Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Odd dropper question
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Morning all,

Got an odd requirement

31.6 dropper post that is at least 400 long

And…

That you can clamp really tight without loss of performance. Really tight!

I’ve got a re-welded to frame that had cracked near the seat post. I’ve added a double clamp and need to really bolt this up tight to retain support.

Any suggestions?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Any suggestions?

New frame

chilled76
    Free Member

Applauds slowly*

*singletrack sarcastic standard response response

tmb467
    Free Member

No more sarcastic than the question demanded really – how can you have a freely sliding dropper where you’re relying on the tube its dropping through to provide structural support for the frame

Defeats the object really – no dropper is made to take those tolerances and if you’re relying on the seatpost to support frame integrity then you really need a new frame (or for a better repair on the existing one)

Just cos it’s not what you want hear doesn’t make it wrong

Rubber_Buccaneer

Seriously. Droppers mostly aren’t cheap, I’d spend the money on a sound frame rather than a dropper that can be clamped mega tight.

Rubber_Buccaneer

or get a proper repair on the frame (as said above)

chilled76
    Free Member

Really can’t be bothered to explain the semantics of why a further repair isn’t possible and the double clamp solves the issue.

It’s a spares bike I’ve built around a Cotic Soada not one of my other 5 “decent” bikes… so new frame isn’t needed, It rides great with a normal seatpost. It’s only really for taking my daughter out in the back.

I would like to fit a dropper to it but the only way it will work is if I can clamp it tightly.

If there are any clunky older manual ones anyone can think of that fit the bill then please let me know.

letmetalktomark

When you mean double clamp do you mean one that clamps the seat tube and the post or just the seat tube albeit twice?

My Reverbs are really sensitive to pressure from the clamp. Carbon paste is your friend.

chilled76
    Free Member

Seat tube twice. A bmx clamp.

Yeh I know a reverb or ks won’t work.

Carbon paste won’t help it’s not a slipping issue it’s a creaking issue from a second crack that can’t be welded. With the double clamp the crack is supported and the lower clamp part is below the crack completely. Can’t be welded or then you can’t get the clamp over the weld.

Rides spot on with the double clamp and a rigid Seat post. I’ll just ride it with the fixed post if I have to but thought I’d see if anyone knows if any of the older manual ones are a bit more industrial… I’ve got no experience of them hence asking if anyone knows of one that can take a bit more umph on the frame clamp?

stevenk4563
    Free Member

Gravity Dropper may be a little less sensitive to clamping force, or a cheap RSP thing.

qwerty
    Free Member

You laugh, i give it a year or so & they’ll be back.

mjsmke

If you over clamp a dropper you might end up causing permanent damage resulting in having to buy a new dropper.

ads678

Get a cheap one off ebay like a Tmars and try it. Tmars is just a spring in a tube with some holes in it and a pin that pulls in and out of the holes.
    I would want to be forking out on a fancy one, if it doesn’t work you can hardly return it and it might not be any use on another bike either.

letmetalktomark

What Joe has linked to was what I was asking if you had already.

If the clamp is deep enough and clamps the creaking crack then it could be a option?

chilled76
    Free Member

Tmars looks like a good shout. Cheers for the suggestion ads678

Joe G. That’s exactly what I’m running… and it has to be tight to stop it creaking

Hence the original question lol

chilled76
    Free Member

Edit, just ‘re looked at that tapered clamp. That’s not what I’m running. I’m running a double 34.9 twin bolt (double depth) clamp from a bmx

tmb467
    Free Member

There’s an Orbea dropper that might work – definitely a lot more mechanical than the others (if you can get one)

Orbea dropper

slowrider
    Free Member

Chilled, that tapered clamp might mean you can run a dropper without over tightening it?

I had a gravity dropper ages ago and ran it in a frame that everything seemed to slip around in. I tightened it proper tight and it was fine. Really really agricultural by current standards though.

richwales

If its only for taking your daughter out on the back – why bother with a dropper?

chiefgrooveguru

I found my Gravity Droppers wouldn’t work if clamped too tight. I’m not sure any droppers will – they’re made to be reasonably light yet strong enough, so the tube walls aren’t stiff enough to withstand a high clamping force without ovalisation.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Odd dropper question’ is closed to new replies.