Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • Nutrition for Cyclists.
  • IanW
    Free Member

I have recently changed my diet from the usual pies and beer to a healthier salad, fish and sparkling water combo. The weight is dropping off ~ 7kg in the last 5 or 6 weeks, still a bit to go to my target but Im happy with the rate of loss.

I have already begun to notice improvements in my average pace and feel much more comfortable in faster groups certainly over short periods.

Question is what should I be eating/drinking thats not going to upset my weight loss goals but will provide the go needed for 4+ hour rides?

Bit of googling suggests I should be thinking about-

Carbs before and during a ride.

Glucose/fructose

Hydration.

Post ride recovering. protien?

Caffiene

Nitrates

Any experts 🙂 with suggestions prefferably avoiding the expensive commercial products?

molgrips
    Free Member

OMG… ok.. well.. I’d suggest not taking carbs before or during the first 45 mins of a ride, and don’t eat carbs in the 2-3 hours running up to a ride. After 45 mins you can take on carbs, gels or something.

This encourages you to burn fat well, and trains fat burning. If you down the carbs you might go faster at first but you’ll probably end up wanting to eat loads of carbs, and you’ll end up burning less fat. And your overall endurance will be less I reckon.

Post-ride, you want a good amount of fast carbs – something sweet does the trick, Torq Recovery drink is the best I’ve found but it’s expensive.

fr0sty
    Free Member

Dates, dates and dates. Did I mention dates?

damo2576
    Free Member

Paleo for Athletes?

damo2576
    Free Member

Torq Recovery drink is the best

What makes is better than any other fructose (?) drink? I always wonder whether Coke would do the job just as well.

somafunk

You don’t need carbs for endurance riding which is generally at a lower intensity than an all out racing speed for which you do need a small amount of carbs, teach your body to burn fat. Have a look through this website to get an idea, there’s also some good pointers regarding weight loss goals on his website along with Ben’s website below.

For the past few weeks i’ve been researching what works and what seems to be quackery as i’ve now got the “bike” bug again and i’ve realised that whilst i perhaps can’t ride with the intensity like i did 6 years ago due to spinal issues that’s no excuse to wallow in the corner and throw my toys out the pram so i’ve been preparing myself to get back into it this year, slowly but surely – hopefully.

I’ve been reading through Ben Coomber’s website and listening to his podcasts along with examining the evidence for use of supplements etc through various peer reviewed studies with regard to performance/recovery etc. I’ve decided to try the Genetic Engineered Supplements range as a friend of a friend is involved in the current testing procedures but as to whether or not they will make a difference i’ll have to wait and see, perhaps i’ve just wasted cash on expensive commercial fairy dust but i’m willing to try them for myself.
    I’ve just received the Sustain zero carb performance mix, Matrix recovery mix and Genetic Pre-load mix and have yet to try them in anger so to speak, i am a vegi (no fish/meat products) so i guess i do need to supplement my intake of certain proteins and minerals somewhat more than those that do eat fish/meat on a regular basis.

Caffeine is generally regarded as good thing pre ride as it enables your body to burn fat more rapidly, just as well as i do like my double espressos 😀

IanMunro
    Free Member

What makes is better than any other fructose (?) drink? I always wonder whether Coke would do the job just as well.

No. Torq packaging comes in nicer colours and thus works better.

damo2576
    Free Member

Ok so what do you eat before a ride, say 3hrs Z2/3

molgrips
    Free Member

What makes is better than any other fructose (?) drink?

Coke works quite well. Torq Recovery (as opposed to the normal energy stuff) has protein, glucosamine, ribose, hmb, and a load of other stuff. Works very well. But it’s frigging expensive, and as mentioned antying high GI will also work, like Coke.

You don’t need carbs for endurance riding which is generally at a lower intensity than an all out racing speed for which you do need a small amount of carbs,

For short races I’d personally take carbs, just to provide extra power on top of the fat burning power I’ll have trained for.

