• This topic has 150 replies, 59 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 151 total)
  • Off AND injury caused by road covered in SH_T by lazy farmer?
  • Olly
    Free Member

stop on what you can see kids!
    I came booting around a corner on single track road off the long mynd, well out of the range of my bald tyres and crap v brakes, when i was about 15. Met a tractor coming up and had 2 options. hit the wall on the left at about 30, or take the drop on the right, which was about 20 feet. i decided to skid, fall off and roll under the tractor.
    Farmer, dog and wife looked back to see if had come out from under the tractor, saw i was ok, if shocked, and then burst out laughing, as did my riding buddy.
    the farmer needs to move his cows/sileage, and they are going to make a mess on the road. the price of a road sweeper is pretty high, especially when your doing it on a daily basis, and having as hard a time as most british farmers.

live and learn i say.

falkirk-mark

And what about your inexperienced young driver that slides on it and gets killed with a head on collision is that acceptable?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Yep they should have been going slower 🙂

Sandwich

It's not the countryside it's the public highway. Make a mess on it clear it up or be liable. Diesel on the road is an offence, both the police and enviroment agency would be interested in it.

IanMunro
    Free Member

And what about your inexperienced young driver that slides on it and gets killed with a head on collision is that acceptable?

Yes.
    It's would be very unfortunate, but life is full of risk.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Interesting to see people defending irresponsibly and negligent behaviour by farmers…

Imagine a similar scenario in town: Loads of gravel and mess left on the road by builders/roadworkers whatever. Causes an accident. How would people feel then?

As mentioned; it's a Public Highway, not the farmer's personal road. Wether they 'have it tough' or not is irrelevant bollocks, wtf has that got to do with being responsible and also acting within the Law? There's no reason why a careful farmer acting according to the Law would leave loads of mess all over a road. Just sounds like laziness.

As for compensation: if someone has left a mess on a public road, which then contributes towards an accident, then they should be held accountable. Would the OP have had an accident if the road was clear of any mess? Nowt to do with 'blame culture'- farmers shouldn't be exempt from the same rules that apply to everyone else. What if the OP had (God Forbid) sustained permanent injuries as a result of negligence by the farmer?

Sue the bastard…

IanMunro
    Free Member

That's cos you're one of them uppity town folks who don't understand country ways 🙂

Crag
    Free Member

Christ, a kids fallen off his bike.
    MTFU and move on.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

accident
    • noun 1 an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally. 2 an incident that happens by chance or without apparent cause. 3 chance.

It's an accident. These things happen.

Olly
    Free Member

everything to do with blame culture.
    "where there is blame there is a claim"

we are not denying it is the farmers fault, but laws do not over rule physics.
    whether the mess was legal or not, it was still there, and the OPs lad should have been riding within the limits of the conditions, which he evidently wasnt.
    dont get me wrong, i hope hes ok, i wouldnt wish an accident on anyone but sh!t happens

if you go Booting around a blind corner into the front of a car on the wrong side of the road, whether the car was supposed to be there or not your still dead!

winds me up when people act as if "the law" overrules physics!

suck it up, chalk it up as a near miss and learn from it.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Snow is just as slippy as mud. If you're going to blame the farmer for coming off on mud who're going to blame when you come off on snow?
    As many others have said: it's a lesson learnt – no blame.

Talkemada
    Free Member

The mud didn't get there by 'natural causes', did it? It got there because of the farmer's negligence.

And if it's slurry, then there's also laws relating to the correct disposal of biological waste to be considered.

Farmers shouldn't go round acting like they own the entire countryside, and expecting everyone else to accommodate them. They are legally obliged to act within the Law, like the rest of us.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I'd just like to as I am a Farmer, I'm not defending this guy in any way, But how do you expect a tractor get from muddy field to muddy field, By the roads.

We take precations as everyone of our vehicles has two "mud on road" signs. So should he. but to say its an outrage that there is mud on the road in the countryside is a bit OTT.

Growing up and living in the countryside you deal with this day in day out.

Olly
    Free Member

legally, the farmer is to blame. correct.

do you work in health and safety Talkemada?
    or are you one of those people who "walks at you from funny angles" on TV

i prescribe a dose of MTFU, or end up in an accident that "shouldn't have happened"

david_r
    Free Member

Out here in the boonies one of the local farmers was taken to the cleaners for leaving shit all over the roads. Was on a bend and three cars slid off the road into the ditch.

However, from a cycling perspective, he should MTFU. If you're local then crap on the roads should not be a surpise.

Talkemada
    Free Member

do you work in health and safety Talkemada?

Oh here we go… 🙄

If it had been your skinny little arse getting road rash, you'd have gone crying home to your mummy and demanded the farmer be lynched, I bet…

Road users should be aware of potential hazards at all times (including a bit of mud on country roads). However, causing a hazard on a public road through negligence is an offence punishable by death.

Well, it bloody well should be…

druidh
    Free Member

It's reasonable to expect a farmer to clean up once he's finished his days work – but he can't be stopping to do as after every journey.

As said above, we should all be riding within our limits – both visual and technical.

Mind you wasn't there an anti-disc brake thread on here a week or so back with folk arguing that road bike brakes were only used for slowing down gradually – never to make emergency stops?

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Warning signs indeed! Could he not smell it?

tron
    Free Member

Farmers are supposed to clean up the road, and they know it. No reason not to go for compo in my book.

