Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Off-road route Basingstoke Navigation to Swinley – anyone?
  • slowboydickie

Since they put up the fencing I’m not sure which off-road routes are accessible / legal. Can anyone advise?

I’m trying to piece together a long distance route along ridgeway then Goring to Swinley, Swinley to Basingstoke navigation, then to North Downs Way to Dorking.

Any suggestions for connecting Swinley and the canal?

Muchos gracias in advance.

Rich

dovebiker

If you take the Basingstoke Canal to Frimley and then navigate your way from Deepcut, Frith Hill, Westend Common and across to Bagshot Heath – you’ll probably need to ride a short section of the B3015 across the M3 and A30 and then straight across Bagshot Heath to Swinley. Haven’t ridden that way for a long time, so don’t know which are actually open as the MoD have been busy putting up new fences in places.

cinnamon_girl

Do you need to go via Basingstoke? You’re heading there from Goring, yes? Sorry if being dim!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ive been looking for something similar, albeit from Reading to Mychett as a gravel route for a clubrun down to the canal center.

Theres various bits of the devils highway and a footpath allong the river west of sandhurst which look promising.

(Then back up via swinely, gorrick, wokingham, university farms, etc)

Edit:

Missed the navigation bit. You cant get out of porridgepots unless the gates are open. So your best bet is just head up the Maultway on the road, theres a few bits in the woods on the east side but not masses.

The other alternatives are long valley and ash ranges but they’re both subject to the gates being open.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Where at Swinley and where on the canal are you aiming?

Are you looking for the shortest possible route or something a bit more interesting?

masterdabber
    Free Member

From the Basingstoke Canal you can cross over one of the small footbridges into Porridgepots but, as already said, exit at the the top end (north) of Porridgepots will depend on whether the gates are open. In recent weeks they have been open over the weekend but it seems a bit hit and miss – do a search on the MOD website which seems to give opening times.
    If the gates are open you can continue off road up the east side of the Maultway. A short bit of road crossing the roundabout at Red Road and into Bagshot Heath. Continue there to the east of the Maultway – drop down to the tunnel under the M3 and continue heading north. Exit the Bagshot Heath area just south of the roundabout known as the American Golf Roundabout and across to a little dead end road known as Maultway North. At the end of that you’re basically into the Swinley area… lots of different route option there. Hope that makes sense!

masterdabber
    Free Member

Just realised I gave you a Canal to Swinley route (as per thread heading) but what you actually want is Swinley to Canal…. I guess all that I wrote still applies but in reverse with the Porridgepot gates being the question mark.

slowboydickie

Where at Swinley and where on the canal are you aiming?

Are you looking for the shortest possible route or something a bit more interesting?

Not fussed really. I will head along the devil’s highway to cross into crowthorne then up the bridleway to Wokingham. Happy for a more interesting alternative.

slowboydickie

Just realised I gave you a Canal to Swinley route (as per thread heading) but what you actually want is Swinley to Canal…. I guess all that I wrote still applies but in reverse with the Porridgepot gates being the question mark.

I will be going both ways, riding over to my in-laws this weekend in Wokingham, from Dorking.

slowboydickie

Do you need to go via Basingstoke? You’re heading there from Goring, yes? Sorry if being dim!

Heading Goring to Wokingham, to Swinley, then to North Downs Way to Dorking. Technically I don’t have to go along the canal tow path, just looking for a passable-in-winter off-road route.

Thanks everyone for contributions.

masterdabber
    Free Member

Just a further bit of info regarding gates openings into Porridgepot.
    Have a look here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/south-east-training-estate-firing-times/aldershot-training-area-closure-times-february-2020
    This shows Aldershot Training Area G2 (which I think Porridgepot is officially known as) access times.
    If I’m right it would indicate the gates will be open this weekend. If I’m wrong…. sorry but not too much road riding to bypass it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Off-road route Basingstoke Navigation to Swinley – anyone?’ is closed to new replies.