Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Octopus energy
  • jam-bo

Thinking about switching over to these.

Any existing customers got a referral link and want to earn themselves and me £50 each?

or recommendations for alternatives?

meeeee
    Free Member

Ive been with them for nearly a year, switchover was fine, and had no problems with them.

I’ve got a referral link if you do switch 🙂

< Mod removed – referral links aren’t permitted on the forum, sorry>

jam-bo

Thanks. Switched and got a referral from a Facebook buddy.

Got to be better than Scottish power…

ThePilot
    Free Member

I’ve just been on uswitch and Octopus has come out the best.

Will likely switch tomorrow.

PM me with the link if you’ve still got it, meeeee
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div></div>
    </div>

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

i joined a few months ago, a bit annoying they put the price up, but saying that its been delayed to december,

and my old suppliers prices had all gone up considerably

withersea
    Free Member

Also with octopus and would recommend.

bigblackshed

Octopus here too. Recommended.

cheers_drive

Me too

nickdavies

< Mod removed – referral links aren’t permitted on the forum, sorry>

But altering a post specifically to add a referral link that wasnt required to benefit STW towers is… yet we cant help each other out when its of no disbenefit to the forum?

On topic, look at bulb too, im with bulb just looking at jumping to octopus as the lower standing charge makes it cheaper for me. Bulb is about 10% cheaper on kwh usage if your a heavy user though. Variable rate rather than fixed.

if anyone wants to pm me a link…. 😉

andeh

Me too. Didn’t quite come out the cheapest but was interested in their claim of using renewable energy, even though I’m not sure how it works.

Been good so far!

tthew

claim of using renewable energy, even though I’m not sure how it works

It doesn’t. There is no separate distribution system for green e<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>nergy they just buy their capacity from a company with wind or solar energy. If I’m wrong and they’ve found a way around that, be prepared for blackouts, best get candles in for those dark, still winter days. </span>

Mowgli
    Free Member

I was with Octopus briefly when Iresa when bust. Switched to Bulb as I’ve started to value reasonable customer service and support for renewables over saving a couple of quid per month – I’d assumed Octopus would be no better than Iresa, but sounds like I was wrong. If anyone wants a £50 Bulb code, PM me  🙂

Duane…
    Free Member

“It doesn’t. ” – But if nothing else, it sends out a signal to technology and project developers that there is a consumer demand , and could encourage more focus and investment.

Mowgli
    Free Member

All suppliers have to buy their energy from somewhere. Anyone with a wind turbine or hydropower plant can sell their power to any of the suppliers, in the same way as a coal fired power station does. Companies like Bulb, LoCO2, Good Energy etc exclusively buy from renewable plants. The wholesale price for small producers was about 6p/kWhr a few years ago when I used to work in that industry. It wasn’t quite enough to make the turbines economically feasible without a bit of subsidy, but as energy prices go up they’ll start to be worthwhile without any subsidy.

LittleNose
    Free Member

I could do with an Octopus code… moving hours soon and will need a supplier

LittleNose
    Free Member

I could do with an Octopus code… moving house soon and will need a supplier

sorted, cheers for the replies.. jam bo was first reply i got

grtdkad

No views on Octopus but be aware of a number of other small suppliers are teetering on the brink. Not quite paying their fair share of market costs – a few named by ofgem today who are now taking action.

They owe over £50million and guess what, if they don’t pay their dues we all pick up the tab through ‘mutualisation’.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/ofgem-takes-action-over-payment-shortfall

The new co’s don’t appear to quite understand the complexity, pitch in with low prices, take the income and then vanish.  Ofgem appear to be presiding over a race to the bottom.

grtdkad

“renewable energy, even though I’m not sure how it works”

Through Certification. Suppliers buy the Renewable certs for the MWhs they need from renewable assets, sell the power to customers.

Paper trail only as has been stated.

Depending on where you live WPD have developed a pretty good app to model / estimate what energy mix you’re actually getting at different times of the day/year …http://carbontracer.westernpower.co.uk/

grtdkad

There’s another one failed today according to the BBC.

I’m currently £300ish in credit with Together Energy, they’ve not responded to my request for a share of it returned so I’m off. Trying EdF as part of the MSE Big Switch.

‘Extra Energy’ collapse is the sixth this year

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46294104

mboy
    Free Member

The new co’s don’t appear to quite understand the complexity, pitch in with low prices, take the income and then vanish. Ofgem appear to be presiding over a race to the bottom.