IanMunro
    Free Member

You're assuming that the farmer hasn't.
    Finding crap on the road doesn't mean that you can sue anyone. Just as finding a pothole doesn't mean that you have a claim. You have to demonstrate negligence.

hora
    Free Member

+1 Good post IanMunro

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I've just imagined me telling my Dad I'd fallen off on cow shit … LOL … then tried to imagine my Dad running in tears to the nearest internet forum to find out about compensation … ROTFLMAO …

On a serious note, what if the tractor driver had stopped, perhaps to put up a little sign warning villagers he was about to do a big grassy fart, and your son cycled into the back of the tractor, smashing his nose up?

What then?

oldgit
    Free Member

When that happened to me the first time a few others in the group crashed as well, I had cuts and it bust my then new fangled Avocet computer. We all got up without a word and carried on.
    I've always seen it as an acceptable hazard, even if the farmer cleared it up it's still going to leave a slippery surface unless it was jetwashed. I prefer to see the muck than get surprised by stealth stuff.

Olly
    Free Member

HA
    Talkemeda.

If it had been your skinny little arse getting road rash, you'd have gone crying home to your mummy and demanded the farmer be lynched, I bet…

i refer you to

and eating through a straw for 2 weeks,
    combined with a police report of the incident that quotes me as saying "shit happens" and no action being taken against the driver.

project
    Free Member

http://WWW.BIKELINE.CO.UK

Let them decide if you have a claim, the farmer has a duty of care,to everybody.

Hope your son is ok.

Olly
    Free Member

gods im hot! 😉
    :p

hora
    Free Member

Olly, you went under (inbetween) the wheels of the tractor?

You are blessed with luck.

Olly
    Free Member

i did, and i was 😀 (i feel it has run out, i used up ALL 9 of my lives long ago, and now, when in messy situations, tend to come off…. well… messy)

Drac

How anyone has hurt themselves from the shits that sprays from Talkmeda's gob is beyond me.

rossi46
    Free Member

Id like farmers to be made to put up warning signs- i ride a motorcycle, and road tyres dont stick to shit all that well.
    Ive been riding mountain bikes long enough to know that you have to expect the unexpected on country roads, so its not always a problem for me. Not all road users have mountain bike experience though, so they'll boot it as soon as they pass their test! And they wont neccesarily know what happens when shit hits the …er….tyres.

Talkemada
    Free Member

How anyone has hurt themselves from the shits that sprays from Talkmeda's gob is beyond me.

😕

Erm, can anyone translate that from Idiot into English please?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Id like farmers to be made to put up warning signs- i ride a motorcycle, and road tyres dont stick to shit all that well.
    Ive been riding mountain bikes long enough to know that you have to expect the unexpected on country roads, so its not always a problem for me. Not all road users have mountain bike experience though, so they'll boot it as soon as they pass their test! And they wont neccesarily know what happens when shit hits the …er….tyres.

Farmers are "made" to put up warning signs, just like all motorcyclists are "made" to stick to speed limits, doesn't mean everyone sticks to it.

You can't tar everyone with the same brush. (see stoping at red thread)

yunki
    Free Member

oi reckons there be zum daft city gobshites spouting nonsensical claptrap bout thingz they knows nuthin about..

you would not be getting this very un-neighbourly and unreasonable attitude about a bit of cow poo on a country lane from proper zyder drinkin country folk..

stop bein so daft innums bey.

druidh
    Free Member

What if it was a driver and not a cyclist that hit this poo – and that in losing control, the car ploughed into a group of cyclists, killing a couple of them. Would the driver be at all responsible?

What if it was ice instead of poo?

Woody
    Free Member

Came off my motorbike when I was a lad due to a farmer losing some of a load of barley on a 90deg bend. The police came along and were not happy with the farmer who agreed fairly sharpish to cover the cost of my bike repair (I wasn't hurt). No difference between leaving mud on the road and any other farm 'product'. It is a hazard !

I agree with the comments above re 'riding within your limits etc' but it is not always easy to see crap on the road surface, espacially when wet. There should have been a warning sign. It's the law, plain and simple.

crikey
    Free Member

Fell off because the road was slippy, who can I sue?

If you want to live in a country where this is acceptable, go on, fill yer boots…

…or get a grip.

falkirk-mark

crikey – Member

Fell off because the road was slippy, who can I sue?

If you want to live in a country where this is acceptable, go on, fill yer boots…

…or get a grip.
    Yes and if you slip on diesel outside a bus garage (in the big smoke) then MTFU. If you fall off your bike and lose a month or two's wage what are you moaning about MTFU again and do not have so much debt.

crikey
    Free Member

Sue me…

robdob
    Free Member

sue him and he won't be leaving a mess again.

No, he won't, as he's more likely than not one of the many farmers who are a few thousand away from committing suicide, just so you can get cheap meat and milk in the supermarket.

Yes, they are responsible for excessive mud on the road, and will clear it up. However you can easily slip on one piece of mud on a bike, and the OP hasn't got a clue yet how much there was actually there.

LOL! Thats a STW classic for me…..

Talkemada
    Free Member

as he's more likely than not one of the many farmers who are a few thousand away from committing suicide, just so you can get cheap meat and milk in the supermarket.

Oh please. My heart bleeds… 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘Off AND injury caused by road covered in SH_T by lazy farmer?’ is closed to new replies.