Oakley Prizm question

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Oakley Prizm question
  • Premier Icon Bushwacked
    Subscriber

It’s my birthday today and my darling wife surprised me with some new riding glasses – Oakley Flak 2.0 XL. I do like them.

However the lenses they come with are the Prizm 24k Polarized, I’ve tried to navigate the Oakley website to learn more and all I can find is these seem to be better suited to bright light.

I’ve been having a scan through the forum posts including this one to info on Prizm lenses and there seems to be a lot of praise for the Prizm trail lenses https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/oakley-prizm-trail-worth-it”

I do like the idea of the Prizm Trails – so I’m tempted to send them back to get these instead (#ungratefulhusband) but before I do I wanted to see if anyone knows whether these lenses are actually worth keeping and using for riding? My thoughts are that if I’m riding in the open on sunny days maybe, but most of my riding is in the woods on british days (i.e. ranging from sunny to cloudy and overcast and mostly the latter) so perhaps not.

Thoughts?

Premier Icon Squirrel
    Subscriber

I have the Prism Trail lenses and think they are brilliant for the type of riding you described.

Premier Icon benp1
    Subscriber

I’d wear my prizm trail for that, I can’t explain how they work, they just do. If I’m bikepacking with them I switch clear lenses out at night, but any riding in the day is with the prizm trail lenses

Premier Icon mattbee
    Subscriber

Just buy a second set of lenses for them. I’ve got transitions, black iridium and prizm trail lenses for my Flak 2.0, covers any eventuality really.

MSP

Agreed, buy some more lenses. prizm trail lenses let a lot of light through, great for on the mtb or trail running, but I prefer more light block in other situations, or clear lenses in the winter months.

Premier Icon Bushwacked
    Subscriber

Oooh, replacement lenses. Great idea.

CountZero

Number of different replaceable Oakley lenses needed = n+1.
    You’ve got a great pair of frames and lenses, use it as a foundation to build on.
    😉

Premier Icon Bushwacked
    Subscriber

Prizm Trail lenses purchased 🙂

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

Cool. Prizm Trail are great under tree cover etc. They also make really good road riding lenses for duller days and forested regions etc if you’re that way inclined.

Slight hijack: Has anyone used any of the Prizm goggle lenses? I’m looking for a non-clear lens for the Alps this summer – something that will cope with bright sunshine but won’t be too dark in the trees?

They don’t do the Prizm trail in a goggle lens unfortunately but Oakley do (did) do some older versions. I’m currently looking at the Jade Irridium, based on the guide here: https://www.evo.com/guides/oakley-goggle-lens-tint-color

Anyone got any experience of the Prizm goggle lenses? Ta.

(Also merry bday!)

Premier Icon joat
    Subscriber

Happy birthday! Presents that help you justify buying more stuff are great aren’t they. I have both road and trail, just need clear and low-light now.

Premier Icon BillOddie
    Subscriber

I was in a similar conundrum recently and ended up with Prizm Trail lenses.

They have been great for all the riding i have done since May, i.e. Sun, over cast, in the trees and out, on and off road.  I do have some old well worn transitions lenses too that I will probably use if it’s truly gloomy/dark.

Premier Icon Bushwacked
    Subscriber

Cheers Joat – they are the best types of present 😉

MSP

Slight hijack: Has anyone used any of the Prizm goggle lenses? I’m looking for a non-clear lens for the Alps this summer – something that will cope with bright sunshine but won’t be too dark in the trees?

They don’t do the Prizm trail in a goggle lens unfortunately but Oakley do (did) do some older versions. I’m currently looking at the Jade Irridium, based on the guide here: https://www.evo.com/guides/oakley-goggle-lens-tint-color

Anyone got any experience of the Prizm goggle lenses? Ta.

For goggles lenses, I would be looking at the vr28 for MTBing gong from sun to tree cover or even Persimmon, rather than the current prism lenses they offer. The POC clarity goggles may even be a better option if you are looking for a new set off goggles rather than just new lenses, although they are a bit spendy.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Agreed, buy some more lenses. prizm trail lenses let a lot of light through, great for on the mtb or trail running, but I prefer more light block in other situations, or clear lenses in the winter months.

This

Prizm Trail are great under tree cover etc. They also make really good road riding lenses for duller days and forested regions etc if you’re that way inclined.

And this.

I really rate the Prizm Trails for MTBing and winter road riding, but like something a bit darker for road riding.

Houns

No good for you OHH but I want to try the Prizm Snow Black Iridium to see how dark it is.

Premier Icon meandyuk
    Subscriber

Are Oakley lenses difficult to change? Looking at nabbing a pair of the Radar EV’s

muddyfool

Are Oakley lenses difficult to change? Looking at nabbing a pair of the Radar EV’s

They’re really easy to change on the Radar EV – just pop them out and replace, takes about 30 seconds at most.

Premier Icon meandyuk
    Subscriber

Great thanks – have ordered some Prism Trails too 🙂

Premier Icon timmys
    Subscriber

Where are you finding the best prices for replacement lenses? (Racing Jackets aka. Jawbones in my case)?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.