• This topic has 150 replies, 59 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 31 posts - 121 through 151 (of 151 total)
  • Off AND injury caused by road covered in SH_T by lazy farmer?
  • Talkemada
    Free Member

Like red light jumping?

S'ok as long as no-one gets hurt or is inconvenienced. As would a bit of mud on the road be, if it didn't pose any hazard to other road users.

Whayyawannaknow? Where to eat? Where to drink? Where to score?

Just use this thread rather than starting another; I'm bored with this one now anyway. It's done.

TooTall
    Free Member

Talkemada – Member
    I'm bored with this one now anyway. It's done.

Login or thread?

crikey
    Free Member

Ok, staying out in the docklands, need to know how accesible it is to get in and out lateish at night, and could also do with a recommendation for a few hours bike shop shopping while mrs crikey goes off looking around shoe shops…

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

but the law (despite being an ass) or rather it's representatives must distinguish between 1 or 2 day's worth of mud which will be gone in a few days or after the first rain and a consistent, accumulating problem.

it's like saying the punishment for chucking a coke can out of the car window should be the same as for fly tipping commercial waste over a period of months

molgrips
    Free Member

Clean up your own mess. End of.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Which part of the Docklands, Crikey? Canary Wharf area, or over towards City Airport?

CW has loads of bars and restaurants, although they can be a bit poncy and pricey. The City Airport area is a bit dire really; either soulless housing developments or rough council estates. Mind, it's only a short run on the DLR into town. The DLR runs until gone midnight weekdays, and at least until midnight on weekends. If you were in the centre, you could leave the pub etc at chucking out time, and get home ok.

Greenwich isn't far; DLR or a walk through the foot tunnel. Some nice pubs and eateries.There are some lovely riverside pubs down that way, as there are in Wapping.

Bike shopping will be limited to Evans CW, sadly. There's nowt good until you get into the centre of town.

If you fancy a pint while the missus is shlepping around the shops, then let me know and I'll pop down. Hmm, if you had a bike, I could show you some interesting local sights…

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

pop into Stratford for a pint, some class drinking establishments around there

Talkemada
    Free Member

Stratford! LOL!

I was cycling through there on Saturday; I have never seen such a colossal building project. It's **** enormous. Bigger even than Canary Wharf.

There are one or two nice pubs round there, but I have to say, it's not my first choice for a night out! 😕

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Talkemada – Member
    I'm bored with this one now anyway. It's done.

Login or thread?
    lol

Did anyone find out how deep this dried mud/sloppy slurry on the road was?
    That to me seems the only thing that would swing it one way or t'other

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

we found a secret pub in stratford, it's so rough round there that the landlord had no signs outside it and just kept watch for likely customers and invited them in 😆

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Talke – are you in the Docklands?

We were on the 6th floor of Anchorage Point for just over a year (next to Cascade building). It was quite pleasant really but missed the countryside.

crikey
    Free Member

I think its near the watersports centre at the far west end of the Royal victoria dock, one of the hotels near there. I suspect I'll not have enough time to slope off for a pint or a ride; we're only there for a couple of days.
    What bike shops in the centre then? Preferably not Evans; we've got one and it's a bit predictable..

Oh, and would you use Canning town subway or the DLR?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

we always use the DLR from customs house when we are at Excel, the pub there (opposite the station, not the one on the Excel site) goes through phases of being excellent and crap. worth a try to get you away from the monstrously expensive bars in the hotels. There's also a chinese underneath the pub which is very good but expensive. There's also a second Fox pub at the other end of Excel near the cheaper hotels that is a bit more interesting, gets a few locals and has beer garden etc. bit scrotty though.

I've not been since the olympic building work got under way properly so it may have all changed.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Canning town subway

Subway?

It's the Tube. A subway is a sandwich shop or an underpass beneath a road… 😉

Jubilee Line Tube gets you into central London via CW, London Bridge and Waterloo. Pretty quick. The DLR takes you to Bank or Tower Gateway, where you can change for the Central and Northern Lines (Bank) or the District and Circle Lines (both). You could scoot up to Stratford on the Jubilee Line too, and change for the Central Line. Might be quicker actually.

