Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Nye musing, Rallon or S150?
  • Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Not quite as cut and dried as the title bit pretty much.

Mrs Weeksy is out for Nye with our friends, I’m home alone due to lurgy, so topping up the pills with Hobgoblin Gold and we know how that goes.

So, debating either a 2018 Rallon
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORBEA-RALLON-650B-27-5-SIZE-MEDIUM-2018/264580161090?hash=item3d9a34de42:g:ynIAAOSwbY5eBjOf

Or a 2019 S150
    https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/484313/s/whyte-s-150-s-29er-2018-bike/category/12527/

Mostly thinking ‘bit more bounce would be nice’

Need to check on length/sizing on the Orbea along with a few other little bits.

But thoughts appreciated

GolfChick

Would recommend trying the rallon as the sizing on them is bizarre considering the huge height range that the small/medium is supposed to fit. Generally people size up on them.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Mmmm indeed, a few old threads on here imply the Fallon in a medium is likely to be too small.

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Subscriber

I wouldn’t buy a bike from a guy who CAN’T FIND HIS PEDALS

devash

Cracking price on that Whyte.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orbea-Rallon-x30-2017-18-Full-suspension-mountain-bike-Excellent-Mint-L/202863155302?hash=item2f3b961866:g:FgIAAOSwGQRdd3ti

There’s always this Rallon in a large.

Thoughts on how they pedal on a longish day out appreciated? I get that 160mm won’t xc quite as well a the t130 of course, but how bad. Hmmmm

Rallon is a great climbing bike considering the travel and capability it has.

Premier Icon julians
    Subscriber

I’ve got the same rallon as that (well actually its a year or two older year, so the yellow frame and not boost back end), they’re a decent bike, pedal well and descend very well.

I’m selling the frame if anyone’s interested, it’s a size medium, with a works components -1.5 deg slackset, bottom bracket, seat clamp, and spare mech hanger, with the bos kirk shock and bolt thru rear end. All in perfect working order, but the frame has a few paint chips, and there’s a dent on the down tube, it’s been there for years, and hasn’t developed any further than the dent, looking for £350 for it.

Premier Icon julians
    Subscriber

Actually if required I’ve got the whole bike aside from the brakes and forks as I sold those separately.

So thats

-frame with bos kirk shock as described above
    -rockshox reverb 125mm stealth dropper
    -shimano xtr cranks
    -shimano xtr 11 speed mech and shifter
    -sram x01 10-42 cassette
    -front wheel, superstar carbon rim on tesla hub, with 200mm shimano brake rotir
    -rear wheel, stans flow mark 2 rim on tesla hub with 180mm shimano brake rotor.
    -raceface stem
    -renthal fat bar lite carbon bars(780mm I think)

If anyone wants any/all of the above, make me an offer.

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

Or you could make Alex off here an offer for his carbon Occam AM (150mm travel) (He was hinting he’d have to sell it on after getting a Ripley) . Perfect combination of pedally and burly, IMO.

New Bike Day – A pictorial journey 😉

Premier Icon tommyo
    Subscriber

I would not buy a rallon without sitting on one at least. The sizing is bizarre, I’m 5ft 10 with short legs and the large I tested seemed very small for me. I wondered if it was just the new geometry of modern bikes as I was coming from a 26 inch Turner 5spot, but I went away, test rode a Bird AM9 in m/l and bought one as it felt just right. No regrets not getting the rallon..

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

I bought my rallon (yellow version 2015?) blind, Medium fits me fine, however the newer version I tried I a Large suits me better.

I really like the current set up I have on my Rallon, the recent Coil shock just makes it so much better.

cokie

I’ve got a Medium S150 frame, Reverb, headset & brakes for sale if you’re interested?
    I can drop it round if you want. PM/email me if you’re interested and I’ll knock some money off 🙂

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Hmmm certainly a thought that matey.

Lob me a private message with your number please and we’ll discuss.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

So I had a few mails with Cokie and here’s where I am after today at BPW.

Struggling to decide. That’s it in a nutshell.

Looking at the specs of the s150 it has a 65.6deg head angle and a TT in an M of 620.7mm and a BB height of 335 (I assume that’s in 29er mode, I’d be running it in 27.5)

My t130 is in a large has a head angle of 67deg, a TT of 631mm and a BB height of 331

But they’re slightly inconsequential to the why I’m struggling and that’s because the t130 today was awesome in each and every way. Inspiring confidence for me and soaking up everything I rode with ease.
    But that doesn’t necessarily mean the s150 wouldn’t be all that, plus a bit more? Maybe, possibly, but maybe not. Would I go better/faster/easier on the s150, hmmm I’m not so sure.

I did a car park test on a mates YT Jeffsy with 160mm and it felt a bit wandery. Which is kinda what I always feel with linger travel bikes, but would that just be something I need to get used to, I don’t know, again, maybe.

The s150 is priced well enough that it’s pretty much a 0 loss financially if I buy it and strip the Reverb into the wife’s bike and then sell the s150 on again if I don’t like it. But I’m then faffing about getting an air shaft in the Fox34s I have and potentially having to pay someone to do that, along with putting back if needed to 130mm.

So I’m all up in the air with this at the moment.

“Looking at the specs of the s150 it has a 65.6deg head angle and a TT in an M of 620.7mm and a BB height of 335 (I assume that’s in 29er mode, I’d be running it in 27.5)”

If you run an S150 with normal size 27.5” tyres (2.6” or less) then the bottom bracket will be almost unrideably low.

If your bike felt great today then I wouldn’t change anything! If it ain’t broke…

Premier Icon julians
    Subscriber

Sounds like you just fancy a new bike, just because, which is fine, so if you can afford it just do it, if you don’t like it sell it on.

