Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Occam Main Pivot Removal Problem – Help
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

When I say problem, catastrophe would probably be a better word.
    My replacement main pivot for my M10 arrived yesterday and I just tried to fit it.

It’s gone very badly wrong.

I removed the little Allen bolt that holds the expander wedge in, and then removed the main pivot bolt using a 8mm Allen.

Unfortunately when it came out it was almost smooth with the alloy female thread ingrained in the male thread.

I think that what happened is that the expander shim whatsit on the near side didn’t move properly and so instead of it coming outwards it stuck solid. As I turned the Allen key the bolt stayed still and stripped the chainstay thread.

Did I do something wrong?

There was no other way of doing it from what I could see. I couldn’t move the sleeve or whack it to displace it as it was hidden in the frame.

Will phone orbea/ bike shops tomorrow, but any guidance/ info/ opinion on whether I screwed up would be appreciated.

( but be gentle, I may just have made myself bikeless for 8 months)

martinhutch

EDIT: Ah, scrub that, you’ve stripped the actual frame thread? No wonder you’re feeling awful. I can’t see you’ve done anything wrong as long as you weren’t absolutely heaving on it.

uggski
    uggski

or

uggski

thegeneralist
    Free Member

might help

Funnily enough, I looked at that beforehand. Was helpful. Or at least I thought it was…..

uggski vid with Ralon

Yep. Watched that video too. It all looked so easy.

purple linkage tool vid

Got a bit worried when I saw that tool, and thought perhaps it was something cunning to unbind the shims, but it wasn’t. Again, i did what was shown in that video to take it apart…

Just that instead of the bolt coming put, the chainstay thread stripped
    ( and no I didn’t tighten it by mistake )

uggski

I have to do the same for my Occam sometime. May just send it to the shop 🙁

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Occam Main Pivot Removal Problem – Help’ is closed to new replies.