Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Off to Jungfrau in Swiz – Any recommendations?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

As above – any must do’s – on and off piste?

Edit: Skiing in Grindelwald 🙂

crispo
    Free Member

If you mean in winter then there was a bit of chat about Wengen on this thread:

Wengen Linky

Which resort are you going to?

And if you mean summer then im interested to know too because I still havent got round to biking there yet!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yes sorry – Skiing on Sat – going to Grindelwald but got the regional ski pass 🙂

Read the link thanks – all good 🙂 – wondered if anyone has experience of Grindelwald itself?

neilforrow

if you have got some time off… go see the trummelbach falls

foxyrider
    Free Member

My wife is still recovering after many hip ops so will be taking it easy so maybe a day trip is on the cards 🙂 I guess the trummelbach falls will be frozen 😉

neilforrow

shouldnt be, the bit you can walk into / viewing part is well down into the vally, if anything this time of year there might be too much water…

foxyrider
    Free Member

Ahh OK 🙂 Tick 🙂

tonyd

Never been but always wanted to go. Go to Grindelwald and check out the Eiger! Take the train up the mountain and have some lunch, found this:

http://www.raileurope.com/activities/jungfraujoch/index.html

There are apparently stations on the way up where you can get out and look out of viewing galleries straight down the face of the Eiger.

I used to climb a lot and have always been fascinated by the Eiger, have read loads about the first ascent and previous/subsequent attempts. Take some light reading with you to get you in the mood:

Bah, now I’m jealous. Be sure to post photos when you get back!

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Skied and boarded in both Grindelwald and Wengen. They are both great places, although I only got to see a very limmited amount of Wengen as the visibility was at best about 100m Really nice little village type atmospheres with plenty of diverse pistes to suit all types. Have fun, kids and a complete lack of money are keeping us firmly planted in the UK for another winter. Make sure you get your head around the fenicular train at Wengen brings you up to the resort from the valley bottom and also takes you further up the mountain to start skiing although their must be lifts out of the village as well.

BadlyWiredDog

The train up to the Jungfraujoch is ace, but expensive and it’s kind of like Disneyworld on a Glacier up there, you’re sort of fenced in but I guess if you’re not used to high mountain scenery, it’s quite impressive. The engineering of the trainline itself is astonishing, goes right through the middle of the Eiger with windows on both north and south sides.

I’m guessing that it’ll be snowed up, but if it’s passable, there’s a walk called the Eiger Trail that drops down to Kleine Sheidegg under the Nordwand that’s worth the hour or two of moderate effort – mostly downhill – if you’re into the history of the face: some pics, though in the summer.

tonyd

Great link BWD. That’s it, as soon as my kids are old enough to walk any distance that’s where we’re going, tent and all! Might be waiting a while…. <sigh>

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yes – def going up to Eiger and perhaps fork out for the restaurant one lunch time!

Thanks for the piccies – getting excited now 🙂

We are regular skiers but always impressed by the mountain views 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Off to Jungfrau in Swiz – Any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.