• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by rs.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • OBER – Great idea from a US magazine
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not sure if anyone else reads Mountain Bike Action, a US magazine. Lots of lovely bike pron to look at, and occasionally some really interesting articles too.

One such turned up recently, the idea of OBER. A natty little acronym standing for One Bag Each Ride. As in, each time you ride, take one bag with you to pick up some litter.

There will always be muppets who litter the trails out there, but perhaps if enough of us did OBER, it might make a real difference. I know that I’ve regularly shipped back a bag’s worth on some of my rides, so I may just start doing it more! Every little helps, eh?

miketually
    Free Member

Definately worth doing. “Be the change you want to see in the world”, and all that.

You could do it near where you live too (some proles could have got onto your estate). Just go for a walk with a carrier bag.

Junkyard
    Free Member

… carrier bag FFS mike what were you thinking of
    * shakes head in disbelief *
    surely we should use a hesian bag for this or something biodegradeable ?

😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Junkyard, by reusing my Fortnum and Mason’s carrier bags, I am indeed recycling! 😉

sofatester
    Free Member

OBER? I’ve seen that idea in other “magazines” as well 😉

Mackem

I´d rather people were shamed/beaten into picking up their own litter.

miketually
    Free Member

… carrier bag FFS mike what were you thinking of
    * shakes head in disbelief *
    surely we should use a hesian bag for this or something biodegradeable ?

You can get biodegradable carrier bags…

Assuming you already have one, you can keep one in your pocket all the time. Obviously, once getting home, the litter would be decanted into appropriate recycling receptacles and the bag used again.

😉

leftyboy
    Free Member

Would love to but on arecent ride I’d need a transit van to pick up all the cr*p dumped on a local bridelway. Looks like someones torched a car and then chucked all the burnt bits all over a 250 metre square area1

This is near an area where they put in posts to deter 4 x 4 who just hooked them up to their tow bars and pulled the posts out!

The answer seems to involve a 12 bore!

MrNutt
    Free Member

carry on like that flashy dear and you’ll lose your place in the royal enclosure, fancy discussing staff affairs in public!

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Been going since the 70’s hasn’t it – AKA ‘Wombling’

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀 @ MrNutt!

Wombling, OBER, call it what you like, it’s a grand idea. I reckon that STW should put together an official OBER Weekend, get everyone involved, get photos going, bit of mainstream PR etc…..whaddyareckon?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

used to do that at bolehils as it was local, ened up going apeshit at some kid who threw a mars wraper on the floow while i was tidying the other end of the track!

I dont blame the parents, i blame the politicians who dont demand the parents weren’t castrated.

scruff
    Free Member

Cant fit car tyres, burnt out caravans or sofas in my bag.

Littering / flytipping is a crime which goes unpunished, its easier to catch speeding drivers at 32mph.

nickc

Yep, already try to. Ignoring rubbish is as bad as putting there yourself.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Junkyard, by reusing my Fortnum and Mason’s carrier bags, I am indeed recycling!

I’ll use a LiDLs bag!

Not a Somerfield one, though. I will not lower myself to such depths.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

lidl is shit, got to aldi!

the only place worse than lidl is netto

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Not a Somerfield one, though. I will not lower myself to such depths.

that puts ME in my place then (as a Somerfield regular) 🙁

but I’m thinking if you notice trailside garbage your ride must be dull…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Ignoring rubbish is as bad as putting there yourself.

a sentiment dear to Mr-if-you’re-not-with-us-you’re-against-us-Bush 🙁
    What about the traditional farmer’s rusting pile of defunct agricultural equipment ? Should we be dragging that off to the tip too ?

rs
    Free Member

*I was out for a ride at the weekend which involves a lot of downhill stuff then a ride back up the road to the top of the trails, b@stard thing was that i realised part way down that I’d forgotten to bring anything to drink. I was gasping by the time I got to the bottom and the cycle back up past tons of half empty bottles of water and juice (chucked out of car windows) was pure torture.

* this is only vaguely related to the original post as it involves litter.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘OBER – Great idea from a US magazine’ is closed to new replies.