Nuffing.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Whatever I normally would if I wasn’t doing one.

piemonster

Plus one

damo2576
    Free Member

I find it hard to ride after a full english? Sits heavy in my stomach, esp with a couple of bloody marys.

mogrim

I’d have porridge an hour before, then probably something like a banana or cereal bar every 1.5hrs or so. I usually carry a gel just in case, very rarely need it.

somafunk

I used to think that a large bowl of porridge in the morning was the muts-nutts way to start the day as that’s what i understood was the best breakfast but after recently changing my entire diet i never eat porridge in the morning now, i tend to save it for a post ride snack to replenish carbohydrate levels. For breakfast t’day i had a 2 or 3 egg omelette wi coriander and turmeric cooked in butter with roasted mushrooms, broccoli, peppers, red onions, tomato and topped wi cheese – yum!.

i used to feel lethargic in the late morning/early afternoon when i ate porridge and often slumped big style towards the end of the day but since changing my morning routine i can quite happily sail through the day wi just a handful of brazil nuts/seeds for a 3pm mid afternoon snack.

mogrim

For breakfast t’day i had a 2 or 3 egg omelette wi coriander and turmeric cooked in butter with roasted mushrooms, broccoli, peppers, red onions, tomato and topped wi cheese – yum!.

Nice breakfast, but there’s no way I’d eat that before doing any kind of exercise – I’d spend the whole time with it repeating on me… Porridge, all the way.

TBH I’m not quite sure why some people seem to be so anti-carb on this thread, take a look at any professional (endurance) athlete’s diet and one thing they all say is the importance of keeping carb levels up, eating during exercise etc. (I suppose if your aim is weight-loss you might want to change that, but in my case it isn’t…)

molgrips
    Free Member

TBH I’m not quite sure why some people seem to be so anti-carb on this thread, take a look at any professional (endurance) athlete’s diet and one thing they all say is the importance of keeping carb levels up, eating during exercise etc

I’m not anti-carb at all – I’m trying to say that the timing of high GI carbs is very important and has an effect on how your body works during the ride.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Follow the pro team chefs on twitter if you want meal ideas. @teamskychef’s food always look amazing!

molgrips – Member
    What makes is better than any other fructose (?) drink?
    Coke works quite well. Torq Recovery (as opposed to the normal energy stuff) has protein, glucosamine, ribose, hmb, and a load of other stuff. Works very well. But it’s frigging expensive, and as mentioned antying high GI will also work, like Coke.

Marketing costs lots of money.

molgrips
    Free Member

Matt spends naff all on marketing.

The stuff that goes into it is expensive, that’s why it’s expensive. Whether or not that stuff does any good is another issue.

I’ve tried it, and others, and it does work well. If I were a gullible marketing led fool I wouldn’t be also recommending sugary water with some flavouring in it.. which I am.

mogrim

If I were a gullible marketing led fool I wouldn’t be also recommending sugary water with some flavouring in it.. which I am.

To be fair you are recommending “Coke”, which does kind of imply you’re a “gullible marketing led fool”, though.

molgrips
    Free Member

FFS, no it doesn’t. Coke is not marketed as recovery drink. It’s just a common shorthand for cola based drink.

I shall recommend sugary fizzy drinks with caffeine then instead, that better?

mogrim

FFS

I shall recommend sugary fizzy drinks with caffeine then instead, that better?

🙂

Cola is generic, Coke is a brand (which instantly came to mind thanks to their advertising).

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, thanks, I’m well aware of this. Would you like a point for your scoreboard? Will it make you happy?

mogrim

Yes, thanks, I’m well aware of this. Would you like a point for your scoreboard? Will it make you happy?

Don’t get your knickers in a twist, t’were in jest, but if you’re offering: yes please. Points mean prizes!

IanW
    Free Member

Ta chaps, I’ll pick the good stuff out of that.

Kryton57

OMG… ok.. well.. I’d suggest not taking carbs before or during the first 45 mins of a ride, and don’t eat carbs in the 2-3 hours running up to a ride. After 45 mins you can take on carbs, gels or something.
    This encourages you to burn fat well, and trains fat burning. If you down the carbs you might go faster at first but you’ll probably end up wanting to eat loads of carbs, and you’ll end up burning less fat. And your overall endurance will be less I reckon.
    Post-ride, you want a good amount of fast carbs – something sweet does the trick, Torq Recovery drink is the best I’ve found but it’s expensive.

This has worked for me. I came off a famous diet where I got fatter and slower – 3 weeks ago. Today I’m over 3lbs lighter, and I just posted my fastest average this year – 19mph – in windy conditions as well. I could yet improve – I’m still partial to a beer in the evenings….

Kryton57

Fwiw, GT riders have often drink coke/cola and even Tango post race.