You don’t have to justify a new bike.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I do to myself. Kinda.

Partly I want a new bike to give me ‘more’ but again today, I’m not sure I have more in me.

Premier Icon scc999
    Subscriber

A mate of mine has a T130 and another mate has an S150.  S150 is run in 29er guise.

They both love their respective bikes.

If you fancy a new bike and have the cash – I’d try and get a test on the S150 and if you like it, get it.

Or look for a second hand G160 or G170 instead!!!! 😀

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Interestingly, the he below was posted by mboy who is or was a Whyte dealer, it’s also I think the exact frame I’d be buying

Anyway… 29er Vs 27.5+ on an S-150… They’re different! That’s what you wanted to hear right…?

I’ve not exhaustively ridden both on the S-150 to be fair, probably only done 100 or so miles on the bike in all honesty, about 30 on the 27.5+ wheels and tyres. Here’s what I have found though…

-BB height is already pretty low on S-150 with 29er tyres, with 27.5+ you’re losing another 6-12mm off your BB height (depending on your tyre combos, I lost 10mm approx), which may or may not be a good thing. It’s something to be wary of though, and why some manufacturers are offering “flip chips” on their bikes for experimenting with wheel and tyre size. I’m used to bikes with low BB’s and the odd pedal strike doesn’t concern me, but even I was surprised what a difference another 10mm made (I guess the extra squish of the 2.8 tyre compounds that too). Some people will love the super low BB, some will hate it.

-2.8″ tyres at 16-18psi are a LOT more comfortable than 2.3’s at 25-30psi. This might sound a bit of a silly statement to make, but even on a 6″ travel bike it’s noticeable just how much trail chatter still gets through to the bars/saddle/pedals on 29×2.3″ tyres, that get filtered out on 27.5×2.8″.

-A “good” 27.5×2.8 wheel and tyre setup is approximately 1lb more rotating mass than an equivalent 29×2.3″ setup. Not drastic for sure, but it’s all unsprung, rotational weight. This may upset you, it may not…

-Bigger tyres, run at lower pressures, are easier to burp! I found this out the hard way on my very first run down a trail, and found I couldn’t push as hard on the front tyre on the 2.8 as I could with a 2.3″ without the risk of burping. I guess a sturdier tyre and/or tyre insert would have fixed that, but that would be adding more weight again.

-With 2.8’s, sometimes there is more grip, sometimes there is less grip. It depends on all sorts of variables, I found typically on firmer dryer ground there was an abundance of grip from the plus size tyres, when the going got a little softer or wetter, the bigger tyres struggle to bite into the terrain in the same way a slightly narrower tyre does, causing them to wash out more readily. The 2.8’s don’t have the outright “grip in any conditions” of a full fat bike tyre so tend to slide a bit early in conditions where edge bite is crucial. Again you’ll know if this is a positive or a negative for you and your riding already I guess.

-The bigger tyres feel more playful on the descents, the bike isn’t any quicker with them on (in fact it’s probably slower) but on the more flowing and jumpy lines, the bike feels more playful than on 29er wheels and tyres.

-The 2.8’s do drag slightly more, it’s not a huge difference considering the amount of extra rubber they’re laying down, but you’re probably putting in a few % more effort for the same pace on a climb.

In summary, they’re different. They’re better in some ways, worse in others, they can be more fun but if the going is soft and slippy they are definitely not as good. Worth trying

I think really that seals the thoughts in my head as not my best plan. Along with “if you’re going to get anything, get a G160”

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Just want to say thanks to all for the thoughts, ideas and knowledge. I’ve made the decision to keep and use the T-130, it’s my happy place of bikes and we get along brilliantly. There’s potential in the future of course that i’ll get something different.. but at the moment, the T-130 is staying 🙂

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Despite suggesting I was done looking, I have been in discussion on a couple of bikes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/whyte-g160rs/274181293081?hash=item3fd67a8419:g:mcgAAOSw4wZdpNlA
    This g160 was on my list but then with the extra pics now added I’m thinking it’s not great. The external cabling, the well rubbed cranks, just an overall look of a bike that’s a bit neglected rather than loved.

This one looks a lot better
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2702624/

Despite being lower spec it looks immaculate. The only complication is he’s almost in another continent he’s that far north.

This last one ticks a lot of boxes but is a bit higher in price
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Medium-2017-Whyte-G160s-Trail-bike-Downhill-Bike-Jump-Bike-Full-Suspension/184109271927?hash=item2addc48b77:g:R~QAAOSwrL9eDjwm

I kinda want something that if it’s not ‘right’ for me after buying it, I can get out of it for the right sort of money, which is often not easy with big purchases as we’re all aware. I don’t mind buying, using 2-3 times and deciding to keep the t130 instead for a loss of say £100-150, but that does of course mean buying it cheap.

Premier Icon rockthreegozy
    Subscriber

Plenty of decent trails in Scotland to make a trip worthwhile and as you say buy at the right price and you shouldn’t ever lose much on resale.

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

The only complication is he’s almost in another continent he’s that far north.

I’m in Aberdeen and I agree with that. Saying that I did buy a bike from Germany off PB no issues

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Aye, I hear you. I asked him if he’d Paisley Freight it etc, he’s looking into that, so then for £50 the distance isn’t a massive issue other than buying without viewing. But imo there’s nothing I couldn’t sort assuming it’s not fully pringled, which it doesn’t seem to be

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Plenty of decent trails in Scotland to make a trip worthwhile and as you say buy at the right price and you shouldn’t ever lose much on resale.

Lol it’s further than Morzine!!!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.