Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Octavia VRS
  • Inbred456
    Free Member

So my trusty Mondeo estate 130 TDCI has died. A leak off test is showing 2 out of 4 injectors are knackered. I know this is a common problem but with 110k on her 1k for new injectors plus fitting and recoding is a huge leap of faith for an old car. So the plan is to put it in storage and try to source some second hand injectors and repair it as and when. So in the mean time I have sourced a mk1 skoda octavia vrs in pretty A1 condition. Anybody had one and what should I be looking for. Any advice or incite gratefully received. You can always pretend its an Audi you’ve had as I believe the mechanicals are pretty similar.

eatsdirt
    Free Member

Mates VRS had something unpleasant go on the suspension, think it was sorted under warranty though. Great car other than that, it went like stink

Jason
    Free Member

I had a very early mk1 vRS. I had it from new and covered about 110k miles in it. No real issues while I owned it, couple of very minor faults but overall I was very happy with it.

There is an owner’s forum which I am sure will have some pointers of what to look for.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Yes Briskoda I believe. The previous owner was a member so it may pay to join up.

stox
    Free Member

I had a mk1 vrs for 5 years and absolutely loved it. No issues with it in that time.

I’ve just returned to the fold with a mk2 vrs diesel estate and so far so good.
    The wife had a fabia vrs too so you could say I’d recommend them 🙂

As mentioned, briskoda website will have plenty of info

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

As mentioned, Briskoda. You don’t need to pay to join but £12 a year gets your Freedom membership which gets you a sticker, discounts, access to the classifieds and some locked parts of the forum etc. Well worth it…

I don’t know too much about the mk1 but its certainly not a bad car, especially for the money they can be had for.

I wouldn’t bother fixing the Mondeo… seems false economy. Sell it for parts and put the money towards a k04 for the Octy 😉

freddyg
    Free Member

/slightly off topic…..

The new vRS is being unveiled today at Goodwood.

Nice.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

wow that looks nice!

Rockape63
    Free Member

mutton dressed as lamb!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

New one looks really, really good. R version with 4WD would be nice!

speed12
    Free Member

The new one is on my radar for next car on company lease once my current one runs out. Drove the 4WD diesel (non vRS) back in March in Switzerland and it was properly bloody brilliant. Properly impressed with it. The only thing you can mark against Skoda these days is past history. If people can’t look past the badge then they are missing out on some cracking value for money (and just generally excellent) cars.

freddyg
    Free Member

I had a new 2.0D Elegance hatchback ffor a weekend demonstrator a couple of months ago – time to replace my lease car. At the beginning of June I had my finger hovering ofer the “order” button but decided to have one more look to see if I could find any more reports/reviews of the estate (which wasn’t available on demo). My search threw up the announcement of the vRS just a few days prior!

I’ve been hanging on ever since to see if my lease company will include them on their list. Today should be the day they say yes/no!

hora
    Free Member

The only thing I’d say is the mk1 is starting to get age-related/old now stuff. Most will be well into 100k+ territory.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Its an 04 with 84k. FSH cambelt and water pump done. I think the previous owner was obsessive about keeping it pristine. The seats and interior have had covers on from new.Its not cheap but nothing comes close for the money really. As a friend keeps telling me the quality will be remembered long after the price has been forgotten.

LoCo
    Free Member

I need those new vrs wheels for my t4!!!!!

And yes they are nice and reasonably quick too for a family saloon/estate but quite small inside in comparison to a mondeo or passat.

Inbred456
    Free Member

What is a K04? Is that a uprated turbo!

Inbred456
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

Heres a tip, when buying older cars this works for me- get the owner to drive the car. Sit in the back and relax. You can get a feel for the car if you aren’t visually concentrating/listening/doing two or three things at once……

Normally you only start to spot certain things after you’ve owned the car for a while and relaxed.

LoCo
    Free Member

Get them to wear a hat too and you can pretend you have a chauffeur 😉

willard

That’s the new vRS?? Holy shit I want one! I could really see myself buying an actual new car for something like that.

If my wife would let me buy a Skoda.

LoCo
    Free Member

I take back the ‘reasonably quick’ comment in reference to the new RS with the petrol one having 6.8 sec 0 to 60 and 154 mph. 😀

Does anyone know which wheel model is on the above picture of the new one as I really want a set of them!

