Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Oban – Route suggestions?
  • flowerpower
    Free Member

We are looking at heading to either Aviemore or Oban this coming weekend (weather dependant).

I know a few good routes in Aviemore and we are happy to explore / play around Rothiemurchus, but does anyone know of any nice routes / woods to explore near Oban. We will have a trail dog with us so minimal road if possible.

Thanks

Jo

13thfloormonk

Oban’s a bit tricky, there IS good stuff there, for sure, and I’ve been away from more or less ten years so am sure I’m a bit out of touch, but the only good trails I’m still aware of are in Barcaldine Forest, specifically Sutherland’s Grove.

Your best bet for trails would be to speak to someone from the North Argyll Cycle Club (website but also on facebook). Some of those guys are actively involved in trail building and what I’ve seen of the stuff they’ve built is really excellent.

In truth, if the weather is decent, I’d be more tempted to take the road bikes and ride from Oban – Taynuilt – Dalavich – Kilmelford – Oban, but beware the punishing hills!

flowerpower
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply.

We would take road bikes, but have the dog with us this time 😕

After chatting last night (and replies from a local MTB club) it looks to be an area that maybe deserves more time for ‘exploring’ to find the best bits. I think that we will head south to Wanlockhead instead as it’s an area I know slightly better and would like to ride some more of.

Will think about Oban again another time, maybe take road bikes too and leave the dog at home.

Jo

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Oban – Route suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.