Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Observations, values, life…
  • Kryton57

Sometimes what goes on around me hits me with such surprise I wonder how people cope with themselves.

1.  I took my car in for a service yesterday. Yes, it’s a BM (Yeah, yeah whatever but it’s important for the story) and there was a 30 ish young lady acting up amongst the waiting public as if she was the only one in the world that had a BM, as if these things are some enormous status symbol, and acting all dizzy over the coffee machine desperately trying to get some male attention to help her press the Macchiato button.   Whilst waiting for her to stop play acting and piss off, I couldn’t help wondering how she gets on all day with this facade.

2. On picking up my car – which by default receives a complimentary clean – I walked past it to reception to note it was covered in bird shit – lots.   I actually had to argue that case that i didn’t bring it in that way, it had a “your car has received a complimentary valet with our thanks” thing hanging from the mirror, and therefore they should clean it again. Now, in my mind if the situation had been reversed and I was the Garage I would have stuck it through the on-site car wash without a moments hesitation, let alone argue with the customer.  Why bother with the stress of the argument and leave a bad taste in a customers mouth?

Odd. Maybe I’m getting old.

perchypanther
    Free Member

1. O wad some Power the giftie gie us
    To see oursels as ithers see us!
    It wad frae mony a blunder free us,
    An’ foolish notion:

2. Guano Justice

Rubber_Buccaneer

This bird that shit on your bonnet, was it the same one you didn’t help with her machiatto earlier?

darkroomtim
    Free Member

^^ @rubber_buccaneer – now that made me laugh ! bravo 🙂

Kryton57

Lol very good.

She didn’t need me she had several other middle aged chaps fawning all over her.

timbog160

You’re getting old…

Or auld, to stick with Perchy’s theme

slowoldman

leave a bad taste in a customers mouth?

They didn’t force feed you the bird shit did they?

scaredypants

no, but they do a pretty kacky macchiato

flange
    Free Member

Cooper BMW? Service plan? If it is, I’d be more worried about the fact they won’t actually have done anything other than Hoover the inside of it.

My 135i that had been on a service plan had apparently never had an oil change – the sump plug has a seal on it fitted from factory and mine was still there 30k miles later. And wait for it’s first service after it finishes the plan – apparently all my brakes were shot, suspension had issues and the gearbox needed looking at. Funny how this wasn’t picked up when they were footing the bill….

IdleJon

as if she was the only one in the world that had a BM, as if these things are some enormous status symbol

One of the car shows tested a Dacia Duster and came to the conclusion that it was actually ok. Even better, it’s very cheap which makes it more than ok. (To paraphrase!) They interviewed a few of The Public, and this woman said that she’d almost bought one but, being a car snob, had gone for a Hyundai instead. I’ve puzzled over this statement for a while now. Still makes no sense to me.

DrP

‘s funny isn’t it…values!

I spent far too much time and energy (which, is my fault, as I should have just said ‘HUSH’..) to someone who was shocked that a doctor was driving an 07 plate Octavia! They were visibly aghast that I wasn’t in a German poshmobile (which, I have ZERO issues with..I just don’t want one at the moment)!

Meh.. my Octavius Prime Roolz….

DrP

Mister-P
    Free Member

Didn’t you press the coffee button for her with a sigh and a withering look?

johndoh
    Free Member

Maybe it is just me but if my car had a complimentary wash I couldn’t bring myself to argue the toss over a bit of bird shit on it when I collected it.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Kryton57

Subscriber
    Sometimes what goes on around me hits me with such surprise I wonder how people cope with themselves.

1. I took my car in for a service yesterday. Yes, it’s a BM (Yeah, yeah whatever but it’s important for the story) and there was a 30 ish young lady acting up amongst the waiting public as if she was the only one in the world that had a BM, as if these things are some enormous status symbol, and acting all dizzy over the coffee machine desperately trying to get some male attention to help her press the Macchiato button. Whilst waiting for her to stop play acting and piss off, I couldn’t help wondering how she gets on all day with this facade.

