Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • OEM Sram/Avid guide pads, still the go to pad?
  • asbrooks

As above, I’ve used up all my spare pads and need replace my stock. THe OEM pads are quite expensive these days is there a cheaper option with the same amount of braking power.

I’ve found a few threads on stw which are 3 to 4 years old now. Has something else come to market any better?

Thanks

lawman91

I’ve used SwissStop pads in my G2’s and older Guides and really rate them. They last pretty well and if you go for the green ones, I actually find power to be a fair amount better than stock. Not crazy expensive either – https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/swissstop-disc-31-organic-brake-pads-eukp100003239/

frogstomp

THe OEM pads are quite expensive these days

If you can buy enough pairs to justify the postage R2-Bike have some well-priced OEM pads.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

OEM are great. If I can’t get OEM, i’d only consider Galfer, Trickstuff or Swisstop.

Everything else i’ve tried has been varying degrees of shyte.

susepic

Tried some EBC reds – very disappointing – went back to OEM

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m not just bashing Sram brakes – but this is part of the reason I’ve gone fully Shimano now.

Their brakes are fine with cheap pads IME, so the running costs work out lower.

jeffl

Are people going organic or sintered OEM. Got some of the cheap Guide T’s from CRC (https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram-guide-t-disc-brake/rp-prod208560) a while back and thinking that I need to get some spares, what with it being winter and the Peak District.

andydt82

It’s funny, I didn’t get on with the (organic) OEM pads in my G2’s. Gorilla semi-metallic are far better IMO.

asbrooks

My guides came with the OEM sintered pads, which are really good. They offer great stopping power with good modulation. Only grip is that they are noisy in the wet. But I’d rather stop when I want too.

Painey
    Free Member

I’ve recently gone back to disco brakes and their copper free pads are very good.

asbrooks

If you can buy enough pairs to justify the postage R2-Bike have some well-priced OEM pads.

That’s a good price, shipping is around 9 euros. If I can’t find them locally I’ll probably order 6 sets.

oikeith

After my OEM pads went in my code RSCs I picked up some of the uber e-race matrix pads, have not gone back to OEM.

asbrooks

I guess the ‘E’ is for ebikes? I have no doubt that they’ll be good stoppers but how are they for are they for longevity? Any heavy wear on the rotors?

jeffl

From UberBike: “Our E-Matrix disc brake pads are based around our Race Matrix pad compound but modified for greater endurance, adding a unique blend of kevlar, ceramics, heat resistant resins and friction materials to be able to withstand the increased weigh and speeds of electric bikes and demanding riding styles such as downhill. For use with 4 piston SRAM Guide R-RS-RSC-T-Ultimate-G2-G2 Ultimate disc brake systems.”

oikeith

I guess the ‘E’ is for ebikes? I have no doubt that they’ll be good stoppers but how are they for are they for longevity? Any heavy wear on the rotors?

Yeah the e is for ebike but as posted above can be used for non e bikes, I’ve ridden them for a few years now, I would say the wear is what I would expect from them, I’ve never been surprised when they’ve eventually gotten low.

I pair them with some Magura MDP-R 220mm rotors front and rear and the rotors have lots of life left in them too.

asbrooks

Hmm, I never really go on with their race matrix pads. I think it was more of a bedding in issue, probably need to pay more attention to it next time.

But I guess for less than £13 they are worth a try.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘OEM Sram/Avid guide pads, still the go to pad?’ is closed to new replies.