Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • NYC to Boston by train
  • thekingisdead
    Free Member

will be travelling from nyc to Boston in October, probably by train.

Whats the deal with trains in the US? Can I rock up on the day (a la Europe) and pay the same rate, or do I need to book ASAP to get a reasonable price (like the UK).

if I do need to pre book, through who?

Cheers,

tonyg2003

Yes you can just rock up and buy tickets. I can’t remember whether the pre-booking is much cheaper (I’ve just been on business before). The trains are pretty damn slow and often grim. Most people just fly NYC-Boston.

dannybgoode

Wouldn’t bother with the train in the States. Hire a car or fly. Land based public transport is pretty shit as Tony says.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    5lab

NYC to Boston is about 4 hours whether you go by bus, plane or car. I’d say the train is the nicest.

its not the cheapest though at around $100 – bus (~$30) is way cheaper. I’d say look a day or 2 in advance as the cheaper trains (non business) aren’t super-frequent so planning a time is a good idea

easygirl

We went nyc to Boston by train, it was fast and comfortable

booked amtrac online a few weeks before

really relaxing way to travel

alexpalacefan

Pal of mine from Boston travels to NYC on some sort of luxury mini-bus thing.
    Proper ‘Merican and he recons it’s the comfiest and easiest way.

APF

legend
    Free Member

Boston to New York by train is good, takes 3 hours iirc. It’s not fast by Euro standards but it’s a nice modern train and you see a lot more than you would by flying, plus you are going right from centre to centre in one go (Penn Station is a shit-hole though)

klaus
    Free Member

I’ve done the train both ways before, and its quite scenic in a way. The track follows the coast and there’s some good views around Connecticut.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>As has has already been mentioned, it was great being spat out right in the centre of Manhattan at Penn, same with Boston. Not having to faff around driving in and out of either city, made it hassle free.</span>

tonyg2003

Ha Penn station is a literal and non literal hole. A complete dump. The nicer Amtrak’s are certainly nothing like good UK/European trains even if you pay for the nicer ones. Still I like a train journey if you aren’t in a rush.

sniff
    Free Member

Limo liner for the win. Even get a meal, WiFi and films.

https://www.limoliner.com

squirrelking
    Free Member

Freight hop?

BillMC

I learnt the hard way about buying tickets at the last minute. However, it’s a pleasant journey with engaging views of  the countryside and seashore houses with little marinas and a pretty good train. Plus you get the mad contrast of rural New England and Penn station. I’d not fly and miss all that.

sadmadalan

We did Boston to NYC last year.  The travel agent said that it was cheaper than flying, as you had to budget in getting from the airport to the centre of NYC and quicker.  The train was very pleasant, not fast, especially as it gets close to NYC.  We booked well in advance.

smiffy

It is a beautiful journey (sit coastal side of the train).

Penn has a gem, the Oyster Bar is a great experience – very nooyoik.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘NYC to Boston by train’ is closed to new replies.