Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • OE SRAM Guide RE/Code pads?
  • z1ppy

Yeah I know dead boring, but anyone bought know where I can get some OEM Organic SRAM Guide RE /Code brake pads in the UK mail order? These are not the same as Guide/trails pads, as have discovered.. The only place I can see them, is the Lordgun site, but they also charge £8 delivery!

OE, as I wasn’t impressed with the last 2 sets of clones.

joemmo
    Free Member

Not sure but I’ve swapped my oem RE pads for uberbike matrix pads and they’ve been spot on. Was going to try these for the winter

Fibrax Semi Metallic Disc Brake Pads – for SRAM Guide RE / Code 2012+

z1ppy

Appreciate the recommendation but if I can get OEM, I’ll move back to those.
    The clone pads I’ve tried were those from Bird and didn’t think they were bad but didn’t feel they were as powerful, over this last winter (semi metallic vs OEM organic)

joemmo
    Free Member

Ok, thanks for the info on the fibrax pads. My REs came with metallic pads and I found them a bit lacking in bite in the dry but better with some.filth on them so have swapped to semi metallic

Tracey

Been using the Uberbike Race Matrix in our REs for over a year and they have been first class. When they are ready for changing going to give the E Matrix a try just to see if they can be bettered

https://www.uberbikecomponents.com/view-product/Uberbike-E-Matrix-New-Avid-Code-Code-R-E-Bike-Endurance-Disc-Brake-Pads

rherbert
    Free Member

Bought sb130 lunch ride recently and the code pads were so noisy and not as powerful as I expected. Always used uberbikes race matrix before so ordered some and fitted yesterday.

As ever they are excellent, silent powerful and good value.

Get these simple as…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I thought the Codes only have sintered OE pads?

I also wont run cheap aftermarket pads. They have been unanimously crap in my experience.

z1ppy

These are Guides RE, not codes, so maybe not the same? The pad have Code-O marked on the rear (IIRC but will check again), so I’m assuming they were organic originally.

joemmo
    Free Member

my OE pads have a copper coloured backing plate, I assumed they were metallic.

@Tracey
    – I’ve been using the race matrix on the rear and some e-matrix arrived this morning to go up front so I’ll see how they perform.
    Also tried some nukeproof semi-metal and was unimpressed.

joebristol

I think the standard guides have one shape of pad, the new codes another – but the guide re has previous generation code pads. The caliper definitely looks different for old Code va new code but not sure if they changed the pads too. Best to check before ordering code pads.

rherbert
    Free Member

The standard code pads are sintered this means three things to me; noisy as hell with any moisture (quite embarrassing!) , don’t get good until they heat up and last a fair while compared to organics.

General trail riding organic, long steep downhill sintered.

Uber bikes code race matrix fit perfectly in the new code calipers. Had to depress the pistons as they had a bit more meat on em and re center the rear caliper but otherwise straight forward to fit.

Here’s the link says they fir the guide re too:

https://www.uberbikecomponents.com/view-product/Uberbike-SRAM-Code-R-Code-RSC-Guide-RE-Race-Matrix-Disc-Brake-Pads

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The Guide RE caliper is the previous generation Code caliper, not the same as the current one. Although FWIW the new code caliper works in the same way and will mate to the current Guide lever (and the next generation G2 levers).

I have one setup with the Guide RE caliper on Guide Ultimate levers & the other is new style Code calipers on G2 Ultimate levers & both are great. Really solid lever feel, but still good modulation. Until I put anything other than SRAM pads in. Then they go spongy, and feel sticky once the pads warm up. Maybe if I wasnt racing and just trail riding, it wouldnt be so much of an issue, but with any sustained braking, the only two pads I’ve found that work like OE are Trickstuff and Swiss Stop.

I’m 99% sure all Code & RE calipers come with splintered pads (both mine have).

chakaping
    Free Member

So are new and old Code pads the same shape?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yep 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers. That’s a relief, as I’ve bought eight pairs of old stock to fit my new Code Rs.

oikeith

@joemmo

some e-matrix arrived this morning to go up front so I’ll see how they perform.

keen to hear how you get on, just picked up some code RSC’s and was going to order Race Matrix pads for them but saw the E version and am now cant decide!

joemmo
    Free Member

Sure. I fitted them last night but will have to wait until Friday for a proper test. The race matrix pads seem good enough so I wouldn’t worry about it.

nuke

Went with Superstar pads myself as i always got on with their kevlar pads and code pads are one of the few they still stock… using current 25% discount code, managed 8 sets of kevlar pads & a set of sintered pads for just under £43; was happy with that!

joemmo
    Free Member

@oikeith rode with the e-matrix pads on the front tonight.. obviously I can’t comment on longevity but by ‘eck it’s a grippy one. Like one finger sitting down endo grippy.

jayx2a
    Free Member

I had Uberbike Race Matrix in my Guides and they were spot on. My Guide RS came with pads and at the moment they are doing a decent job, but when they need replacing I will porbably go Matrix again.

oikeith

@joemmo good to hear, will order 4 pairs after I search facebook/google for a discount code.

