Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Off the bike for 6 mths How to build back up?
  • donkeydave

Hi pretty cr@p six months fitness wise, I used to cycle every day commuting and riding for fun and had done so for many years but around six months ago I had a SI joint problem which took a long while to clear and get on top off, following that a chest infection and on the back of the chest infection pleurisy.
    I feel as though the worst is behind me, (I know these problems are not a big thing compared to a lot of other peoples problems).
    Have just went out and covered 1.5 miles with my son he loved it I felt very out of it and very unfit.
    How do I build back up?
    Kind of all ready know the answer to this but thought I would ask.

Edukator
    Free Member

Gradually.

cloudnine
    Free Member

100 mile marathon ride tomorrow.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    plecostomus
    Free Member

Get on the bike and pedal it

donkeydave

Thought this is how it would go 😆 thanks

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Based anywhere up north?

donkeydave

Unfortunately no sorry.
    Its hard my fitness and confidence levels are way below they have ever been.
    Perhaps I need to find some folks locally to ride with.

donkeydave

Ok five miles today with the young un and three pints in pub, but bug is back, time for the summer bike I think.
    Its amazing how much good a laugh, mud and sun can make you feel 😀

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I have this to “look forward to”. Surgery should be next month, then potentially another 6 weeks off…

Fortunately I live a couple of miles from the end of the Parkamoor descent in the Lakes 😉 That said my plan to build back up is going to start with gentle road rides from here to Coniston and back (about 5 – 6 miles of undulating back roads) before venturing onto trails. I will have been off the bike for 8 – 9 months by then though.

donkeydave

Its hard and I have put on a lot of excess lard around the middle, but my biggest thing is how much my fitness has dropped, I think it will be a long hard slog back to fitness.
    Saying that though three weeks ago I was worried I would never ride again I was that ill.
    Capt.Kronos, Good luck hope every thing goes well if you was closer I would ask for a slow ride out!

grahamt1980

Where are you based, there are people on here from all over and am sure people will happily head out for a ride and a chat

peatybike
    Free Member

Definitely don’t rush, after I ruined my back I got back on it alittle too soon thinking I was king sh*t before finding out very quickly it isn’t as easy as you think.

Lots of little rides, little and often. I got out doing about 1-3 miles to begin with, now 6 months later I’m back doing my regular 40 mile loop no dramas.

Ease your way back in 🙂

Pete

donkeydave

I am not to far away from Clent, West Midlands.
    If any one is around I would be up for a nice easy ride round.
    I did get a few peoples numbers about a year ago but my back / SI joint had started to get bad so never really had the fitness or confidence to ride with others.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Off the bike for 6 mths How to build back up?’ is closed to new replies.