Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Nukeproof megawatt
  • greeny30
    Free Member

Seeing as nobody mentioned it yet unless i missed it, mega has gone electric, wonder what the giga version will be called.

greeny30
    Free Member

🤕

endomick
    Free Member

I like that it’s a mullet, but surprised its not carbon, but I’m not old or fat or lazy enough yet for an e-bike 😄

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Carbon one is in the works. Seen a few reviews and the only real issue seems to be the bog standard slow charger that comes with it – around 10 hours to charge! (Other charge units are available from SHimano but still 10 hours charge? Hardly gonna be topping up when you stop for lunch are you?

Apparently rides really well though just a bit lardy (a smidge under 25kg!)

tomhoward

Hardly gonna be topping up when you stop for lunch are you?

Do people do that? Seems a faff to carry a charger? Have heard of people lugging extra batteries round for really big days out, but never heard a complaint of them not recharging fast enough.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

So you reckon people would carry a large heavy spare battery but not the small bottom of the range charger?

I’d assume that people hitting a trail centre or similar would a) drive there b) eat lunch c) top up the battery while eating. Given a 10 hour charge time with the bod standard charger, you’re not going to get much topping up done in a 30/45 min lunch stop eh?

doomanic

Where are all these people going to plug in? Are trail centres going to be happy with loads of people plugging in their chargers?

I asked if it was possible at Pedalabikeaway and was told no. BPW offer it, but I haven’t heard of anywhere else.

weeksy

I was debating taking a generator last time i was thinking along those lines. I’ve got a decent small and quiet gennie that fits effortlessly in the car. 60-90 mins of charge would have to give at least 1 more run at BPW wouldn’t it… So well worth it.

tomhoward

A whole charged battery would be worth it, carrying a charger (that’s pretty heavy with the transformer) for an extra top up? Not so much.

This is the first time I’ve heard charge times come up at all with ebikes, as a positive or negative (pun intended) so I assume it’s a non issue. Certainly wasn’t for me.

doomanic

It’s £5 to charge at BPW. It used to be Bosch batteries only as they used their chargers but I think you can take your own now.

Bosch do a 6A charger which would be a worthwhile upgrade (from the 4A standard charger) if you were planning on doing it often.

AIUI, quite a few Shimano motored bikes come with the 2A charger, presumably a cost cutting exercise by the manufacturers, and a source of much wailing and gnashing of teeth from the people who bought bikes without reading the full spec.

Superficial
    Free Member

Is that a fossil fuel powered generator @weeksy?

Just eBiker problems I guess. Mega —> Megawatt is a cool name for an eBike though.

weeksy

petrol

julians
    Free Member

Bosch do a 6A charger which would be a worthwhile upgrade (from the 4A standard charger)

Bosch do indeed do a 6a charger (and a 4a charger) , but the one that comes with the bikes is 2a not 4a.

continuity
    Free Member

Taking a petrol generator with you to charge your electric motorbike?

It’s like you’re trolling the planet. Another reason to write off electric motor bikers.

mashr

continuity
    Free Member

but in the time it’s charging you could get in a couple of laps using an “accoustic” bike – clever thinking

weeksy

I own one for using tyre warmers on the track bike, yeah going round in circles burning petrol for no other reason than pure pleasure… using tyres that i pre-heat in the pits to make sure they’re warm 🙂

I know, what a heathen ! however, that’s how i like my fun. Some people are clearly more caring than me…

simon_g

How many non-uplift laps of BPW or FoD would you get out of one of these?

Base one gets a 504 battery which is a shame, others get 630.

weeksy

Depends on how quick you try and go up really.

3-4 with going up fairly quickly…. 5-6-7 if in Eco mode and cruising easy.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, but weeksy, that’s an investment in organ donation. 😉

back on point, I know a few folks that have a spare battery, Orbea is £750, if you’re spending £6k on a bike, then it’s not a huge investement, and works really well at places like BPW, Golfie etc.

oikeith

Its just a rebranded Vitus ebike isnt it? shares a lot of the same parts! Am I the only one who thinks the downtube Nukeproof logo looks bad, like a cheap sticker stuck on another brands frame and in the wrong place almost.

weeksy

as both Vitus and Nukeproof are now part of CRC/Wiggle, that seems a reasonable assumption.

daveylad
    Free Member

Downtube looks super chunky even for an eeb but it’s pretty smart. More choice is good. Plus alloy is a bonus, I wouldn’t want a carbon frame
    I’ve yet to see anything to tempt me away from specialized though.
    2 batteries are a must for a day at the bikepark.

Look forward to transition having to make an ebike to stay relevant and eat a massive slice of humble pie.

doomanic

Bosch do indeed do a 6a charger (and a 4a charger) , but the one that comes with the bikes is 2a not 4a.

Both my Treks came with a 4A charger. I don’t know anyone using a Bosch that came with a 2A charger. I think the Whytes were originally sped’d with one, but by the time they were released they came with a 4A.

weeksy

the main complaint currently is the Acros headset which routes the cabling through the headset..

mashr

oikeith

Its just a rebranded Vitus ebike isnt it?

Frame is completely different. After that all bikes are the same mix of COTS parts (with a few exceptions)

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

How many non-uplift laps of BPW or FoD would you get out of one of these

Eco on a Bosch CX4 & 625Wh battery = 11 full laps of BPW. 2000+ M climbing. Average is slightly quicker than the uplift. Caveat is i’m not fat, and i’m still working reasonably hard.