Must say, if the stock code pads are sintered, they’re the best sintered pads I’ve ridden, they actually have bite from cold, where as others I have used have nothing till youre half way down a trail!

joemmo
    Free Member

UBER10 10% off 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

ANY bike shop with a ZyroFisher or a Raleigh account… It’s not hard!

z1ppy

In the end I did just that, but getting time to visit a shop is alway my struggle.

toblerone1

I want for the Nukeproof Sintered pads in my RE/code callipers and they have been spot on. Not too much noise and plenty of bite.

Also have some Uber bike components Race Matrix pads I’m waiting to try out.

oikeith

Update: Back from Morzine where the stock sintered pads which came new in my Codes lasted and performed really well, but they needed replacing from wear so have now replaced them with the E-Race Matrix pads.

Have a few rides on them and they feel really good, Id say the initial bite is sharper than the OEM pads but this could be linked to getting new rotars and doing a brake bleed and balance also…

james
    Free Member

Reading this thread as a reference at 5 months old. There’s potential for confusion in here:

“I think the standard guides have one shape of pad, the new codes another – but the guide re has previous generation code pads. The caliper definitely looks different for old Code va new code but not sure if they changed the pads too”
    “So are new and old Code pads the same shape?”

You’re both referring to MY2011-2017 Codes vs MY2018+. They both use the same shape pad

There is another older/original code MY2007-2010 which uses a different shape entirely
    It is this pad that is (commonly) referred elsewhere as an old shape code pad

In pre MY2018 speak, the MY2011-2017 code would be referred as a ‘new’ code pad. In a sense it still is as the same pad fits the latest MY2018+ code caliper

In short, while there are 3 generations of code caliper, there are only two shapes of pad
    Correct me if my understanding isn’t correct

z1ppy

Wow James post has melted my brain & is probably very useful… all I know is that my 2019 bike’s guide RE and my m8’s 2019 code are the same pads.

As this is my thread I’ll update it… I found the organic pads to be pretty poor compared to the original sintered… DOH!
    Ended up testing and then buying CL Brake Pads, none of your cheap ass crap but I like them a lot, even better than the original sintered srams

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

really simple – NEW CODES (r,rsc) use 2011+ code brake pads, which are also the same as GUIDE RE. (as they share the same caliper)

fwiw – im trying everything quieten down my code rsc – sintered sram pads are the noisiest pads ever used when even a hint of moisture in the air (just damp)

tried a set of genuine organic replacement pads and much better bite and way way way quieter, still make a noise in the wet, but its only for a few secs max then it clears, and they feel loads better

just one the hunt for another set cheap, though ive also got some nukeproof semi-metallic to try too hopefully a bit longer than organic out back but not as loud as sram sintered

I liked the uber racematrix in summer, but they are just as loud in the wet as the sintered sram ones, and they have no bite in the super wet ive found

oikeith

As posted 3 months ago, I’ve been running the E-Race Matrix, they’ve been really good, I’d say slightly more grab/bite than the OEM pads and have lasted fine. Only thing I dont like is the blue backing plate, doesnt run with my colour scheme…

Gotama
    Free Member

I liked the uber racematrix in summer, but they are just as loud in the wet as the sintered sram ones, and they have no bite in the super wet ive found

Bugger. A set of these just arrived today. Will have to hunt down some sram organic as i can’t be doing with noisy brakes, it’s too embarrassing as everyone knows when i panic brake drag 🙂

Tracey

Running race matrix in all our bikes all year round in all conditions, Saint, XT and REs. Never had a problem with them being noisy

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

are yours on codes tracey with centreline discs?

the race matrix are noisy as hell in the wet for me with above, they warm up quicker than the sintered so not quite as bad, but organic win every time in terms on noise reduction, trade off is they obviously wont last as long

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I also tried uber sintered and they were absolultly shocking – noisier than sram ones and wore down incredibly quick

oikeith

I run Shimano ice tech rotars with my codes and dont have any real issues I can remember with noise.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I need some new rotors too, hence my other thread, I may have a look at the ice-tec rotors if they seem a bit quieter than the centreline line ones, assume they line up all good?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Also run Shimano rotors on my G2 ultimate/code setup, mostly as they are less prone to bending in my experience.

Never really rated Sram rotors, so mix the best parts of both brands 🙂

Still running OE sintered pads, they last forever, and are super powerful. I’ll never run cheap shyte like Uberbike again. The only other pads I’ll consider is swisstop.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

interesting – my rotors must be nigh on 4 years old, so guessing time for a change, will have a look at some of the xt ice tec ones then, actually cheaper than the sram ones

hopefully will cure the worst of the horrific honk!

Tracey

Ebikes are on the REs and running the SRAM rotors they came with, all the others are now on Uber Radiator discs which have replaced the Shimano Icetec ones as and when they have needed replacing.

oikeith

Yeah no issues with the shimanos lining up, fit and forget for the rotars really.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘OE SRAM Guide RE/Code pads?’ is closed to new replies.