Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Off to Dalbeattie, which Stanes ?
  • grantmccall63
    Free Member

Looks like I will be heading down to Dumfries next weekend and have access to a house in Dalbeattie. Of the 4 Stanes down there which should I tackle to get a Glentress or Innerleithen red run type experience ?

shortcut

Try Kirroughtree but do red and black for some proper fun.

prawny

Kirroughtree is good. Nearest ones to Dalbeattie are Dalbeattie (duh) Mabie and Ae. Don’t think you can go wrong really.

I’ve only done kirroughtree, depending on how long you’ve got I’d do the red and black or just the red (you can stick jabberwocky in as well) I did the black on its own and the first half at least was pretty dull.

seavers
    Free Member

I’d do the red and black

This. Worth making time for.

jswain90
    Free Member

Was up this way last weekend. Kirroughtree red and black routes were great although physically demanding – I really enjoyed this trail though. Dalbeattie forrest was okay but seemed to be a lot of climbing for the descents (But it is still good fun). My friends rode Mabie forrest on Saturday afternoon and they said that there was a few quite steep ascents but it was fast and flowy on the descents.

AE forrest was really enjoyable – some nice technical downs, they have just put a new diversion in near the wind farm which looks only a few weeks old, the trails near the diversions are quite fast and well maintained, they lead into some table top jumps which I only ‘roll’ over but they look like you could do a 360 on them if you had the skils :-).

My order of preferences would be : –

Kirroughtreee – day one
    Mabie ( on friends advice) + AE forrest – you might be able to do these both in a day
    Dalbeattie – last choice. (But still some great riding)

legend
    Free Member

Kirroughtree
    Dalbeattie (don’t get the earlier comment about up versus down – the while thing’s basically flat but surprisingly good)
    Mabie
    Drumlanrig

Ae isn’t as enjoyable as any of them imo

Trekster

grantmccall63 – Member
    Looks like I will be heading down to Dumfries next weekend and have access to a house in Dalbeattie. Of the 4 Stanes down there which should I tackle to get a Glentress or Innerleithen red run type experience ?

Would that be Gibbs hoose?
    None of the D&G Stanes will give you a GT “experience” …. They are all better but different experiences 😉

As said above Kirry red/black is the ace in the pack. 1hr drive.

Dalbeattie you have to work for your rewards. No 6ml uphill followed by a6ml downhill aka GT & Inners 🙄

Mabie is up, down, up, down etc with some berms and rocky bits to keep it interesting

The new stuff at Ae is not a “diversion” it is permanent. Again, like Dalbeattie, a bit of effort is required to get the best out of the trail. Has the best trail head cafe in the area tho…. 😆

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Off to Dalbeattie, which Stanes ?’ is closed to new replies.