Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Oakley Jawbone- being discontinued?
  • mefster
    Free Member

After my recent ski trip, my old Oakley Eye Jackets emerged from my rucksack as a bag of loose bits: my fault for forgetting to put them in their hard case in my rucksack.

I need to replace these glasses and thought I’d use it as an excuse to get some Jawbones that I could use on the bike as well. I had found them on line for £135, but they’re on back order for 2 weeks and I need to get some for a ski trip in a weeks time.

I phoned the Oakley Outlet at Cheshire Oaks to see what they had in stock. They informed me that the Jawbones were being discontinued, as a new Racing Jacket with a similar hinged frame design was being released in the next couple of weeks.

Has anyone else heard about Jawbones being discontinued? I need to buy some glasses in the next week, but don’t want to fork out full price on an end-of-line, only to find that they’re reduced everywhere in the coming months!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Wouldn’t that make it one of the shortest lived models ever? I quite like mine so I hope this isn’t the case.

steezysix
    Free Member

Pretty sure they’re just re-naming it. Look familiar?

jimc101
    Free Member

Being as the M Frame is still around 20ish years after it’s intro, doubt the Jawbone will be going anywhere soon.

Oakley don’t seem to discontinue too may sports specific designs, they don’t really have many designs out there, M Frames, Radar & 5 differnet Jacket version as well as the Jawbones.

For your broken O’s have your tried contacting Oakley UK for an out of warranty damage replacement, they will often do a good discount when you return the broken one to them?

mefster
    Free Member

Pretty sure they’re just re-naming it

That would explain it. Like the Mumbo to M-frame change.

I wonder if there will be any design ‘tweaks’? And will we see any bargain Jawbone-branded glasses in the coming weeks? I’m after sourcing some white frames with the violet iridium/light grey lenses. Has anyone seen a bargain?

mefster
    Free Member

Looking at the Fast Jackets, they seem to be slightly different, with a gasket around the lenses to stop airflow over the eye at high speed and a retaining strap around the back of the head. Designed for motorcyclists.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Those Ducati ones are motor bike specific,as there’s a membrane behind them,to fit to your face,that’s why there’s an elastic strap too do they don’t blow off @ speed,they’d work on an Mtb ok like !.

steezysix
    Free Member

I doubt you’ll see any cheap Jawbones being sold off – as far as I know, it’s still Oakley’s policy to recall and destroy any old stock rather than allow discounts. Don’t want to de-value the brand and all that…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

*Houns to the forum please*

Houns

Right, are you sat comfortably?

Jawbones aren’t being discontinued. Jawbones were originally going to be called racing jackets (yep they are the new version of the original racing jackets). Due to a Bluetooth ear piece company in the states getting stroppy about the name “jawbone” (apparently they have the trademark on this) Oakley are having to revert back to calling it the racing jacket.
    Alongside this name change they are also updating the frame a little so you can customise it even more and also be able to fit the foam bits like wot you can do on the wind jacket.

We will also be seeing the half jacket 2 and the new Radar switch lock

There will be plenty of special editions for the Olympics which I must say from what I have seen, look great

Hth

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Houns – Member
    There will be plenty of special editions for the Olympics which I must say from what I have seen, look great

So they are minging then…

We’ve all seen you “taste” in these… 😯

Houns

See not much of a change

Houns

Right! I was going to show you the SA ones but you can :finger: 😉

Houns

New Radar Lock

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Good outlet in Portsmouth if you can get them to post stuff to you.

Houns

If only they had a website you can order on

http://www.eyewearoutlet.co.uk/

;0)

rkk01
    Free Member

Quite taken with the Fast Jackets. Not so sure about the price though!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Houns – Member
    Right! I was going to show you the SA ones but you can :finger: 😉

:dw:

Houns

:mrgreen:

mefster
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies and Houns- thanks for the explaination- it all makes sense now.

Looking at the image of the new racing jacket/jawbone it does look pretty similar. I’m not too fussed about the option to add the eye gasket bits. I think I’ll go ahead and order the ones that are available now.

I’m opting for the white frame with violet iridium/light grey lenses. It’s a shame that they come with the light grey- can’t really see when I’ll use those. I may get some clear to dark transitions for winter/night riding.

neninja
    Free Member

As well as getting a new pair I’d also consider getting the frame on your old ones replaced. Oakley do an excellent repair/replace service on broken eye wear for a very reasonable price.

mefster
    Free Member

As well as getting a new pair I’d also consider getting the frame on your old ones replaced. Oakley do an excellent repair/replace service on broken eye wear for a very reasonable price.

I’d heard lots of good thinks about Oakley’s repair service. When I checked online it seemed to indicate that rather than repairing they would offer a small discount from RRP on new glasses. I assume that this process take more than a week.

I’ve got 2 pairs of original Frogskins with broken frames/arms. I’m guessing they can do nothing with those!

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve just sent back some Radars with bad finish, the implication from the website is that you can retrospectively buy their ‘extra cover’ for between £16 and £59 (IIRC) and they’ll replace the frames.

Edit: here

mefster
    Free Member

Just received my white/violet Jawbones courtesy of vision3k.com: very good price and excellent service. After a week of chasing emails and calls it was nice to have a company return my call first thing and deliver next day. Very pleased with the glasses btw.

I did call Oakley regarding possible repair. As they’re and old model straight jacket the frame amt be replaced, although they did offer a 40% discount off new glasses.

Houns
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Oakley Jawbone- being discontinued?’ is closed to new replies.