Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 300 total)
  • Obese? "Exercise or We'll Cut Your Benefits" – Tory Council Plan.
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

binners – Member
    Kids are £3.99.

Thanks, but I’m not sure I could eat a whole one.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

No, it’s free. I’ve effectively paid for my bike several times over since I’ve been cycling to work.

So you paid for the bike – it’s not free 😉

jon1973
    Free Member

OK, I think you probably understand the point I’m making. If I hadn’t bought that bike, I’d be worse off financially. 🙂

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Isn’t that a Cake ?

I think you’re on to something there!

Maybe, he bought a pack of Jaffa Cakes thinking they were miniature pizzas?

Hmmmmm. Jaffa Cakes……

Junkyard
    Free Member

beat me to it

I agree cycling and football is cheaper than Polo but even running requires shoes for the task [ apparently]

binners

You don’t have to spend thousands on a bike to commute to work.

Are you new here?

jon1973
    Free Member

unfortunately not, binners.

anagallis_arvensis

Not free bikes or maintenance as such, but I cycle to work and save far more on diesel then I have spent on bikes or bike maintenance (not including any saving I make because of less wear and tear on the car). So it’s effectively free, yes. Plus you get to keep fit.

are you seriously this stupid? People who cannot afford bikes cannot afford cars so cannot save money on getting to work by bike as they most likely havent got a job either.

molgrips
    Free Member

They’ll be exactly the same as the Tesco’s own brand ones

They aren’t the same, obviously.

And why is pizza considered intrinsically unhealthy? The Italian style ones (yes, that country where they eat the famous ‘Mediterranean diet’ that is supposedly so good for you) are a bit of bread, with concentrated tomatoes on it (very good for you) some veg, some meat and a sprinkling of mozerella. Don’t see a problem here.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Well… either do that make-your-own-from-organic-vegetables hippy shit… or just go to Pizza Hut. All you can eat buffet £6.95. And there’s a great view of Carphone Warehouse across the retail park car park. Whats not to like?

The taste…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Don’t see a problem here

have you considered looking at the calories ?

D0NK

No, it’s free. I’ve effectively paid for my bike several times over since I’ve been cycling to work.

getting a job close to home and walking is free, what you’re doing is economising and getting yourself some exercise too and good on you for that*, not free tho.

*meant sincerely**

**that sounds patronising, sorry.

ChrisHeath

never know anyone make their own baked beans

I do. You should try it – home made baked beans are awesome. Although with the bacon and molases, I doubt they’re particularly ‘healthy’.

Solo
    Free Member

And why is pizza considered intrinsically unhealthy

Hhhmmm. Not sure what you’re doing there Molgrips. Its widely acknowledged that grains aren’t Man’s natural food, no matter what Nestle might tell us.

molgrips
    Free Member

have you considered looking at the calories ?

Yes – have you?

Italian ham and mushroom

750kcal the whole pizza
    20g of fat
    3.6g salt.

Not so bad for a main meal of the day I think, if you eat it all which I usually don’t.

Its widely acknowledged that grains aren’t Man’s natural food

It’s not widely acknowledged at all, just by some 🙂 And I said ‘considered’ not ‘is’.

A nicely made pizza is not an unhealthy thing generally speaking, arguments about grains aside.

binners

I think the health benefits of pizza in this famous ‘Mediterranean diet’ you speak of Molly, only take effect when you drink a shit-load of red wine with it too?

ChrisHeath

Women used to stay at home, look after the family, cook the meals etc. Now in most families both partners work.
    We work longer hours than ever before individually never mind as a family unit.
    We travel further to work than our parents and grandparents.
    Streets are busy and full of traffic, certainly not the playground they were for children just a generation ago.

These are all choices. We expect a better standard of living now, and ‘standard of living’ is expressed in material terms, than when I was a kid, and only had one working parent.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but choices none the less.

Peyote
    Free Member

I agree cycling and football is cheaper than Polo but even running requires shoes for the task [ apparently]

Not for Zola Budd!

butcher

And why is pizza considered intrinsically unhealthy? The Italian style ones (yes, that country where they eat the famous ‘Mediterranean diet’ that is supposedly so good for you) are a bit of bread, with concentrated tomatoes on it (very good for you) some veg, some meat and a sprinkling of mozerella. Don’t see a problem here.

Pizza in Italy is awesome. I’m no dietician. I don’t know how healthy it is. But it definely looks way healthier than anything served over here. It tastes good too.

And funnily enough most Italians appear to be proportioned quite perfectly.

binners

These are all choices.

Given that the average house price in this country is now about £180,000, you must be on a nice salary to pay that mortgage with one income

Believe it or not, not many people are

Peyote
    Free Member

Pizza in Italy is awesome. I’m no dietician. I don’t know how healthy it is. But it definely looks way healthier than anything served over here. It tastes good too.

And funnily enough most Italians appear to be proportioned quite perfectly.

When I was there, it was sold by the slice from street vendors. Could be a portion size thing? Mind you the stuff they make compared to the stuff Dominos churn out are worlds apart.

Solo
    Free Member

It’s not widely acknowledged at all

Yeah, it is, by the entire Human race who existed in great numbers before Pizza was invented and before farming was created. But you know this.
    😉

So keep your pizza and any issues with body fat. I’ll be enjoying Venison steak, instead.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think the health benefits of pizza in this famous ‘Mediterranean diet’ you speak of Molly, only take effect when you drink a shit-load of red wine with it too?

I have no idea, I’m not an expert in diet.

Given that the average house price in this country is now about £180,000, you must be on a nice salary to pay that mortgage with one income

Believe it or not, not many people are

Stats FAIL, seriously you should know better than that by now.

Mind you the stuff they make compared to the stuff Dominos churn out are worlds apart

Had the italian style ones from Domninos? I have, and I’ve also eaten from Italian street vendors.

