Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • O-o mary bars or similar
  • Tom83

After seeing a chiropractor yesterday and being told I have twisted hips and spine (fun!) he reckons I should be ok to carry on riding, but said to try and get a more upright riding position would be a good idea. My stem is currently 60mm, so I could go a bit shorter, but was wondering if the mary bars or similar would sit me up further?

If any owners or similar could share their experiances with them please!

Tom

wwaswas

Might be better off getting a higher rise stem – Marys tend to keep your hands roughly where they were but just angled differently.

IHN

After seeing a chiropractor yesterday and being told I have twisted hips and spine

Isn’t that what they tell everyone?

ourmaninthenorth

Isn’t that what they tell everyone?

Before then telling you it’ll be six treatments at £70 each.

scud
    Free Member

I’ve suffered back pain for years and have tried a number of solutions, a few chiropractors i found where rubbisn, but my current one has been brilliant.

I would say main thing is to make sure that the bike is set up correctly and that your back is flat when you ride and bars are high enough that you are not placing to much pressure on hands/ wrists.

The main thing though if you are having problems is too build up core strength, i got my chiropractor and a physio before them to show me some simple lower back stretches and strength building exercises (and a Pilates for Cyclists DVD that i do in private!) and I must admit that I have gone from regular treatment and pain on most rides, to going months without back pain.

If you are stuck at a desk for a long time, or have a job that takes it’s toll on your back, make sure your posture is good, desk it set up right etc, no good starting a ride with a spine that is mullered from hours at desk, and where the core muscles are already tense.

Tom83

Cheers Wwaswas & Scud.

Scud, yeah i do a lot of lifting at my work (tile retailer). He’s given my some stretches to do, as my hamstrings are very tight, which was part of the problem!

Really hoping to sort my back out so i can go for a ride and not have to worry about the pain after. In fact just waking up and not being in pain would be nice too!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘O-o mary bars or similar’ is closed to new replies.