Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Numb Nuts!!
  • stevechiv
    Free Member

HI, I enjoy long distance Xc. I started getting numbness in my groin followed by blood in semen. Doctor was unconcerned and said would heal in time. At 47 I don’t heal like I used too! Had a word with friends and local bike shop advised to go full sus. Brought a full sus Anthem to replace my hardtail,but still suffer from occasional numbness but thankfully bleeding has stopped. I think a replacement saddle may help, but as I live on Isle Of Wight range of saddles is extremely limited . I do wear padded undershorts. Is there any saddles you recommend? Thanks

jeffl

Charge spoon is cheap and comfy, for me anyway. Worth a punt before spending serious money.

billytinkle
    Free Member

Have you experimented with saddle angle?

niksnr
    Free Member

Also on I.o.W. Sounds like you need to choose your lines better! 😉
    In all seriousness, saddles are a very personal choice. Saying that I’ve always found a Fizik Gobi comfortable on anything to a half hour blat or an all day xc ride across the Island. Also consider a dropper post if you haven’t got one already! Saves your undercarriage if you case anything on downhill sections!

scaredypants

get one with a big channel down the middle – take the weight of your, err, well, you know, thingy

Trekster

billytinkle – Member
    Have you experimented with saddle angle?

POSTED 49 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST
    This. 💡 Nose too high…
    Spoon was worst saddle I have ever owned in 30yrs!
    WTB Kona on fs, one of the Maddison saddles on ht

stevechiv
    Free Member

Hi, have tried different angles. Will have a look at the Fizik :-). Not too bothered about dropper, its the 3hr+ rides that really get me so want something comfy as do quite a few road miles as well. Hey another Islander, don’t we live in the best place ever? lol

kilo

Having had similar numbness on the tt bike I use an adamo saddle on that bike and they do a mtb version but they are an acquired taste

http://www.ismseat.com/saddle/adamo-peak

saddle angle did for me, I did a three day mtb stage race earlier in the year and on the second 90 km stage the saddle angle shifted due to the shock going tits up barely noticable but by the end of day three I was p***ing blood and in a bit of discomfort 😆

AJames
    Free Member
    Muke
    Free Member

Used to ride with it flat but tilting my saddle down at the front slightly improved comfort for me.

bikeneil
    Free Member

What others have said. Tilt you saddle down so that your weight is on the rear of the saddle rather than the centre. Solved it for me. And the best saddle I’ve found so far is an SDG Bel Air. Didn’t get on with the Gobi for rides longer than an hour or so.

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

Maddison Flux over here. Found it really comfortable. And at the price I have no worries in just chucking it out and putting another on once it starts to wear away.

sas78

OT but, there was a guy in my home town of Annan called numb nuts, he’d let you kick him in the clems for 50p back in the late 80’s.

Oh, specialized henges on both my bikes, I love them.

theotherjonv

I used spoons for years with no issues until I started training for a solo earlier this year and was getting more and more discomfort as I upped the mileage and time in the saddle. Tried a few others by trial and error, and then eventually after the unedifying experience of having my arse measured and told it was the widest that still fitted into their performance range, settled on a specialized with a big cut out channel in the middle. Since then, wee johnny has been pain and stress free! Is there a spesh dealer on the island, otherwiseget some plasticine, roll into a sheet, sit on it and see how wide apart are the dents where your sit bones rest.

lunge

Are there any shops that let you try saddles? I chose my current saddle after 3 months of swapping and changing at a shop that had Fizik and Selle Italia test saddles. Settled on a Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow, no numb bits, very comfortable, job done.

pipiom
    Free Member

WTB rocket or any of the selle italia funny shaped things cured my numbness etc……WTB much more long lasting…..IOM …. same probs as IOW for choice

SiB
    Free Member

local bike shop advised to go full sus.

I wonder if the sales rep got Employee of the Month for that!?

shortcut

Definitely worth looking at getting a specialized. I am sure there must be a dealer in Southampton or Portsmouth if not on the island. Also look at saddle angle.

plyphon
    Free Member

dealer in Southampton

Hargroves in Soton is a Spesh dealer.

Also a fan of nose down saddle for after ride plum disturbances

stevechiv
    Free Member

Cheers have ordered a Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow,in for a penny in for a pound! Until I broke silence I thought I was the only one with this problem. Great to know I’m not alone. Been married a long time so bike more important then sex life!,lol. See you on the trails.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Numb Nuts!!’ is closed to new replies.