Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • October half term European holiday recommendations
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

Looking for ideas for a half-board holiday at the end of October with the wife and kids. Ideally it’d be somewhere mountainous but still warm, if possible. The kids are still young and not great walkers, so activities need to be easy access. The obvious contender is the Canary Islands since they should still be warmish. Would love to go somewhere alpine but can’t imagine weather will suitable for shorts and t shirts by then.

Suggestions?

peterfile
    Free Member

Looking for ideas for a half-board holiday at the end of October with the wife and kids. Ideally it’d be somewhere mountainous but still warm, if possible.

Montenegro? Amazing place, but a wee bit more effort to get to/around than the Canaries. Worth it though. I was there last October and it was about 20-25 degrees, lovely weather.

As for mountainous….

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Good call. Funnily enough that part of Europe was on the shortlist. Where did you stay?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A friend came back from a wedding there recently – definitely pricked my interest. Sounds fantastic.

peterfile
    Free Member

Good call. Funnily enough that part of Europe was on the shortlist. Where did you stay?

We didn’t. We were staying in Croatia for a week, but travelled over a couple of times to see Montenegro. It’s not too far from Dubrovnik.

We’re planning a trip back soon, Kotor and the surrounding area is absolutely lovely, Budva was nice too but be aware that it’s full of Russian money and the entourage it attracts (i.e. less appealing as a family destination), avoid Podgorica. That’s the extent of my knowledge of Montenegro unfortunately.

A friend came back from a wedding there recently – definitely pricked my interest. Sounds fantastic.

It blew me away DD. Visited most countries on our continent and was looking forward to seeing Montenegro. Wasn’t really prepared for just how lovely it is. Great people too from what I experienced. Get in before tourism picks up and ruins the magic.

Worth getting a guide, there’s so so so much interesting history to the place (much of it recent).

epicsteve
    Free Member

We went to Olu Deniz in Turkey for the October weekend last year, staying in a resort called Lykiaworld. It was very good, with both the air and sea temperature in the high 20’s.

peterfile
    Free Member

Ha! I was at Lykiaworld with family in 2004 🙂

It was great back then, so if it’s kept up the same standards then that’s definitely worth a look in if you fancy a beach/sea activity holiday.

Great diving there and they have a good wee dive centre on the hotel site.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It blew me away DD.

Did you go independently (I imagine you being you, you did 🙂 )? What were costs like when you were there? Eating out? Beer? Would you say it’s kiddy friendly?

peterfile
    Free Member

We did go independently, but also took advantage of a tour, so we didn’t feel completely on our own when it came to the basics (simple things like currency, geography and culture were useful from a local’s perspective)

The prices of being out and about were quite unusual. Kotor, for example, is a prime destination for tourists, including a few cruise ships, so some of the bars/cafes are more expensive than you’d expect for the region, but still not “expensive”. Everything felt like it was expensive, but then we you worked it out in GBP, it was OK.

Budva was interesting. We ate in a couple of places, the food and service was great, prime location and the food was very reasonable. Montenegrin wine is lovely and when I was handed a wine list in both places I noted a huge divide in the prices on the list. The top half had wines around £5 to £15 and the bottom half had wines from £300-3000.

I thought it was just a regular/fine wine split, but the waiter explained to me (pointing at the huge Russian owned super yachts berthed outside, that his wine just wasn’t good enough for some of his newer customers. So these days, it’s actually possible to do Montenegro on a modest or huge budget in the same places.

Kotor would be a lovely place to take the kids (Safe, clean, friendly), but i’m not sure how much there would be for them to do. If they’d be happy spending long days playing around by the water then it will be fine, but if they’ll more likely to want to visit attractions then I’ve not idea what’s on offer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘October half term European holiday recommendations’ is closed to new replies.