• This topic has 34 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by eskay.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Oakley Jawbreaker – how good are they?
  • ta11pau1

I currently use a pair of Oakley half jacket sunglasses for riding (when it’s non-murky conditions) which I bought in around 2006/2007, so they’re about 13-14 years old. You wouldn’t know it.

Same as these but with mirror fire iridium lenses.

Love these, but they’re lacking for mtb – stop for more than a second and they fog up (normally just one eye strangely…), and then once I’m above 20-25mph with any chill in the air (basically below 15 degrees), my eyes start watering up. So they’re great for anything between 2-20mph. Oh and they’re not great when it’s proper bright out and the dark patches in the woods end up looking pitch black…

Other than that, they’re great! 😁

To replace them I’m looking at a pair of Oakley jawbreaker prizm trail torch. As you can tell, I keep my glasses for a long time. Am I going to get much improved venting (I know they’ll still steam up when not moving at all) and better wind protection? It’s kinda hard to test these two things while stood in a shop trying them on…

Also, anyone seen any decent deals on the trail torch models?

eskay

Can’t comment on comparisons but I bought some from here a few weeks ago:

https://www.cyclesurgery.com/lister.html?q=Jawbreaker

jimdubleyou

It’s kinda hard to test these two things while stood in a shop trying them on…

Get the shop assistant to direct a fan in your face 🙂

I’ve got some Prizm lenses. They are pretty good.

ta11pau1

Yeah cyclesurgery seem the best deal at £105, wiggle at £110 too.

Tracey

Been using them for a couple of years and apart from crashing and scratching a lens I cant fault them

daern
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of the Cavendish limited edition ones and absolutely love them. I wouldn’t say they are the most stylish bins out there, but when you have them on you just forget about it and the big lenses really help with vision. My MTB glasses, which I’ve had for years without issue, now annoy me because the lenses are too small!

I bought a spare, yellow lens from China to use at night / winter and would recommend something similar. It’s meant that they are more versatile and as I always use the yellow lens when the conditions are crap, it’s help to keep the original Prizm lens in mint condition. I keep thinking about getting an official photochromatic lens though…

sailor74
    Free Member

i have the prism trail lens that is starting to wear after a number of years, i will be buying a replacement lens though which is a benefit of the jawbreaker in so much as lenses are interchangeable.
    Prism Trail lens and a clear lens for night/winter covers all you will ever need. they are very adjustable and large enough that the frame doesnt cut down on your vision. they will fog up when its very cold but i havent come across any glasses that dont. having said that they are vented enough that they clear quickly once on the move.

ta11pau1

Awesome, yeah I’m not expecting them to defy physics and not fog up when I’m not moving but it would be nice to have a lens not be fogged for the first 30m of a trail, riding with one eye closed tends to make things tricky!

I use yellow lenses on a cheap pair of alpkit glasses when it’s proper murky out, really brightens everything up, since fitting a proper front mudguard I don’t have to worry about getting mud on my glasses so I’d get a low light lens for the jawbreaker too.

ads678

Love mine. Excellent riding gigs.

Venting is great, they do still fog a bit when you’re really sweaty and stop but they clear as soon as you start moving. I’ve got prism trail and road lenses and both are good.

fathomer

I really like mine as well, enough that I immediately bought a new pair after leaving the originals on the summit of Nan Beild.

Prizm Tail year round in the day light for mtb, a clear set of lenses for night riding and a set of Prizm Road for, well road riding!

weatheredwannabe
    Free Member

I got a cheep China rip off version, lost it after 3 weeks of use, which is why I will buy another cheep Chinese version.

benw
    Free Member

The prizm low light lens is great,better than clear even at night

plus-one

My fave oakleys ever !!

martymac

I wear radars, have had the same pair since 2014.
    Jade iridium lens, good for driving too.
    Worn most days at work, thoroughly recommended.
    I also have another pair with the photochromic lens, they are superb, you just don’t notice them changing at all. (Unless you’re out in full sunlight with lots of snow, you notice it then)

eskay

The jawbreakers I bought from the link above were the photochromatic version, really pleased with them but they don’t seem to have them in stock now (they were £125 in the sale)

elwoodblues
    Free Member

Great lenses, but they absolutely did not fit my face at all. They were awful, kept hitting my cheeks, and the temples could never be positined correctly. Bought a pair of Rudy Projects instead.

My advise would be to try before you buy, they seem to be pretty hit and miss with my riding buddies… Either you love them, or they will wear holes in the skin behind your ears.

ads678

You can change the length of the arms so they fit different size heads.

