Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Off road touringin the Hebrides with a beginner? Help please
  • Jezkidd
    Free Member

So, I’ve never shared my love of all things bike with my partner so I was a little surprised when on reading an article in the grauniad on off road touring in the Hebrides she expressed an interest.

I know nowt about the hebrides apart from it rains a lot and it’s pretty. I wondered if anyone’s ridden there and if it’d be possible to put an easy point to point multi day route together?

Cheers,

Jez

Teetosugars
    Free Member

You need to get hold of Druidh or SpeyStout.. both have toured there IIRC..

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/

skink2020

Are you goin north to south? South to north? Have a base and just doin big day rides?
    I’ve cycled the isles from barra to the butt of lewis a few times.
    Any specific questions, please ask.
    Also, when it rains up there it’s usually heavy but brief.
    Can be a fair bit of wind mind you.
    Oatcakes and pate are all you need for fuel.

druidh
    Free Member

There is no off-road tour. You can do a road tour with some optional off-road bits but the latter are quite “committed” and not suitable for a beginner IMHO.

grum
    Free Member

I would say you’re much better off just doing a road tour TBH. My GF’s mum lives up there – she read that article and thought it was fairly inaccurate in places and they made some slightly suspect claims.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Lots on the CTC forum about this. Go for the Touring and expeditions section

josemctavish
    Free Member

Great place to tour and if the wind is with you then there’s no tough hills to deal with! The wife and I did it by taking the bikes on the train to Oban, then bought Island Hopscotch 23 tickets. This route uses 45 ferries and goes from Oban –> Barra –> Eriskay –> Uists –> Berneray –> Harris –> Skye –> Mallaig. Then we jumped the train home – this also has the benefit of two stunning train rides!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Off road touringin the Hebrides with a beginner? Help please’ is closed to new replies.