Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Off to see Roni Size tonight!
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

20 years since New Forms was released!

Playing live set in Perth tonight with some local talent doing “warm up” sets. He’s not on until 1am…. Will be caning some espresso martinis I thinks!

jam-bo

I went to see him about 20yrs ago at Legends of the Dark Black. He never showed up. Was an awesome
    night though and I’m not sure anyone really noticed….

dannybgoode

Nice – saw him a few years ago in Sheffield. T’was awesome. Listened to New Forms on the commute the other morning as well – quality album.

enfht
    Free Member

Will be caning some espresso martinis

Oh how times have changed 🙁 Enjoy.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I saw him at London Village Underground a couple of years ago doing the live thing rather than DJing. It was their first show and it was underwhelming. I’ve heard it’s improved a lot so I hope you have a good one.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I know…. It’s about as much buzz and I can get these days with a grown up job, wife and kids! Gah to be young again…. Hope I make it to 1am! hahah

Houns

Saw him DJ at Glastonbury a couple of years back, awesome

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I used to live on his road in Bristol. Someone broke into his Mercedes whilst in Miami ,we put a bin liner over the window and he came round and had a smoke with us to say thanks.

Was a good time to be in Bristol as Full Cycle were massive then. 1998-2002

WindRush off planet V was always a favourite.

Have a good one OP [video]http://youtu.be/5R5P0Wjenp8[/video]

seosamh77
    Free Member

saw the new forms set at glastonbury, 98 I think i was, was magic. Bought on the back of that, it’s still an album I listen to every now and then. 🙂

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I forgot Li Li, Do Die and Roni Size

Still rips. Fantastic

[video]http://youtu.be/_a1AJ8YdgbI[/video]

braddersrm
    Free Member

@howsyourdad1

I agree with being in Bristol around then. Me and a couple of mates tried to break into the scene down there as young 20 somethings. Every tuesday we had a ‘liquid’ set in Revolutions, where Roni Size, Krust and Die would come and chill on the sofas listening. Felt epic for us. Also played at lakota, bar latino, dimensions to name a few. We lived opposite Creation, above O’Neils and whenever there was a big gig on there we would set up the after party in the flats. The full cycle guys would make an appearance, as well as a few of the london dnb crowd who were playing the area. They were really good days.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ha @bradersrm I went to a guy called MC Raptor’ s flat, he lived opposite creation. I think Ed Rush went once for an afterparty . Good lad ! Bar Latino was great !

myti
    Free Member

Doubly jealous of you seeing Roni size and being in Perth! Bet the weather is better than here today.

Saw him at Ashton Court festival in Bristol and New forms was the 1St d and b music I ever bought. Enjoy.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yeah a mellow 30c or so today….

Epic night.

Got into Perth way earlier than we expected. Sat and had a drink and thought we’d do a bit of a bar to bar wander. After the first drink we literally stumbled across a free music even called WAMFEST. Free gig? Live acts, food, and beer? Saw some brilliant local talent from Stella Donnelly, Lilt and a female garage punk band called Boat Show.

Wandered from there, found a Greek restaurant/bar near to the club. Espresso martinis and ouzo (I was quite drunk by then and thought ouzo was a good idea) and then into the club. I’d remembered clubs to be louder. Like, nose-vibrating, glasses vibrating. Also I’d forgotten that since they stopped smoking in bars and clubs, PEOPLE BLOODY STINK.

Nevertheless. Roni was awesome. Got ridiculously close to him. He’s tiny! But proper good gig. Got in at 430 and now planning a “movie day” with the kids while I recover.

Yuss!!!!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

myti
    Free Member

Awesome! I wonder if clubs are quieter these days due to h and s. I definitely have hearing damage from a particular night at fabric a long time ago. Also noticed smelly people and emptier clubs after the ban as half the audience would be outside smoking at any time.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Had to move away from one bloke who was a “hands in the air” type with his muscle t-shirt on. Dude…. Seriously?

braddersrm
    Free Member

@howsyourdad1

That would be my mate John! I beleive he still dabbles in a bit of MCing every now and then. In fact, I need to get in touch with him as he has a load of my records!

BigJohn

I always assumed the OP was more an Aphex Twin fan.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Funnily enough I listened to my New Forms album for the first time in years yesterday.

It’s an original 1997 album and from memory was bought from my local record shop on the day of the release, I was well ahead of the Mercury prize back then! ;-D

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I always assumed the OP was more an Aphex Twin fan

How so??

😀

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@bradersm ha that’s mad. small world. I’d send you a PM but couldn’t see how on your profile page. yes I met him through a few of my mates from Surrey. you probably know a few of them.They lived around Park Street whilst we were up in Montpelier. I see a few of them now and then at weddings and we usually end up talking about house parties in Bristol etc. All of my records are in storage and I haven’t moved them up from my old house yet. I’ve got to get on it and sort that.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Off to see Roni Size tonight!’ is closed to new replies.