D0NK

dunno the nutritional values of these, but I’m guessing they’re considerably less healthy after I’ve grated a load of cheddar over the top.

(all calories consumed within 45mins of finishing a nightride are “free”)

scuzz
    Free Member

These are all choices.

As is the choice not to jump off a cliff. There’s always choice, it’s just the circumstances that influence the choices possible. Circumstances which are beyond many people’s reasonable control, so we all settle into our equilibrium of effort/quality of life.
    Whatever happened to trying?

ChrisHeath

you must be on a nice salary

Unfortunately not. But then again, I chose a house that was considerably cheaper than the national average.

binners

Sorry Molls… would you care to enlighten me as to what, piffling, easily-affordable-on-one-salary-without-living-in-abject-poverty figure we’re actually looking at? Cheers

ChrisHeath

There’s always choice

I know. That’s what I said.

:o)

Peyote
    Free Member

Had the italian style ones from Domninos? I have, and I’ve also eaten from Italian street vendors.

Nope, last time we had Dominos the Missus ended up with food poisoning (suspected), odd seeing as she had vegetarian and I had ominvore. Anyway, haven’t been back to them since.

I’ll bow to your more in-depth knowledge though!

scuzz
    Free Member

There’s always choice

I know. That’s what I said.

Cofffeeeeeeeeeee

Like molgrips, I also have had both of these pizzas.
    Also like molgrips’, my statement alone proves nothing 😀

ChrisHeath

Cofffeeeeeeeeeee

Don’t choose to have too much milk in it. It might turn you into a fatty.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, binners, the mean house price doesn’t necessarily mean the most common house price, does it?

cookeaa

It’s all part of the “Deserving and Undeserving Poor” campaign that the Torys and gutter press like stirring up innit…

Yeah! All people who claim benefits are Fatties stuffing their gobs with KFC and watching Jeremy Kyle on 50ft Tellys they bought with their ill gotten benefits – Fact! – It must be true ‘cos the Mail AND the Sun says so…

The fact is that as “evolved” and Politically sensitive as we all think we are obese people are one of the few groups nasty little gits can still sneer at and make jokes about with near impunity.

Obesity is considered an “epedemic” which means in order to get to that point gainfully employed, non-benefit claimants are just as much (if not more) part of this problem (Shocker)…

It can’t be tackled just by blaming the jobless (like most things seem to be these days). Regardless of the cause the effort (and investment) needs to be focused on motivating people to try new sports, get involved in exercise and activities.

Encouragement not just bawling at them for daring to be tubby and telling them it’s all their own fault, some people do need help and I’d consider it the mark of a civilized society that we help those in need rather than cut them loose and blame them for all societal ills…

Nobody chooses to be overweight, but poor choices, lack of education, psychological issue and living in a culture where we do less physical activity and increasingly drive everywhere are all contributing factors, tackle those problems before you start starving the poor of resources.

IHN

by the entire Human race who existed in great numbers before Pizza was invented and before farming was created. But you know this.

There are more people alive right now than were ever alive before we discovered/created farming. And anyway, the grains we farmed were variants of the wild ones that we ate before, we just grew them in one place so we could have easier access to them and a more certain supply.

So, in short, I say you’re talking balls.

IHN

Nobody chooses to be overweight

…must…resist…

binners

Molly – Actual figures on prices is not really the point is it?

What I’m saying is that at present supporting a family, and bringing up kids, while paying a mortgage – with only one salary coming in – is pretty much impossible. Unless you’re one of the top 5% of earners. Or maybe if you got on the housing ladder 15+ years ago. But certainly not at present

In areas where housing is cheap, they are generally areas of high unemployment and low wages. And where there’s high wage economy, property prices are sky high

Are you seriously disputing this?

grum
    Free Member

Encouragement not just bawling at them for daring to be tubby and telling them it’s all their own fault, some people do need help and I’d consider it the mark of a civilized society that we help those in need rather than cut them loose and blame them for all societal ills…

+1

Some fairly blatant demonisation/snobbery towards the poor/chavs/fat people – standard on STW. People might try to characterise it as making people take responsibility for themselves, but to me it just shows a basic lack of human compassion.

Mind you at least it’s not as bad as UKC.

surfer
    Free Member

Except, as I explained, it’s not

But you didnt explain did you. You made reference to having relatives who happen to be kids. I dont think this gives you any more insight than any other childless person does it?

Anyway, let’s just say that there is a child who eats a lot of unhealthey food, which they obtain after watching adverts for it on the telly and pestering their parents into buying it. This continues to the point where the child is overweight. Is the excess weight really all the fault of the adverts? I’d say the lack of parental responsibility far outweighs the existence of the adverts

There you go again, its not all straight lines in the real world and a poor attempt at a straw man.
    Pester power and peer pressure is unfortunately a real phenomenon and if you are ever in the position to have deal with it lets hope your armory is better equipped than simply saying “no”

phil.w
    Free Member

Nobody chooses to be overweight

They may not have chosen to get there in the first place but they choose to do something or nothing about it.

How is choosing to do nothing not a choice to stay overweight?

molgrips
    Free Member

Are you seriously disputing this?

No. It’s hard to live one one salary for most people as you rightly point out. But you don’t need to resort to poor use of stats to prove it 🙂

They may not have chosen to get there in the first place but they choose to do something or nothing about it

A great many people try to do something about it but fail. The majority I would guess. Why do they fail?

There are two possibilities:

1) It can be really very difficult

2) All fat people are stupid, ignorant and lazy, and all skinny people are heroes.

You should have a bit of a think about which answer you prefer.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 300 total)

The topic ‘Obese? "Exercise or We'll Cut Your Benefits" – Tory Council Plan.’ is closed to new replies.