Early indication of new Levo with 700Wh battery is I reckon I can get close to 3000M of climbing if I turn down the assistance.

julians
    Free Member

Both my Treks came with a 4A charger. I don’t know anyone using a Bosch that came with a 2A charger. I think the Whytes were originally sped’d with one, but by the time they were released they came with a 4A.

orbea wild fs comes with the 2a charger – I assumed that all the bosch bikes come with 2a by default because thats what my bike came with.

doomanic

Eco on a Bosch CX4 & 625Wh battery = 11 full laps of BPW. 2000+ M climbing. Average is slightly quicker than the uplift. Caveat is i’m not fat, and i’m still working reasonably hard.

That’s phenomenal! And I would suspect outside the norm.

I get six laps and 1500m of climbing out of my 625 with possibly enough for half way up again but I’m done by then. I use a mix of Tour and EMTB. My mate’s Shimano 630 died at Popty Ping on the 6th climb last time we were there and he’d been using eco all day.

doomanic

@Julians that’s a bit crap, I have a spare 4A NIB if you want to upgrade.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I don’t know anyone using a Bosch that came with a 2A

That’s not the point. We’re talking about the NP bike which comes with a 2a charger that takes > 10 hours to charge full.

edit: IANAE-BIKER

But using eco mode just to get round more laps seems odd to me.

How useful / effective IS eco mode?
    (e-bike curious, asking for a friend)

honourablegeorge

weeksy

the main complaint currently is the Acros headset which routes the cabling through the headset..

Bad enough that it’s an Acros headset, but an Acros headset with a load of holes in it? That’ll last two rides, tops.

doomanic

That’s not the point. We’re talking about the NP bike which comes with a 2a charger that takes > 10 hours to charge full.

So buy a 4A charger. Compared to £5K to £7K for the bike it’s a small cost.

honourablegeorge

oikeith

Am I the only one who thinks the downtube Nukeproof logo looks bad, like a cheap sticker stuck on another brands frame and in the wrong place almost.

Does look off. Mind you, it’s a hell of a lot more subtle than their first mega, which had a Nukeproof logo on literally every tube. Geometry is pretty good too. They’re not a cheap bike any more though, their pricing is fairly premium. Fair enough given their race success, but I think most still see them as a budget brand regardless.

julians
    Free Member

@Julians that’s a bit crap, I have a spare 4A NIB if you want to upgrade

Thanks, but I actually dont find the 2a charger a problem, takes 8-10 hours for a full charge, I guess if I was wanting to put some meaningful charge in over a lunch stop then it would be a problem, but havent had an issue so far – just charge over night.

Appreciate the offer though.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

So buy a 4A charger

Yep. You totally could, no reason not to. But this is a newly launched bike. Bit hit an miss as to what (lol) charger you actually get with a particular brand and variations within the same brands too. Perhaps worth talking up to a better charger when you buy an ebike and securing a deal?

Imagine getting an iPhone that does quick charge but they don’t supply one in the box and you need to buy one….. Oh hang on….

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

But using eco mode just to get round more laps seems odd to me.

In my case, because I still want to do a big day out. Yes, I could ride up everything in turbo (which, generally I do at lunchtimes in the week – advantage of living in the FOD & working at home).

I’m happy to pedal a 2000M day, but it’s a big day out on the normal bike. 2000M on Eco means I can do it again the next day if I want to, and it’s still ~25% quicker based on a similar output, whilst still being a decent workout.

Generally i’ll ride it in Trail if i’m out in a group, unless I fancy a workout.

Still never considered how long it takes to charge though…

z1ppy

How useful / effective IS eco mode?

Every manufacturere is different* but my group (Levo’s) ride on Eco all day, as we bought them to increase our mileage, not to drain the battery with Turbo. The ECO mode is fine, enough to stay ahead of a very fit rider (well my very fit friend), if your willing to put some effort in. For us, that over 4hrs of single track riding/climbing in our local forest on the 700wh battery, which suits us fine.

*Spesch/Shimano have app’s to tune the output per mode, Bosch still lag behind with no adjustability.

robridesemtb
    Free Member

Reason I bought up the charger in the vid is that I often charge in the morning (if I forget to the evening before) and with the 6amp Bosch charger the bike is fully charged in 3.5 hours, or well above 80% in about 2 hours.

IME most bikes come with a 4amp charger. The cheap Decathlon Stylus bikes actually came with the 6 amp charger.

It’s not disastrous having a 1.8amp charger, but frustrating when you forget to charge the bike and need to spend a day getting it topped up again.

Aside from that small point on the charger (its not a biggie, a bit like a bike coming with crap/mis specced tyres that you may need to change)… the bike rides very very well.

chiefgrooveguru

With the current global supply chain chaos, I wouldn’t be surprised if the 2A chargers are the only ones that Nukeproof can get hold of!

Toasty

Frame is completely different. After that all bikes are the same mix of COTS parts (with a few exceptions)

I wouldn’t go that far, look at the down tube, head tube, top tube, motor area. Even minor stuff like the battery compartment arrangement is the same. Very similar geometry, travel, the same awkward internal cable routing headset, both mullet, head angle the same, seat tube angle the same, chainstay length identical to the mm.

Really just seems to be the shock placement, slightly longer front triangle and the brand name, for a bit more cash.

If anyone was considering the lowest Nukeproof I’d genuinely have a look at the Vitus ESommet VRS, £400 less for bigger battery and better wheels. Most sizes in stock. I bought one recently and I’m totally over the moon with it. My old Meta Power is in the classified now!

Edit: Oh actually, a note about the internal routing! It’s not that bad, unlike most internally routed bikes you can still get easy access to the cables by popping the battery out! I had to shuffle mine about to move the dropper up a bit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Nukeproof megawatt’ is closed to new replies.