Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • Nutrition for Cyclists.
  • hilldodger
    Free Member

people keep saying porridge is low GI I can’t see it myself

porridge is low GI if made using a wholeoats, they contain a water soluble polysaccharide fibre known as beta glucan.
    Beta-glucan increases the viscosity of food in the small intestine and delays absorption, thereby reducing peak postprandial blood glucose and insulin levels.
    Wholegrains are also a good source of B complex vitamins, co factors for the enymes involved in carbohydrate metabolism.
    🙂

Kryton57

*checks porridge*

hora
    Free Member

porridge is low GI if made using a wholeoats, they contain a water soluble polysaccharide fibre known as beta glucan.
    Beta-glucan increases the viscosity of food in the small intestine and delays absorption, thereby reducing peak postprandial blood glucose and insulin levels.
    Wholegrains are also a good source of B complex vitamins, co factors for the enymes involved in carbohydrate metabolism.

Any wholeoats- any brands/etc to recommend?

Kryton57

I have quaker oats. On the box it says 100% wholegrain, and one 40g serving = 47% of the beta glucan RDA.

Is this good?

Edit I eat mine with semi skimmed milk only. No sugar, uncooked, no honey etc….

DenDennis
    Free Member

hora, i’m guessing the honey&raisins are your problem.

try organic rolled or even non-organic jumbo oat.

honey has glucose and fructose and not really that different to table sugar i believe.

molgrips
    Free Member

porridge is low GI if made using a wholeoats

How much water do you use?

Honey btw is much lower GI than sugar, it’s medium compared to most foods, and you don’t need as much to make things sweet.

hilldodger
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Any wholeoats- any brands/etc to recommend?

Sorry No, I don’t go near the stuff personally.

hilldodger
    Free Member

honey has glucose and fructose and not really that different to table sugar

This is the trouble with looking at lists of ingredients and chemical formulae – it completely overlooks the presentation of the food material, any other nutrients it may contain and their potential interactions.

molgrips
    Free Member

Jordan’s crunchy oats keeps me going for ages. It’s got sugar in it but it’s also got fat, and is very much whole grain. I would guess it’s fairly low GI.

I don’t eat it any more, mind.

hilldodger
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    How much water do you use?

see answer to Hora above, I eat very few grain based products personally and certainly not in bulk form like a bowl of porridge

crikey
    Free Member

AAaaaaaghghghghgaaaagghghhh!

It’s turned into BloodyPorridgeTrackWorld!!!!1

Just ride your sodding bike a bit more!”!1!2!

molgrips
    Free Member

Just ride your sodding bike a bit more!”!1!2!

Whilst eating.. what..?

Macavity
    Free Member
    IanW
    Free Member

Do believe (watching the repeat) Mark Cavendish has just been handed and drank an Orange Fanta as post Giro 6 recovery.

damo2576
    Free Member

If you want to spend an hour listening to someone who actually knows about this stuff the best thing I can think of is this. It’s the best thing I’ve heard.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Chocolate milk. Cheap, easy to get and has pretty much everything you need in the right proportions for a.recovery drink… According to one of my regulars who is a nutritionist for the US navy anyway.

molgrips
    Free Member

Last time I looked at this you need to drink quite a bit to get a big enough helping of carbs.

Not that that’s a problem, of course 🙂

Kryton57

I’ve been researching choc milk today, see here.

Plenty on t’internet about it but I shall use it instead if FGS that for sure.

CaptJon
    Free Member

IanW – Member
    Do believe (watching the repeat) Mark Cavendish has just been handed and drank an Orange Fanta as post Giro 6 recovery.

That’ll be the start of his recovery feed.

Footballers regularly eat things like pizza and fish and chips after a game.

Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Nutrition for Cyclists.’ is closed to new replies.