Just sayin’….

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Can open, worms everywhere.

and don’t eat carbs in the 2-3 hours running up to a ride

Not a very practical suggestion for most people I would think!

You don’t need carbs for endurance riding which is generally at a lower intensity than an all out racing speed for which you do need a small amount of carbs, teach your body to burn fat

OMG….

OP, you’re really better off going to a dedicated sports nutritionist rather than reading all the baloney on here.

vdubber67
    Free Member

No carbs for endurance riding? Does that include 24hr racing? 😉 There’s some classic nonsense spouted on here isn’t there?

somafunk

Question is what should I be eating/drinking thats not going to upset my weight loss goals but will provide the go needed for 4+ hour rides?

I looked at his specific mention of not upsetting his weight loss goals and wish to manage endurance riding for 4hrs, my idea and previous experience of endurance riding is usually at a much lower intensity, certainly <70% than a quick 1.5hr to 2hr blast at perhaps 85%> capacity, he did not give any reference to 24hr racing or such like and thus i did not consider that taking on extra carbs would be beneficial as he has changed his diet to a more healthy option.

When he has reached his desired target weight then yeah, i’m sure he could start to reintroduce carbs back into his cycling regime, perhaps i read the original post wrongly but i thought he was referencing heading out for a ride wi mates rather than entering a specific endurance event. if that’s the case then yeah – the advice i gave may be wrong.

IanW
    Free Member

There does seem to be a lot of different views on this mostly surrounding carb intake. Normally reliable sources (nhs)suggest fill up on carbs via rice pasta and spuds others with the alternative that grains will be the death of us all.

Thinking about it I have reduced my intake of starchy carbs a lot, unintentionally although a guy I work with is evagelical about this and it may rubbed off.

One view from the links above was that doing so may just be depleting glycogen stores and the associated water wich is easy but pointless weight loss. Not sure this is true as my waist has shrunk considerably.

It’s been interesting reading and I’m probably going continue as I am ( Im still 5 kg over target weight so unlikely to feint) perhaps just carrying a gel for the latter stages of a ride and making sure I have either a milkshake or recovery drink post ride .

Ta

IanW
    Free Member

There does seem to be a lot of different views on this mostly surrounding carb intake. Normally reliable sources (nhs)suggest fill up on carbs via rice pasta and spuds others with the alternative that grains will be the death of us all.

Thinking about it I have reduced my intake of starchy carbs a lot, unintentionally although a guy I work with is evagelical about this and it may rubbed off.

One view from the links above was that doing so may just be depleting glycogen stores and the associated water wich is easy but pointless weight loss. Not sure this is true as my waist has shrunk considerably.

It’s been interesting reading and I’m probably going continue as I am ( Im still 5 kg over target weight so unlikely to feint) perhaps just carrying a gel for the latter stages of a ride and making sure I have either a milkshake or recovery drink post ride .

Ta

avdave2

sparkling water

Is acidic and not good for your teeth.

damo2576
    Free Member

No carbs for endurance riding? Does that include 24hr racing? There’s some classic nonsense spouted on here isn’t there?

Not really, you’re just extending a reasonable statement to include an extreme.

IanW
    Free Member

Re sparkling water-

Yep so they say but I have better insurance for dental treatment than I do for being a fat guy who drinks too much beer so it’s presently a small price to pay.

When my goals are achieved I may swap to still water, saving the badoit for lunch.

jonba
    Free Member

sparkling water
    Is acidic and not good for your teeth.

Who told you that? Yes it is acidic but only very slightly. It isn’t even close to be as bad as fuzzy drinks, fruit juice and sugary things.

There is some real dubious info in this thread. Peer reviewed paper or it isn’t science.

molgrips
    Free Member

and don’t eat carbs in the 2-3 hours running up to a ride

Not a very practical suggestion for most people I would think!

Quite possibly but it depends on how you’re doing your riding. For example, if you are riding to work then you can either have nothing for breakfast and get it at work, or have say sausage and egg for brekkie and something sweet at work. Then don’t snack all afternoon and your ride home will be fine too.

If you are riding in the evening, do it before dinner not after.

If you are riding at the weekened then make sure you don’t have carbs for breakfast and you’ll be fine.

By the way, when I say ‘carbs’ I really mean ‘high GI carbs’ because this is all about insulin.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Nutrition for Cyclists.’ is closed to new replies.