Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • numpty chain question 10 spd direction specific – 9spd ?
  • antigee

just bought a shimano 105 10spd chain for mrs antigees roadbike and on packing has diagram showing is direction specific – my bikes are 9 speed and usually buy sram chains because like being able to open but never noticed anything about direction? so is it 10speed (+) only? 105 specific or some oddity it was cheap

jimc101
    Free Member

Shimano 10 speed road chains 5700/6700/7900 are directional specific, from the techdocs

In order to obtain good gear shifting performance,
    this chain has a forward side and a reverse side, and
    the sides are marked so that the chain will face the
    correct way when installed.

9 speed and other 10 speed aren’t, also, 10s triples need a non-directional chain.

No reason why you can’t use a quick link with Shimano, KMC have the best 10 speed quick link currently available, as it’s reusable, the SRAM isn’t (offically)

perthmtb
    Free Member

9 speed and other 10 speed aren’t, also, 10s triples need a non-directional chain.

Hmmm, not so sure about that. All Shimano Dynasys 10 speed MTB chains are directional as well, and they are for triples as well as doubles.

Edit: just realised you were probably talking about road chains only, so my comment isn’t relevant 😳

But agree the best combination is a Shimano chain with KMC link.

antigee

10s triples need a non-directional chain.

it’s a triple 105 chainset so i guess i’d better check a but more, luckily not urgent

had problems with the link on a kmc chain once and got put off – though i know are popular with stw folk

Edit: just realised you were probably talking about road chains only

– was a darkside question but MTB answers would help fill my numpty ignorance on 10speed

i’ve reused plenty of sram links didn’t realise weren’t intended to!

jimc101
    Free Member

i’ve reused plenty of sram links didn’t realise weren’t intended to!

Only SRAM 10 speed ones (Powerlinks), 9 speed are designed to be reused, and are a very similar design to the 10 speed KMC ones, which can also be reused.

antigee

it’s a triple 105 chainset so i guess i’d better check a but more, luckily not urgent

105 CN-5701 10spd chain Directional for heavy shifting under load “compatible with double FC only”

typical anti triple stuff ❗ guess will see if will take it back and swop
    thanks to JIMC101 as probably would have opened packet or fitted it and got a lot of angst ~ live and learn

Davesport

just bought a shimano 105 10spd chain for mrs antigees roadbike and on packing has diagram showing is direction specific – my bikes are 9 speed and usually buy sram chains because like being able to open but never noticed anything about direction? so is it 10speed (+) only? 105 specific or some oddity it was cheap

Yup, the writing must be the correct way up on the top run facing out on the drive side. The other point worthy of note is that there are instructions about which links to fit the joining pin into. Read the instructions that came with the chain. Easier than me trying to explain on here 8)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘numpty chain question 10 spd direction specific – 9spd ?’ is closed to new replies.