Kryton57

This thread reminded me that I needed some replacement lenses so as a minor PSA bike-discount.de are selling Prizm trail lenses for £51.

corroded
    Free Member

Are prescription lenses available for Jawbreakers?

elwoodblues
    Free Member

I know you can adjust the temples… Lots of trial and error, still did not manage to get them to fit.

BillOddie

Are prescription lenses available for Jawbreakers?

Yes, but in limited colours (black irid, grey and clear) due to being an implant lens rather than direct glaze.

Had they done Prizm trail even with implant lens I would have got a pair as they fit my face really well.  I ended up with another pair of Racing Jackets in the end with Prizm Trail lenses which are literally magic.

oikeith

I have the knock offs which are basically the same, really good glasses IMO, if my fakes had last 2 weeks instead of 2 year I would have gone legit and dropped the cash.

I picked them up as I suffer from teary eyes in colder weathers and dislike getting flies in my eyes in the summer. The only time I dont use them is when the temp drops close to zero and I use goggles as the colder air triggers my eyes.

ads678

I know you can adjust the temples… Lots of trial and error, still did not manage to get them to fit

Was more just a reminder to the op that they are adjustable. Wasn’t knocking your comment, try before you buy is always the best, but not always the best price…..

ta11pau1

Got a delivery today, thought a pic comparing to my old half jackets was in order:

The half jackets aren’t exactly ‘subtle’ but these are another level! They are massive, should provide loads of extra protection. I’ll be able to give them a test at the weekend. They seem to fit pretty well.

ta11pau1

So as a close to this thread and the original question:

Good. Very, very good.

Tested them out today in typical murky/overcast/misty conditions, I’d normally wear yellow lenses to brighten things up so wasn’t sure how the prizm trail torch would cope – it not only brighten everything up, giving it a ‘through rose tinted spectacles’ feel (literally!), it also mnanaged to cut down on the light, cue me being very slightly blinded when taking them off at the end of the ride. Zero issues seeing every single wet sniper root, and no issues with streaming eyes despite it being no more than 2-3 degrees for the whole ride. They fogged up only when stopped for more than a minute, and the tiniest bit of airflow cleared them straight away.

Bloody brilliant!

I’ll be buying a set of Prizm low light lenses at some point.

I also tested out a new set of kneepads today, IXS Carve evo+ – much much burlier than my fox launch pads, and yet mega comfy, forgot I had them on most of the day! No slipping issues either, didn’t haveto adjust them at all. A good day for kit overall!

nickc

Did you have any issues with helmet fit? Did the arms feel OK? Did the top of the glasses frame knock on the rim of the helmet at all? Slip of your nose?

ta11pau1

Nope, no issues whatsoever – I sweat a fair bit, zero slippage, and no helmet/face rubbing.

Arms are extended to thier longest (3rd notch) and they were nice and comfy too.

razorrazoo

I concur with the above. Recently got a set with the photochromic lenses. The adjustable arms are a real boon for use with my kask road helmets where the cradle tends to catch long arms. No problems with glasses catching the helmet and zero fogging. May also pick up a prism lens at some point.

nickc

Thanks, was looking at something like this (or field jackets) for the extended coverage but worried about the size of them interfering with my helmet (ooh-err, etc etc)

I’ve a Bell sixer and the cradle is noticeably lower than lots of other helmets that interferes to a greater or lesser degree to all my riding glasses, v frustrating

ads678

Mine fit nicely with my Planet X road helet and a TLD A1 mtb helmet, but my MET Roam does touch a bit at the top. It has a ver square area around the forehead and a size large might be fine but my medium does interfere a bit. Bit of fiddling sirts it but its not perfect.

Although this review reckons they do fit, maybe I’m doing it wrong….

https://www.ambmag.com.au/feature/tested-met-roam-helmet-518190

andrewreay

Dumb question (and apologies for a bit of a hijack…)

How easy is it to change the lenses in these?

From posts above, it seems to be something people do on a regular basis i.e. today it’s sunny so I’ll put the dark ones in. Tomorrow rainy, so swap them back etc. Is that right?

Are they fit and forget, or can you change them over easily daily?

ta11pau1

Dead easy, the nose piece flips up which releases the clip at the top, and the bottom frame.

andrewreay

Thanks. that’s really cool!

kingofthetoys

If anyone else is as skint as I am at the moment then I recommend getting a pair of these…

Polarised Sports Sunglasses with 5 Interchangeable lenses – Black / Green

Absolute bargain, decent quality and came within two days. Ok the lense technology might not be up to Oakley standard but for £12.50 they’re bang on!

eskay

I can second what @razorrazoo says, I recently got the photochromatic version and they are great. I was out riding yesterday and looked in a window as I passed and was surprised how dark the glasses were because to look through they felt the same as when I had started (clear)

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Oakley Jawbreaker – how good are they?’ is closed to new replies.