Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Oakley Prizm Trail vs Transitions Lenses
  • BillOddie

Apologies in advance for another eyewear thread…

About to order new prescription riding glasses and I’m in a lens tint quandry.

Do I get Prizm Trail lenses? They sound (and based on the pair I looked through on a overcast day at Sherwood Pines) look amazing but might be a bit limited in the darkest 10% and brightest 10% of conditions.

Or…do I get Transitions lenses like last time? Which to be fair were good in a didn’t notice them changing way.  I think the transitions coating is quite fragile though.

Anyone used both?

jimdubleyou

Non-prescription…

Never had proper Transitions, but I have had photochromic lenses. I find the Prizm trail far superior most of the time.

The photochromic lenses always seemed too dark when you’re in & out of the trees. Occasionally prizms are not up to the job of very bright conditions, but it’s rare.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ve both, and regularly use both in prescription oakleys.

The prism trail are very good in all but the dingiest conditions, even then they’re fine in the open or in the trees but not good for zipping in and out of trees when it’s “dark”.I wear mine through the winter (unless it’s really horrid in which case I’m probably wearing goggles and contact lenses any how)

The Transitions are on the other hand great for rides in and out of cover on darker days and what I default to on road where I appreciate the clear (or low light yellow on one set) due to the unpredictable UK weather and even less predictable drivers and use of headlights. The transition lenses won’t be much better in really bright than the trails, you need proper “dark glasses” for that.

If I had to choose between the two, solely for mtb it’d be the trails by a long way.
    If I’d be using them on road more than say 20% of the time, I’d go for the transition in yellow grey.

leythervegas
    Free Member

I am lucky enough to have both as I work in an opticians. The transitions are just as scratch resistant as prizm trail and great for a do it all lens all year round so I use them mostly on road rides and commuting. The prizm trail I tend to use in the summer though and find them better when on forest trails as transitions don’t react that quickly especially from dark to light so aren’t always in the correct tint for where you are. If that makes any sense! I have never found the prizm lens to be too light or dark though but I suppose its each to their own.

bluebird
    Free Member

I have a pair of Oakley Prizm lenses (not prescription though). On the mountain bike teamed with a peaked helmet I’ve yet to find any conditions too bright or too dark. I took them off once riding in trees at dusk, but any other glasses would’ve been too dark then too. I’m not sure I’d want to ride for hours on the road in bright sunshine, but on the mountain bike they’ve been excellent.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have both and I like the Prizm Trail a lot but for one lens to rule them all I would have to choose Transitions.  Oakley’s photochromic lens is usable through dusk and into darkness if necessary.  (though if you are looking at some other photochromic lens it may not go light enough so check the range).  If you don’t care about that or have a clear lens for those occasions I’d go Prizm Trail

honourablegeorge

Anyone tried Prizm Low Light?

I’d have thought they were the ones for dingy forest conditions

fathomer

@BillOddie I think your pretty local to me, I have a set on non prescription Prizm Trail glasses that I could lend you for a day or two if you want. Obviously you’d need to be wearing contacts 🙂

stevious

Non prescription here.

Prizm Trail – I’ve used a wee bit (they belong to my wife) and they’re great in everything other than MEGA BRIGHT or MEGA DARK conditions. Even in those conditions they’re pretty good.

Transitions – I use these a lot in crappy weather or at night. They’re OK when it’s sunny too, but not great for a long road ride on a bluebird day.

Id say if your riding conditions tend to be more dark then the transitions would be ideal, whereas I’d go for the Prizms if your conditions are a bit lighter.

If you’re not sure, just get whichever ones you think look cooler.

Superficial
    Free Member

If you’re not sure, just get whichever ones you think look cooler.

That’s really a contest though, is it? The Transition ones make you look like a man with an unhealthy fascination with pre-pubescent boys.

Source: I own the Transition lenses

Rubber_Buccaneer

Er, do either look cool?  Transitions have the sex pest look as stated above and the Prizms are a bit ‘knob end Bono’ looking in my unfashionable opinion

Edit: and my experience of both is in Jawbreakers so looking cool is obviously something I’ve totally given up on 🙂

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

That’s really a contest though, is it? The Transition ones make you look like a man with an unhealthy fascination with pre-pubescent boys.

Source: I own the Transition lenses

Your statement reads a bit “I like pre-pubescent boys, and you’ll look like me” but I’m not sure that’s the line you were going for.

Any how, the point here is don’t get Transitions in frames aimed solely at dark lenses, also don’t get Transitions which aren’t almost clear indoors*. Eg (I think) they look OK in my flack jackets, because they look OK with clear lenses. OTOH my jawbons/racing jackets would look abominable with Transitions (and clear lenses for that matter)

BillOddie

My current riding glasses are Jawbones with transitions lenses!  To be fair unless it’s night time they go darkish as soon as you go outside.  So the Peter File (IT crowd reference there) issues are minimal.

To be honest I’m erring toward the prizms as a change might be as good.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have both, non prescription. Trail and Road Prizm in my Radar EVs and Black/Persimmon in Flak Jacket XLJs.

I rarely use the Flaks any more, even though the lens is astonishingly good.

Clear EV lenses for really bad weather or night, though.

motard5
    Free Member

Is there an Oakley thin and minimal frame designs like the EVZero or Sutro that can swap lens? I would like a Prism Trail for most everything, then the ability to swap for clear when night riding.
    I just can’t get on with the bulkiness of the Flight Jacket and Radars…their thick temples and frames don’t get well under helmets. 100% and Smith have some options, but I’d like to stick with Oakley if I can.

mtbfix

I have some grey transitions prescription lenses in FieldJackets. They are great on the road and in the open but are an absolute bust in woodland. Too dark and too slow to shift. I’d not have that lens colour again albeit they are fine for 75% of my mileage.

csb

I have prescription oakley black-clear transitions. Terrible for fast changing light (bright conditions to forest shade) but lovely in steady conditions and at dusk. Play sport under floodlights in them and the 5% block they retain at clear, and the anti glare on the inside of tbe lens, is lovely.

ta11pau1

Oh god, reading these forums is bad for the wallet.

Currently got a pair of Oakley half jackets with the iridium lenses that must be at least 13 years old and are still almost perfect, however for proper bright and contrasty conditions they’re not great when going from light-dark-light etc.

Then for muddy, gloomy conditions I use my cheap alpkit glasses with yellow lenses which makes everything much brighter and enhances colours loads.

Just how good are these trail prizm lenses? And how scratch resistant? I’ve been sort of looking at a new pair of glasses for a while now. You’ve got me looking at a pair of jawbreakers now…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Oakley Prizm Trail vs Transitions Lenses’ is closed to new replies.