I did wonder just how they can afford to offer such deals to new customers in some cases, but also to “agents” paid to get people to switch over in other cases… I’ve been with Octopus for the last 9 months, I’m £300 in credit despite paying just £50 a month for combined gas & electric, mainly cos I’ve had 4/5 friends all join up and got £50 each time they’ve signed up too. Fantastic for me, but how sustainable is it? I know there’s relatively little margin in this industry, so it does sound like a race to the bottom indeed…

Also, on the subject of “agents” being paid to get people to change. Well… Some 17yrs ago whilst I was a piss poor student in my 2nd year at uni, I did a bit of door to door sales with Scottish Power to try and help make ends meet. Long and the short of it, about 4 weeks later I jacked it in. I got £25 per household I switched over on direct debit, £20 for every one on a quarterly bill. I had a couple of lucky days earning as much as £100 in an afternoon, but more often than not I was coming home empty handed. Well… Ffwd to now, speaking to a friend who’s just been “recruited” by Utility Warehouse and banging on to me about it being the best thing since sliced bread (he’s been to induction meetings and had people get up and tell everyone else about how great it is once you’ve built your business etc. Sounds JUST like Amivo/Amway/Forever Living/Every other Pyramid scheme in the world to me!), reckons his “colleagues” are earning £2k a month extra income typically from just signing up as few as 6 people per month to their full home packages (energy, TV, internet etc.)… I can’t see where the hell the money is! There has to be a catch.

I’m currently £300ish in credit with Together Energy, they’ve not responded to my request for a share of it returned so I’m off.

I’m just about to move house, so about to have my hand forced there anyway… I do wonder quite how forthcoming they will be with the £300 odd credit I have “earnt” so far! I guess we will find out very soon…

grtdkad

FWIW I’m not suggesting Octopus are going down that path.  As far as I’m aware there’s a few experienced industry players in there …

Alpha1653

I’m in the process of switching to Octopus at the moment. They’ve been super quick to respond to my questions via email / messenger and very helpful too. Reason for the switch was that it cost the same with Octopus for the 100% renewable electricity and 100% carbon offset for gas on a fixed rate as it did with my current supplier, EON. Although someone described it as turning up to an earthquake with a dustpan and brush, at least making the individual effort to support greener energy means that at the very least you’re turning up to help.

If anyone wants a referral code, PM me.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The ofgem link above might explain why I noticed a few days ago that the MSE Energy Club quote tool was now missing a few small suppliers like Eversmart and Outfox The Market etc. I wonder if they made a decision to distance themselves from certain suppliers.

However, it seems for the time being that customers supply and any in credit balance are protected when their supplier goes pop. So you’re still good to shop around for cheapest deal IMO

bigyinn
    Free Member

Take a look at Pure Planet. I’ve just signed up with them. Should save me around £500 (well £250 if you ignore SSE Direct Debit overpayments).

Seems simple enough to changeover. If anyone want a referral link, PM me and I’ll send you details. Then we both get a £25 Amazon voucher.

grtdkad

Another ceased trading reported by the BBC today. Spark Energy anyone?

“Spark Energy Supply ceases trading”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-46316603

Cougar

But altering a post specifically to add a referral link that wasnt required to benefit STW towers is… yet we cant help each other out when its of no disbenefit to the forum?

I refer you to the forum T&Cs you agreed to when you signed up:

• No posting of referral links and codes where the poster will benefit financially or otherwise

Site Terms & Conditions

One main reason is that it gums up the forum.  Something new comes along and suddenly there’s a hundred posts spamming referral links (remember the early days of DropBox?).  In and of itself, a single link in a post may seem harmless but then we’re into the realms of “they posted a link, why can’t I?” and it all gets messy.  Easier to moderate if there’s just a blanket ban.

Feel free to PM each other if you want to share links.

lesgrandepotato

Mine can go for hours and hours. But it helps that he can switch hands.

ThePilot
    Free Member

Finally got round to doing it. Got a link if anyone wants it?

footflaps

Even if they go bust it doesn’t affect you, we were with GB Energy who folded last year IIRC and we were seamlessly moved to Coop Energy who took over their customer base. Our tariff stayed exactly the same, so made zero difference to us.

grtdkad

It does affect you.  The new cos are coming in, creating unsustainable offers to the UK public. Setting the bar low.

Not paying their fair share of industry costs. Then failing and the unpaid contribution (eg the £53m for renewables obligation currently a hot topic) is then redistributed among the remaining suppliers and customers and so the cycle continues.

Ofgem should spend more time scrutinising how credible these new-cos are. And ensure that the directors arent cleaning-up somehow (looking after their own interests).

pampmyride
    Free Member

Having ongoing hassle with Together Energy over refunding excess charges. They only respond if you leave justifiable bad reviews. So looking to move. Octopus code most welcome!

pampmyride
    Free Member

Thanks to meeeee for the code.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Octopus energy’ is closed to new replies.