Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Oakley suggestions
  • one_bad_mofo

I’ve got a few quid to spare and I’ve decided it’s time to upgrade my old Oakley M Frames. I like the look of the Jawbreakers but I’m wondering what people’s real-life experiences with them are? Should I be looking at other options and if so what?

The only proviso is that I want to be able to change the lens depending on the time of year/weather conditions, just like I can with my old M Frames.

molgrips
    Free Member

My advice is that it depends entirely on your face.

I’ve got Jawbreakers, they look like a good follow-on from M-Frames but they have the same issues I had with M Frames which is when riding into the sun you get your own face reflected in them. Not a big problem but it’s there. I think this is a consequence of shades which have the lens further from your face. Flak Jackets and Jawbones never did this for me. Jawbreakers are also heavier. They are very good though and the adjustable arms are great.ta

However I think the true successor is Radars which I haven’t bought and every time I get Oakleys I wish I’d got them. But they weren’t on sale when I bought so.. maybe that’s why!

snotrag

I got the Radar Advancers in the half price sale PSA’d on here a few months back – really like them – the ‘advancer’ thing means they have a little adjustment on the nose piece, you click it forward and it pushes the frame a few mm forward off your brow. It really does help, I’m a sweaty rider and this stops them fogging up really nicely.

I dont use them on my MTB yet, I’m waiting till theres a cheap knock-off clear lense available, I only use cheap clear ones for MTB and save the fancy polarised Prizm road lense for where it stays clean. I’d cry if I scraped a dollop of mud of it and ruined it.

They fit under my helmet well too.

plus-one

Love my jawbreakers !! I’ve got few pairs of oakleys and a bit of a fanboi. I fancied a change as Oakley prices are insane now 🙁

I got a pair of sungod glasses they are brill. Uk based custom and speedy delivery.

Got these and excellent so far

https://www.sungod.co/en-gb/shop/sunglasses/airas?id=airas-af_Mblack-an_Mblack-ale_8gold-ai_Bgold-aes_Rblack

martymac

As above, it’s all about the fit.
    Radars are pretty much perfect for me.
    YFMV

Tracey

I’ve got a few pairs of Jawbreakers for riding in, one at home, one in the van and one in the camper, mainly so I don’t forget them. Been using them for a few years after riding with M frames before them.
    Fit my face OK and don’t move what ever I’m riding, only ever bought them when they have been on offer.

razorrazoo

I have Jawbreakers, use them on the road only.  Have photochromic lenses and don’t get any reflection. I also like that you can adjust the arms, which was great with my old Kask helmet which was really bad for catching arms.

jimdubleyou

If you want to get away from Oakleys, I’ve a pair of Melon Optics Alleycats.

Good size, work with road or MTB helmets.

Follow them on face ache, they have the occasional “extra lens for almost nowt” bargain deals

FuzzyWuzzy

Not a fan of the bottom lens frame on Jawbreakers – isn’t it distracting when looking down quickly when riding? That said I do have a scar on my cheek where the bottom of a Radar Path lens embedded itself following a faceplant so I guess the bottom frame might serve a purpose :p

oikeith

I’ve had some Foakley Jawbreakers with legit lenses for years and like them, recently picked up the prizm trail lense and it works really well and isnt just hype.

I do find that because I am a sweaty monster, on hot days I need to wear goggles as my sweat will drop down from my helmet to the inside of the lense, on colder days like at the moment, I will descend in them, but when winching up I will pop them into a goggle bag as on my helmet they will condensate from the heat I emit. I would have these issue with any glasses I think.

lunge

Jawbones are the perfect riding glasses for me, it’s just a shame they don’t make them anymore unless you’re name is Geraint Thomas and you have won the Tour de France.
    If you can find them second hand then snap them up.

BillOddie

@lunge

They started making Jawbones again recently, except they changed the name to Racing Jackets a while back.

https://www.oakley.com/en-gb/product/W0OO9171?variant=888392564450

If you want a newer Jawbone-esque style which is also cheaper try the Plazma

https://www.oakley.com/en-gb/product/W0OO9019?variant=888392555939

one_bad_mofo

Cheers all. Next time I’m in London and near Covent Garden, I’ll drop into the Oakley store and try a few styles.

lunge

Damn, no white Racing Jackets. Shame that.

igm

Damn, no white Racing Jackets. Shame that.

Pro only model.

Personally I’m loving my Flak 2 prescription photochromic.
    Why change the lens if you don’t have to?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got an old set of Jawbones with Revant lenses and some scuffs that I don’t mind parting with.

Oakley prices are insane now

Yes, but at least there are discounts which there never used to be.

eskay

Love my jawbreakers with photochromatic lenses, I wear them all year round.

brads
    Free Member

Jawbreakers with Trail or road prizm.

Best I’ve ever used.

treyster1
    Free Member

Jawbreakers are great. The only downside is a design flaw. The metal clip that attachs the nose piece to the top of the frame can corrode. It’s made from a lightweight coated metal. If the paint gets scratched then the clip will start to corrode. Oakley don’t offer or even sell replacements so if your frame is out of warranty and the clip fails, you’ll have to ditch ‘em. I’ve recently tried to get a replacement from a flagship Oakley store in Covent Garden, London, and they suggested eBay. Avoid jawbreakers if you sweat a lot! 😀

treyster1
    Free Member

Try in store and get them cheaper online. There’s a great Oakley dealer in Norwich 10 80 who have real world prices across all Oakley’s range

Merak

I’ve got original Jawbones and Sutro Eyeshades for sale if anyone is interested.😊

MoreCashThanDash

I prefer Radars, but very much depends on how they fit and feel.

Merak

I have a pair of them for sale too.

nickc

I’m not normally one for “How Much?” but £230 for a pair of sunglasses is, by any measure, utterly insane.

What a time to be alive

gingerflash

I went from M-frames to Radarlocks. I found they sat a little too low, i was often looking over the top or at the upper frame when riding in the drops on the road bike.
    I then switched to Radar EVs which sit higher. Totally happy with them now.
    The Prizm trail lens is excellent for mountain biking (I use the original blue/purple one, not the torch reddish one).

treyster1
    Free Member

Pays your money and takes your choice. Fortunately the market is over saturated with Oakley’s so can always find them reduced or on sale you only pay too dollar for the new lines. Many of the premium lines can be found for around, and below, £100 literally cheaper than eBay!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Oakley suggestions’ is closed to new replies.