were stood by the waymarker – my GF ran back up the hill to ask if you knew the direction but you had gone back in the opposite direction- did you go all the way back up? Cos we didn't see you both again.

forge197
    Free Member

mk1fan – will mail you

mr_mills
    Free Member

Ah yes – I knew exactly where that right turn was as I had asked on here beforehand. My mate had the route on his Garmin and we headed back as he thought we had gone wrong. You can turn where the little marker is or turn off a bit earlier and go diagonally and it brings you to the same place (it's not quite as steep if you go that way). So we went back a bit, turned near the gate and went that way back over to Llanberis.

lister

Take the weight hit and run DH tubes, makes a huge difference and should put off lenghty and cold puncture stops. You WILL end up hitting something harder and faster than you might normally!

hitman
    Free Member

Off to Snowdon tomorrow for a couple of days with a couple of other forum members.

Riding/sessioning the Lanberis on Friday. Saturday we're going up the Lanberis down the Rangers then up and over the mountain opposite the Rangers path and then down straight into the campsite.

Taking the G-Spot (old BB pivot version) for it's third outing and hoping for at least clear weather this time

mk1fan – what time you setting out tomorrow?i've never done Snowdon before but might be able to make it up tomorrow for the morning if you don't mind someone tagging along? Its either that or do it on Sunday.
    Btw are downhill inner tubes essential?? Is the best route up LLanberis and down the Ranger path??

Andyhilton
    Free Member

DH tubes aren't essential. I went up with Portlyone on Weds. There were three of us all on hardtails. Chameleon, Stiffee and an Airborne Mosquito. Not a puncture between us all day!

freeform5spot
    Free Member

have night ridden Snowdon twice now – highly recommended!

hitman
    Free Member

cheers – whats the best route guys?

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Up Llanberis and down Rangers, then cut over to Telegraph Valley. Have a look in the STW vimeo thingy. There's a vid in there.

hitman
    Free Member

cheers Andy, thats what I thought 🙂

Ti29er
    Free Member

2hrs to the top from the railway car park.
    15 mins on top.
    Then it takes a while to do the Rangers and the Telegraph but DO NOT come straight back down the up-route though.

Don't forget the restriction on cycling on the mountain which is now in force (I think).

forge197
    Free Member

hitman – didn't see this post before we left.

But in answer having walked up Rangers and one of the other paths Llanberis is the easiest

zokes
    Free Member

Don't forget the restriction on cycling on the mountain which is now in force (I think).

Which starts 1st of May…

forge197
    Free Member

and ends 30th September 🙂

mk1fan
    Free Member

Awesome weekend. Came down the Rangers then up and down what we think is telegraph straight into the campsite.

Sorry Hitman, didn't see your post. There was a guy on a red and white Trek. Was thet you?

hitman
    Free Member

Sorry Hitman, didn't see your post. There was a guy on a red and white Trek. Was thet you?

couldn't make it in the end – see my other post in the chat forum 🙁

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I was up on Friday walking my dogs… Saw 3 guys at the top.. 1 Cove.. 1 mythic and a Chumba… Guess it was you guys..

Was a great day for it..

Lucky buggers…

forge197
    Free Member

Teetosugars – yep that was us, though the mythic was a Knolly. What a day though even more exciting was the fact Saturday was a rerun and we went down the Rangers which was excellent 🙂

hitman – just seen that, hope you get it sorted.

RustySpanner

Waves at Oxnop and Mr Mills.

Ms Spanner & I were the bods chatting to Oxnop and his party at the midpoint on the Rangers path. We decided to walk up it again as a bit of a recce to see if we fancied riding down.
    Er, that'll be a big fat 'NO' then!

The guy on the rigid Scandal 29er and the lad on the Kona reckoned it was quite an easy descent!?!

Maximum respect to anyone who can ride that all the way down. The Railway path looked like it would have been good fun for a blast down, but not even going to think about the Ranger – bit too much for our meagre skills.

Oxnop, nice speaking to you, better luck next time with the ice creams!

forge197
    Free Member

There were only a couple of parts that mk1fan and I couldn't quite get the line right or we couldn't see the line, our other mate did walk a fair bit more on the way down.

It was certainly easier for us to ride down than to push the bikes up the rangers path which we did last year 😯

Technically it is brilliant fun a nice challenge and great to look at a bit of trail and have to think which line it going to work and then do it and succeed it was very satisfying, we didn't do it in one go but broke the decent into sections which helped.

I don't think it's an easy decent plenty of oppurtunity to have a nasty incident so it's not to be tackled with any complacency will be doing it again in October hopefully I should think if it's wet think the decent down rangers will be a whole different experience.

The above is relation to the Rangers path the Llanberris is pretty straight forward in comparison though still has it's moments of course 🙂

devon_roadie
    Free Member

I came off going down the Llanberis path on my hardtail, and broke a couple of ribs. Will have to try the Rangers path

forge197
    Free Member

I came off on my hardtail when I first did the Llanberis path, didn't bust anything, but the armour took the impact and I had a massive bruise in the shape of the armour where it dissipated the impact 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Off to Snowdon on Thursday’ is closed to new replies.