I'd be off seeing some sights, rather than bike shops tbh. But I suppose Condor on Grays Inn Rd (Chancery Lane Tube) is good for roadie stuff, or Cycle Surgery (Strype St branch) in Spitalifields (Liverpool St) for mtb stuff. Brick Lane Bikes is a 10 minute walk from there, for all sorts of retro fixie weirdness. But they're bike shops. Not that fascinating imo.

You'll only be just down the road from me, so if you change yer mind about a pint…

Enjoy.

Woody
    Free Member

Thanks for clearing that up Drac (no pun intended 😆 ). I would have looked for the same thing but couldn't be arsed last night.

Talkemada
    Free Member

bit scrotty though.

😆

There's a reason I don't drink in Canning Town…

Fair enough if you just fancy a quick drink without going too far, but tbh, a short journey to CW might be a better bet, as it's a little more 'genteel' round there!

crikey
    Free Member

Lol, I'm not coming just to go to bike shops, but I do prefer them to shoe shops…
    Mrs crikey has sorted out the trip, we're off to see 'Oliver' because I drunkenly said I like musicals, plus maybe Kew gardens on the Sunday.

No realistic chance of meeting; "you're going to meet someone you don't know after I've arranged a weekend away for the two of us?".

Ok, cheers for the info!

Talkemada
    Free Member

we found a secret pub in stratford, it's so rough round there that the landlord had no signs outside it and just kept watch for likely customers and invited them in

😯 Erm, somehow, I don't think that's a 'public house'…

Stratford has the pub where Iron Maiden first performed (Cart and Horses on Leytonstone Road). It is getting a little more gentrified now though, as house prices rocket (**** Lympics). There are one or two quite nice 'Traditional East End Cockney Knees-Up' type pubs left, although sadly these are disappearing or are frequented by scrotes and wannabe villains.

Talke – are you in the Docklands?

We were on the 6th floor of Anchorage Point for just over a year (next to Cascade building).

Know it well. Not far from me. I'm a little further north in the 'scrotty' area of Poplar. Nice…

"you're going to meet someone you don't know after I've arranged a weekend away for the two of us?".

😆

And what's wrong with that???

Always up for showing STWers around. Give us a shout next time you're down maybe.

crikey
    Free Member

I'll probably be down on the 15th of July just for the day for another boring training day/conference, and would be free from 4.30 until I get my train back. I'll be in the Marylebone road/Euston-ish area and might (depending on the people I'm with) be able to get away for a pint or two…

…there is a very slender chance that I might get to come down the day before and be free on the evening of the 14th, but that's a very unlikely scenario…

yunki
    Free Member

You just don't like the fact that we're right.

How about, next time we're in the countryside, we 'accidentally' drop loads of litter? Eh? Of course we wouldn't, so why should the farmer not be held responsible and accountable for their actions?

you're right.. I really don't like the fact that you're right.. how very astute of you to notice.. you must be a real hero round your ends..

the fact that you will scream section 14 paragraph 4 and then attempt to sue someone for infringement makes you a proper little herbert in my book..

and I'm not talking about dropping pooh in the city centre so that part of your argument is nonsense..

I'm getting bored of this now too..

Talkemada
    Free Member

you're right.. I really don't like the fact that you're right

Sometimes, that's how life goes, unfortunately. 🙁

Never mind.

yunki
    Free Member

🙁

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

As a youngish lad starting out in the motor trade (21) i was given the job of ferrying a largish van to keswick to have some small paintowrk jobs carried out.

Whilst climbing a twisty piece of road past bassenthwaite lake i had the missfortune to come across a bend which was caked in cow muck. I say caked, more like a sheen of cow muck. I was doing no more than 40mph on an A road so wasnt speeding (The van wasnt capable of it) and was alert.

My first observation was not of losing control. There wasnt any noise or scrabbling for grip. The back end just slid out and it was all in slow motion. I steered into the skid to try to correct it but i bounced off the farmers wall then got flung backwards into the opposite wall. Whilst this was happening i realised i had no seatbelt on which wasnt a good idea.

I got out of the van, the farmer was running over at this time. I nearly slid on my arse because the road was slippy. Gave famer my details, pointed out the road and set off to the bodyshop. I took great delight in my opening line at the bodyshop

"You know that small job we had you doing, well its a little bigger now"

Next day i phoned the police just to make sure i didnt get into trouble and they informed me that their had been a possible fatal accident a few hours later on the same sie 🙁

I ended up with solicitors letters asking for statements etc. Didnt get called for any court hearings thankfully.