Inbred456
    Free Member

That is a 04. They are the standard alloys I think. 320mm disc brakes for what that’s worth. I pick her up tomorrow. Quite looking forward to driving her back to Durham via the back roads of course!

Inbred456
    Free Member

That is a 04. They are the standard alloys I think. 320mm disc brakes for what that’s worth. I pick her up tomorrow. Quite looking forward to driving her back to Durham via the back roads of course! I think they are 17’s.

hora
    Free Member

Don’t know if this helps – bro in law had a 1.8T S3. I really liked it but (from fuzzy memory now) it was nervous(?)/weird in a way. He had it remapped- not by much but when I drove it again it felt waaaaay smoother. It was only c£300 as well. Alot of remap companies can put a tester map on that expires after a while so you can try before you buy..

LoCo
    Free Member

Sorry, meant the new RS (white one further up) Have fun, clearful now 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

@ Hora, Yes the local Revo place offered a try before you buy remap on the passat (tdi 130) up 50bhp or something, didn’t go for it in the end as milage over 100k and worried about reliability (and my licence) 😉

Tried the forks with that comp. damper in too yet?? 😀

hora
    Free Member

On a TDI I’d rather spend the money on a service. With the added torque over a petrol, even a 110bhp 1.9 doesn’t feel lethargic/crap!

Inbred456
    Free Member

200hp easy with a remap. A lot of cupra’s have the same engine and they kick out 225 as standard.

LoCo
    Free Member

@Hora serviced really regulary and everything done, 130 is quick enough a little more poke would be nice the VRS TDI I almost bough in it’s place was just about right, mate has the current VRS Superb which is awesome (and massive)

Think there is a mk2 golf with one of the 1.8T engines in that’s road legal and running over 1000bhp 😯

hora
    Free Member

Loco. I make do with 65bhp at the moment.

The next time I step into a 200bhp car I imagine I’d have to readjust the springs in my right foot 😀

LoCo
    Free Member

Drive the T4 most of the time with about 65bhp and 2 tonnes odd, so even the sensible family saloon requires re adjusting my head especially the decent brakes 😕

Have the motorbikes for going proper fast. (when they’re actually in one piece)

ThePinkster

Think there is a mk2 golf with one of the 1.8T engines in that’s road legal and running over 1000bhp

1000bhp through a front wheel drive car? 😯
    Now that’s proper scary, especially in the corners, I’d have thought.

LoCo
    Free Member

Think it had the 4wd drive system fitted. There was a video somewhere, may have been on here.

stox
    Free Member

Inbred456 – Member
    That is a 04. They are the standard alloys I think. 320mm disc brakes for what that’s worth. I pick her up tomorrow. Quite looking forward to driving her back to Durham via the back roads of course!

Enjoy! I missed mine as soon as I sold it. Just returned to a mk2 vrs and it feels great to be back.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Yeah i looked at a lot of mk2’s lovely cars but just not any around up here for now. I would of gone for the estate but they are really thin on the ground. So its a detachable tow bar going on for the bikes.

stox
    Free Member

Really good size boot in the hatches too .. In both the Mk1 and 2.
    Get some more pics up when you’ve got it 😉
    The diesel mk2 estates are even scarcer … Mine came up in a local garage and I couldn’t go past without stopping for a look 🙂
    Just because I love it…

Inbred456
    Free Member

That is very nice! Diesel or petrol?

fingerbike
    Free Member

Really like these, looking at getting a MK2 when the Pishrat gives me a big bill, on 178,000 at the mo with no sign of stopping though.

Is it possible to get a smaller size wheel on them, say 16″ or will the brakes get in the way?

stox
    Free Member

Its the Diesel pd170 bhp engine.
    Goes really well yet i Can get up to 50 mpg out of it even when its full of camping gear.
    I think my next car will be one of the new mk3 estates that was posted earlier on in the thread. Not for a few years yet tho!

stox
    Free Member

Is it possible to get a smaller size wheel on them, say 16″ or will the brakes get in the way?

18’s on mine which were an option. Standard on mk2 vrs are 17″. Don’t know if you can go smaller but even 17’s look too small IMO

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Octavia VRS’ is closed to new replies.