Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Octalink crank loose on spider? Is it fixable?
  • V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I have just bought a crankset on the classifieds and it has arrived with a bit of play in the spider in relation to the crank arm. I haven’t seen this before and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Can it be fixed? I can see veyr clearly how it is attached at the moment, but I will clean it up tonight and have a closer look. It looks kind of like a press fitting so it might not be possible.

cheers
    Mark

Mister-P
    Free Member

What crank is it?

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

It’s the standard shimano hollowtech, i’ll try to find a picture….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickc

I’d say that’s probably borked TBH

Mister-P
    Free Member

There is a code stamped on the back of the pedal arm around the pedal hole. Find that and I may be able to help.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

FC-M540

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It looks kind of like a press fitting so it might not be possible.

in the absence of a locking ring, extreme violence with a centre punch or similar drift should deform enough metal to clinch it tight again…

Mister-P
    Free Member

Nickc was right, sorry!

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Mister P, do you have access to shimano service instructions or something?

SFB, there is some kind of crimped ring in there, but without destroying it I can’t work out how it is supposed to hold it tight. I guess hitting it with a hammer won’t hurt…. actually best not, probably best to just send it back to the seller. It might be more difficult if i send it back in more pieces than it arrived.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

SFB, there is some kind of crimped ring in there, but without destroying it I can’t work out how it is supposed to hold it tight

I have an old one at home so I’ll have a look see, but yes, I guess it’s best just to reject it as not fit for purpose 🙁

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I had a look at my crank and the spider seems to be splined onto the crank arm. It not obvious what holds it on, though it looks like an interference fit…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have had this – the spider goes on splines on the crank and the end of the splined shaft bit is peened over to grip it. Judicious use of a centre punch sorts it for a while at least – but if you just bought ’em they should go back

Mister-P
    Free Member

Everyone has access to Shimano service instructions and exploded diagrams. Google for FC-M540 EV (for exploded view) and you will see what I see. This works with all current components and a large percentage of old ones.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Thanks for the info guys. It looks like there is some kind of circlip, but it doesn’t seem sensible that a crank would be held on this way. I think the centre punch will be the most sensible answer if i don’t return them.

Jeremy, did yours come lose again?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Google for FC-M540 EV (for exploded view)

I did that and found *THIS* which does not show any detail of the connection of the spider to the crank 🙁

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I had this happen twice – one set fine after peening the crimp with a centre punch – the other worked a bit loose again

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

For anyone interested, Jeremy method did work, a big screwdriver and a hammer worked a treat!
    A quick spray with black paint to hide the heel rub and they are good as new. 🙂
    cheers
    Mark

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Octalink crank loose on spider? Is it fixable?’ is closed to new replies.