It did teach me a lesson. I was lucky and got away with a bit of whiplash and a new pair of undies.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You really have absolutely no idea, have you?

Well I've driven a tractor and trailer in the course of my employment in the past……..does that help ?

Although I will admit that it was a long time ago when I was just a 19/20 year old kid……….have they changed very much ?

zaskar
    Free Member

I'd sue his ass like the guy who wrote my car off, whiplash and hospital stay for driving like an idiot.

Maybe I should say forgive and forget etc…

£2000 personal injury paid by his insurance! Took me 3 months of physio.

If they don't give a monkies about the public and how dangerous it is they soon will and besides the farmer is insured.

james
    Free Member

"clear the mud from a very small area by the field entrance, if necessary lay some hardcore down. Then place a trough near the entrance – how you fill it with water is up to you – hose, rainwater, water in containers transported over, whatever. Next drive the tractor to the mud free area, dip a stiff broom in the water"

The longest trailers towable behind tractors are about 44ft plus drawbar(an artic lorry trailer), stick a tractor on the front and you're looking at about 20metres in length. Once you've handbrushed the 4-16 wheels of tractor plus implement/trailer of 0-12 wheels (which will take how long?) the mud is going to build up after a few repeats of that. So hardcore is out of the question. It pretty much has to be concrete or tarmac (which will need to cleaned each time too)?
    Now to let other tractors into the field while you laboriously spend your day cleaning, you could well be needing space for another 20m tractor/trailer length to get in the field, put that 3x20m pad upto 3x40m, there'll probably be some king of queue building up so at least a 3x60m concrete pad in each and every field.
    With grass, okay so you wouldn't have an artic trailer, but around 12-15m tractor/trailer (8 wheels) with a round trip of around 10mins (maybe 3 tractors/trailers on). You'd be needing maybe 3 times as many tractors/trailers/men to keep up with the 'harvester' in order to clean them each trip

"you could always invest in tractor mounted brushes"
    They'd block up, and would never be stiff enough to 'sweep' the mud off, especially clay like mud. Plus the vast majority builds up in between the tread anyway so wouldn't make much difference

Okay, so not typical (nor my picture), but how do you get this much mud off with a brush? And how long would it take?

"Dirtworker FTW…. "
    I don't think so ..

I'm not saying its not farmers responsibility to clean up their mess, but trying to have no muck on the road whatsoever is completely unworkable as far as I can work out. Signage is one short term compromise (not a brilliant one), but is at least 'workable'

Building sites typically have more traffic and all day every day, rather than a 'freak' intensive harvest period a field may get for an hour or two (as outlined above), not that it makes any difference in law

Horses get to crap on the road and the riders don't have to pick it up (yet dog walkers are supposed to)?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Okay, so not typical (nor my picture), but how do you get this much mud off with a brush? And how long would it take?

Quite a lot. How long it takes is completely irrelevant – it reminds of an argument I once had with a guy who claimed you could only wait so long before overtaking a cyclist.

But I will tell you that cleaning mud off the exposed wheels of a tractor is going to be a whole quicker and easier than cleaning the mud off a dirty great big muckaway lorry, with it's inaccessible wheels and double axles in between which everything, and the kitchen sink, get stuck/jammed.

Somehow construction sites don't get away with the "long would it take?" argument.

"but trying to have no muck on the road whatsoever"

I don't think anyone has suggested that.

Talkemada
    Free Member

You really have absolutely no idea, have you?

I saw a cah once. Ollie tried to touch it, but it runded away.

Daisy says: 'Moo, quite frankly'.

aracer
    Free Member

Horses get to crap on the road and the riders don't have to pick it up

Only in the same sense that farmers don't have to clean up after themselves "because it's the countryside". Horseriders seem not to want to carry poop scoops with them though (I suppose at least it means you don't get horse poo in bags hanging off trees).

Olly
    Free Member

. Ollie tried to touch it, but it runded away.

you have NO proof of that officer

oh, someone else, well never mind, errr, ahem.

Viewing 31 posts - 121 through 151 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘Off AND injury caused by road covered in SH_T by lazy farmer?’ is closed to new replies.