2. On picking up my car – which by default receives a complimentary clean – I walked past it to reception to note it was covered in bird shit – lots. I actually had to argue that case that i didn’t bring it in that way, it had a “your car has received a complimentary valet with our thanks” thing hanging from the mirror, and therefore they should clean it again. Now, in my mind if the situation had been reversed and I was the Garage I would have stuck it through the on-site car wash without a moments hesitation, let alone argue with the customer. Why bother with the stress of the argument and leave a bad taste in a customers mouth?

Odd. Maybe I’m getting old.

Maybe no2 is just karma for you judging the poor lassie in no1! 😆

Kryton57

Maybe it is just me but if my car had a complimentary wash I couldn’t bring myself to argue the toss over a bit of bird shit on it when I collected it.

I looked to look after my things.  Anyway, it wasn’t a bit – it was literally like a bucket of the stuff had been thrown over my bonnet and windscreen.  The explanation was that a apparently around the back where the service bays entrances are, they suffer from Gulls roosting on a power line.

Like I said, she had plenty of other mid lifers fooled into helping her out.

bsims
    Free Member

Then said “it’s idiot proof”

johndoh
    Free Member

I guess if it was *that* bad but difficult to judge – your car cleanliness standards may differ from mine.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Gulls roosting on a power line.

This doesn’t smell right to me.

I’ve never seen a gull perched on a wire. Their feet are the wrong shape to hold on.

Nico
    Free Member

someone who was shocked that a doctor was driving an 07 plate Octavia!

The intricacies of the British class system. As a doctor you can rest assured of your position in life. The bimbo with the coffee machine is only too aware that her status is built on candy-floss and lip filler (I’m assuming a lot here). It’s the old situation of Alan Clark looking down his nose at Michael Heseltine because he didn’t inherit his wealth, despite Clark being an amusing by-line in history and Heseltine a significant player.

See also:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2019/jun/19/what-boris-johnsons-filthy-car-tells-us-about-the-aspiring-pm

perchypanther
    Free Member

someone who was shocked that a doctor was driving an 07 plate Octavia

A Doctavia.

I’ve seen loads of doctors driving Octavias.

Edukator
    Free Member

the sump plug has a seal on it fitted from factory and mine was still there 30k miles later.

Perhaps they use a vacuum pump. Much easier on some BMWs.

When it doen’t do you any harm (which it rarely does) it’s great watching the mad world around you go by. Think “social seduction” and you can turn potentially depressing situations into positive encounters.

To the lady, “try the hot chocolate, it’s lousy, but not as lousy as machine coffee”.

To the service bod, “could you lend me a bucket full of water and a brush please? There’s bird shit all over the bonnet which is a pity as you’ve just valleted it.”

DezB
    Free Member

I saw “Observations, values, life…” and expected somehing deep. Not bloke gets his car serviced and normal stuff happens 😆

My brother’s garage valet would never have left shite on my car. Not a Bmw garage though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

That 30yr old who had to flaunt herself to get a coffee??

That was you when you were in your 30’s ..

Be grateful for who you at today.

My cars filthy too BTW, I hate driving in rain.

Kryton57

That 30yr old who had to flaunt herself to get a coffee??

That was you when you were in your 30’s

Nah, I was able to put a cup under a nozzle and press a button way before then.

it’s great watching the mad world around you go by

It is, the way my mind has changed in recent times seems to have afforded me much more observational time.  I’ve seen so many things lately whereby I’m watching and seeing a lot of wasted energy over different things, its quite enlighting.

“Observations, values, life…” and expected somehing deep.

We are getting there, feel free to contribute 🙂

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

The (soon to be ex) drives a BMW, I used to take it to our local Cumbrian dealer. The amount of cockwombles in the dealership was unbelievable. Bunch of miserable sods drooling over the latest M4 or whatever. Still on the up side they stiffed her for 2 new tyres at £400.00 last week which made me chuckle…
    Not all BM owners are like that, but certain dealers do attract their fair share of gimps
    I drive an old Volvo, and on my last visit to the dealer (safety recall) I spent a great 2 hours listening to an old boy going on about how he terrifies his wife in his purpose built off road 4×4 .

5plusn8
    Free Member

Rubber buccaneer. How I wish I had your quick wit. Superb.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Observations, values, life…’ is closed to new replies.