Of all the sports tracking apps available…

Home Forum Chat Forum Of all the sports tracking apps available…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Of all the sports tracking apps available…
  • druidh

Endomondo does this. I’m sure others will too.

Jolsa

druidh, at the risk of sounding like a right thicko, how do you do it with Endomondo? I have the PRO version installed, have had a look but can’t find out how to do it…

druidh

You need to have Mobile Network active so that you have a 3G/GPRS/whatever signal. Then Endomondo will “Live Track” you by default. You just need to post a link to your Endomondo web profile so folk see where you are. You might need to play around with your privacy settings if you want to restrict access.

Jolsa

Had no idea Endomondo made your workouts live trackable by default. Thanks, will test it out now…

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Let me know how you get on? I’ve wondered this myself.

Premier Icon Rio
    Subscriber

Runkeeper does this if you subscribe to Runkeeper Live; I’ve stopped using it because their GPS tracking on iOS became desperately unreliable which limits its usefulness but others don’t seem to have the same problem. I believe you can let people follow your progress on Facebook as well as their web site. As above, Endomondo does it and Mrs R regularly uses it to see where I am when I’m out running/biking but we do it by her knowing my login ID; not something I would recommend for a wider audience.

My wife calls the live tracking and pep talks on endomondo “nag mode”

DickBarton

Funny, I call that wife mode!

Jolsa

do any have a feature whereby others can watch your workout (run) progress live on a map?

I’m sure Nokia Sports Tracker used to offer this feature years ago but of all of the apps out there now, none seem to do this?

Jolsa

Ok, from looking at the Endomondo homepage (when you’re not logged in) there’s all kinds of live workouts scrolling in the Activity feed. So as druidh said, you’d just need to send someone your profile link when you head out running/biking whatever.

I’ve just been stalking a few people on their workouts and whilst the map does update it seems rather slow to. Assume this is standard and not altered by user settings.

The next thing to find out is whether you can track two people on the same map, Top Gear challenge stylee.

I’m racing a mate in Bristol’s Biggest Bike Ride tomorrow – he’s cycling the Clevedon challenge (38 miles starting at 9am) and I’m running the Family Fiesta (9 miles starting at 10.30am).

As long as he stops for tea and cake in Clevedon it might be quite close 🙂

druidh

Jolsa – Member
    I’ve just been stalking a few people on their workouts and whilst the map does update it seems rather slow to. Assume this is standard and not altered by user settings.

I’ve never seen any setting to change that. Remember also that it will be affected by your data signal, so anywhere out of range and there will be a large gap in update times.

The next thing to find out is whether you can track two people on the same map, Top Gear challenge stylee.

No. But you could have two profiles/map windows open

Jolsa

No. But you could have two profiles/map windows open

Seems like it might be possible using their “Events” function?
    http://files.endomondo.com/help/event-guide.pdf

druidh

Every day is a school day!

Jolsa

Downside is that you can’t import a gpx file for the route of the event, you have to draw it!

druidh

Not is you/someone has already saved an Endomondo workout as a route though? So. You could upload a GPX file, create a Route. And then find it when you are setting up your event.

Jolsa

Got the gpx map route from here:
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/36854948/

However Endomondo doesn’t seem to recognise this when I attempt to import it as a workout (probably due to lack of time info?). Hence no luck in creating Endomondo route from Endomondo workout 🙁

druidh

a) Create a new workout in Endomondo. Workout – Import Workout – Import from File, Use the GPX file you’ll have downloaded from your link.
    b) When created, use the “To Route” option on the right to create a named Route
    c) When you create the event, select “Search for a Route”.
    d) Then you want the “My Routes” bit over on the right again.

Jolsa

Sorry, didn’t make myself clear – I’ve tried to do that with the gpx file from my link, however the gpx file doesn’t include time stamp data so Endomondo won’t have it when you try to import it at the Workout>Import workout stage.

druidh

Sorted it for you

There is now a route called BBBR. Feel free to use that route to set up your own event and issue the invite.

Jolsa

druidh you are a legend thank you, but it’s only fair that I own up and say that I’ve managed to get it done… I, er, forgot that I’d actually tracked the Clevedon Challenge last year using Sports Tracker 😳

Exported gpx from Sports Tracker and imported, to route fine.

druidh

* walks off shaking head and muttering….. *

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Of all the sports tracking apps available…’ is closed to new replies.