Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Obree speed record attempt
  • ElShalimo

It’s been quiet recently, has there been any updates on his training?
    I think the event is in mid-September

trail_rat
    Free Member

hes been doing the talks circuit , ihad 3 tickets to go see him in tarland but was stuck off shore in equatorial guinea for the duration 🙁

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

MMmmmmmm…. guinea pigs..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    unovolo
    Free Member

Decent article on him and the speed attempt in this months Cyclist(Oct) magazine.

stanfree
    Free Member

As above , great article . I think the man is a legend and I really hope he breaks the record. In the article he talks about how he enginered “The Beastie” on a shoestring and was chuffed to bits to get some perspex for a £10 to make a helmet. 😀
    He also dosen’t own a car and cycle everywhere on and old tourer with panniers. He’s some dude.

fanatic278
    Free Member

I went to his talk in Aboyne last week. Sounds like his training hasn’t been ideal with some surgery and complications. He didn’t seem hopeful of a record.

Macavity
    Free Member
    AlexSimon

He’s in the US apparently.
    Lots of stuff I didn’t know in this article. It sounds like he’s wisely lowered his expectations though
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/other-sports/cycling/bulletproof-beastie-can-make-fastest-2258015

Dolcered

he’s at the gft in Glasgow on 23rd of November for a talk.

somafunk

12th November at the GFT, Tickets here..

It’ll be well worth going to, i was at his previous talk at Oran Mor back in July with regard to his 20th anniversary of the hour record, bloody good night and very amusing Q & A section afterwards, i asked him if he’d consider standing for presidency of the UCI, he replied i’m far too qualified for such a role 😆

Dolcered

ah yes, it is the 12th. as long as I turn up on the right day…….

…I once rode at 76mph down Scafell Pike…

The guy is an absolute legend.

martymac

i remember showing him my terry dolan road bike back in ’93, old skool skinny steel, and he looked at the top tube and said ‘do you not find that tube battering your knees with every pedal stroke?’
    the thing is, he was serious.

iainc

He gave our club (GMBC) a really enlightening close up and personal chat at Alpine Bikes the other month. Only about 25 of us there incl the shop guys, so was really good. He’s a complicated and fascinating guy for sure and it would be great if he managed it.

http://obree.com/obree-news/325-battle-mountain-hpv-update.html

46.8mph on his first run over 2.5 miles, although he reached 55+mph at one point.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve met him a couple of times, he’s quite clearly as mad as a box of frogs, but great to listen to and a bit of a legend.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Good to see it getting some big media coverage, complete with a brief but well written synopsis of Obree’s influence on the sport – http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24015622

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

More insight here

Go Graeme go!

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

more cheese gromit?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

some times coming in here http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/whpsc2013/results.htm

Obree is well down on the some of the other bikes – doesn’t look good – or is he just testing the bike for a fast run later in the week?

clubber
    Free Member

From what I read on twitter, he was stuggling with steering meaning that he couldn’t go at full power. He was talking about increasing the gearing to try and help make the bike more stable (or more to the point, presumably to mean he was moving around less).

bencooper
    Free Member

Every prone recumbent I’ve tried has been insanely twitchy – I’m not sure of the exact reason, but I wonder if that’s what’s causing him problems.

clubber
    Free Member
    fasthaggis

I’m not sure of the exact reason, but I wonder if that’s what’s causing him problems.

Ben ,Looking at this,I can’t imagine the bars are much good at delicate 😯

pondo

Think I read that he’s missing Tuesday to change gear ratios, she gets a bit twitchy at a high cadence, apparantly.

AlasdairMc

The article on the Daily Record site sums up just how mad he is – very well written I thought.

bencooper
    Free Member

“Put the notepad down big man, I need you to launch the bike.”

Brilliant 😉

kcr
    Free Member

I had a shot on a procumbent that Venom built in the mid 90s (at low speed) and it was very twitchy.
    It’s obviously a big proving session for Obree, interesting to see what potential his design has when he irons out the development issues. At first glance it doesn’t look like it is radically better than some of the alternatives in terms of frontal area.
    It is a great competition. Basically a race full of Obrees, all working on original designs. I liked the backwards Slovenian steering with a mirror.

clubber
    Free Member

I liked the backwards Slovenian steering with a mirror.

Link? 🙂 That’s brilliant!

Daniel
    Free Member

Also worth following Humans Invent

Just noticed I’ve been beaten to it 😳

AlexSimon

I think he’s riding again at about 4:20pm our time

molgrips
    Free Member

He seems to be mates with Hoy. I wonder if trying to persuade him to ride the bike would not be considered cricket…?

clubber
    Free Member

Hoy wouldn’t fit in that thing!

molgrips
    Free Member

He could put bulges in the side.. kind of like muscle cars have a bonnet bulge this could have a thigh bulge.

clubber
    Free Member

I was thinking more of his shoulders…

AlexSimon

Thinking about Hoy in one. Jason Queally was the british record holder for a while, so it seems sprinters can do it, but why do they insist on having a 5 mile length for the track?
    I would have thought that once you’re up near top speed, you’ve already used most of your energy.

molgrips
    Free Member

Maybe they want it to be a longer effort than a sprint? Seems odd.

pondo

Think it’s a five mile track with a marked-off 200 metre “timing section”, the five miles is for them to get up to speed, cross the timing section, then slow down again at the end, I think. Don’t think they have to record a time over the whole five miles.

AlexSimon

pondo – Member
    Think it’s a five mile track with a marked-off 200 metre “timing section”, the five miles is for them to get up to speed, cross the timing section, then slow down again at the end, I think. Don’t think they have to record a time over the whole five miles.

No they don’t but Graeme has been saying that the 2.5mile course for qualifying suits him better.
    Maybe it’s difficult to coast along for a couple of miles (due to gearing) before really going for it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Obree speed record attempt’ is closed to new replies.