• This topic has 26 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by LeeW.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Oakleys, still the sunglasses de’jour?
  • darthpunk
    Free Member

That really, Oakleys still the choice for the overweight mid-forties man about town? The Arnettes I got seriously cheap about 5 years ago are a bit more scratched than I like and it’s time for an upgrade.

Not into the whole Iridium lens, look a bit like an X-men style, bit more low key than all that

schmiken

I like my Holbrooks.

CountZero

I’ve got a pair of Flak-Jacket 2.0’s, with Black Iridium lenses, and they’re fantastic, got them off eBay for £75, all black frames. Beauty with those is the range of lenses available, that are easily swapped.
    If the classic Rayban/Frogskins is more your thing, those are still available, although they have plastic hinges now, instead of metal, like my original 90’s Frogskins. Pricy now, at around £180, but there’s a similar style, customisable frame and lens colours, from SunGod, and I’m very tempted to get a pair. Number of pairs of sunglasses any person really needs = n+1…
    https://www.sungod.co/?msclkid=75416f92587f1430cb290ffaf6883ebf

jimdubleyou

Still wearing Oakleys day to day.

Bought some Alleycats for riding though, they are pretty good.

grum
    Free Member

Sungod are much better value IMO but Oakleys are still good.

hatter

Oakley are still big but 100% seem to be snapping at thier heels.

andylc
    Free Member

Not sure it makes much difference these days since Luxottica make pretty much every premium brand in the same factory and mark them all up a zillion percent.
    I’d still choose Oakley if I was buying new glasses but my 22 year old Oakley Juliets are a whole load better than anything they make now, and I just replace the lenses every few years.

petec
    Free Member

i personally quite like Julbo, with some of their reactive lenses

especially these ones

still made independently

oldtennisshoes

Oakley, Julbo and Bloc sunglasses here. But Smith snow goggles.

toemul
    Free Member

I’ve said it before on here, had a pair of sliver xl n broke one of the arms after 2 years, emailed em and they sent a prepaid envelope to send the arm to them so I did and they sent me a brand new pair of slivers I’ll probably stick with Oakley forever more after that bit of customer service.

martymac

I’m still rocking oakleys.
    I’m a 52yo fat man though, just in case you don’t want to be associated with that.
    They are fantastic for work though. (Coach driver)

garlando

Got various Oakleys. Think I’d try julbo if I was buying today.

teethgrinder

Got Radarlock Path for riding, with clear and Prizm Trail lenses. Love them.
    Also got Flak XLJ and Straightjackets from PSA’s on here, but they have aftermarket lenses now.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m still rocking oakleys.
    I’m a 52yo fat man though, just in case you don’t want to be associated with that.
    They are fantastic for work though. (Coach driver)

Are you me?

Finally killed 20 year old M Frames when I face planted in a crash. My eyes were fine though.

I have replaced with Radar, and Chainlinks for casual.

martymac

I still have a pair of M frames, and 2 pairs of radars. And 2 pairs of radarlock.
    And a pair of M2.
    It’s like an addiction.

allanoleary
    Free Member

Best riding glasses I have ever had were Tifosi Podium XC. Unfortunately I lost them and Evans don’t seem to stock them any more so no trying some on before replacing.

Edit: Just found them exact glasses on Amazon

Kuco

I’ve got Oakleys for everyday to day wear and some Flack Jackets transition prescription for biking and running. The Flack jackets were about £250 new about 5 years ago and could do with a new pair as they scratched to **** now but I’ve had my money’s worth out of them.

brads
    Free Member

I wear allsorts as everyday ones. Persol folding atm (Very Steve McQueen) But mostly Ray Ban aviators (Very top gun lol)

Jawbreakers are the best riding glasses bar none.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Flack Jackets transition prescription for biking and running

Slight thread hijack, sorry op.

@Kuco
    what’s the ventilation like when running, do they fog up much?

poolman
    Free Member

Yes Oakley after sale service via local indie optician is v good. My crosslinks with transition lenses got an imperfection on the lens, a small area wasn’t darkening in the sun, indie replaced them after 18 months. While doing that he noticed a tiny crack in the frame, got them replaced too. SO after 2 years of daily wear and not really looking after them both lenses and frame replaced foc.

I would deffo stay with the brand.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

The early Oakley were good and the warranty great. The later pair I owned broke at the hinge, basically poor design. By that time the lifetime warranty had become 10% off a different pair cos we don’t make those anymore. Never bought Oakley’s again and never will

Kuco

@PiknMix generally not too bad, notice it when I’m wearing a beanie if it’s cold. Unfortunately, my eyes are not suitable for contact lenses so I just put up with the fogging when it does happen.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Good to know thanks, I need some new running glasses.

Sorry again op.

burko73

I used to buy Oakley’s but got sick of scratched lenses despite looking after them. Found costas and ray bans with glass lenses better as they don’t scratch anywhere near as easily. Not good on the bike though.

I have some bikes flak 2.0s just for riding but they look a bit dorkey.

Just bought some goodr frog skin type glasses from merlin and they were only £24 or something like that and fit well, nice polarised lense and light and stylish. I did just head but a brick wall earlier (accidentally) with them on my head and scratch one lense a little though. They’re nice on the bike for days like today and. Will prob grab another pair.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Bought my first pair in the recent cotswold psa.

They are nice lenses but certainly not worth full price £175 !

Even at £75 I would say they are bordering on a ripoff.

Bloc make just as good for £40-£70

Albanach
    Free Member

Oakley Holbrook Metal here and I really like them although and Oakley customer service in my experience is outstanding. Scratched lenses within warranty have been replaced. I’ve also had Bolle glasses and these were excellent too but they fell out of my car door dooket somewhere and I lost them.

Where is the best place to buy frames only?

LeeW

Always used to wear Oakleys, right from the early 90s when I first started racing. Then I copped a couple of pairs of Rudy Project for half price, replaceable transition lenses, lightweight frames and mouldable arms for fitting around helmet adjustable fit frames.

Still wear Oakleys as casual glasses, but I got those cheap in the US about 8 years ago.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Oakleys, still the sunglasses de’jour?’ is closed to new replies.