Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • NukeProof mega am 275 vs mega am 26" which to keep?
  • Lester
    Free Member

for reasons i cannot explain i have ended up with the am 275 and the am 26 and even after riding them both im not sure which one to sell,
    im trying to find a way to convince myself i need both.
    any thoughts on which and why please
    thanks

fr0sty125
    Free Member

If you don’t mind which one then keep the 27.5 makes more sense, if you plan to keep it for a while.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Go on tell us the reason ! Nice bikes btw as I am sure you know.

I am firmly in the 26 ain’t dead camp but given you have the 275 I would keep that one unless the sale price of the 26 would be low

Kryton57

Are either of them large, cheap and invisible to wives? That’d be the one to sell to me… 😐

Lester
    Free Member

i already had the 26 and had kitted it out very nicely, but then a really good value am 275 came up and i bought it.
    im not good enough to tell which rides the best,and i like them both and maybe the 275 makes sense to keep but im still not sure.
    id really really like to be convinced i need them both.
    and being the same colour silver not many people (even wives) notice they are different 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Perfectly reasonable story

Put the nice kit on the 275 and sell the 26. Put the kit from the 26 onto a hardtail frame and sell the AM frame.

Lester
    Free Member

yes thats what i was thinking might be best to do, but im still waiting for a convincing argument to keep them both 🙂

rab5474
    Free Member

Funnily enough i am in the exact same position as the OP, i quickly decided to keep the 650b purely for future proofing which is slightly irritating as i have a mountain of 26″ tyres and a spare hope rear wheel for it and its a nicer colour i felt the 650b had slightly more reach but apart from that i couldnt tell the difference.

Ive took the best bits from both bikes and built them onto the 275 and am at the minute i have the 26 for sale, but am having trouble selling it.

roverpig

Yes, come on folks, get with the programme, he wants reasons to keep them both.

No point selling the 26″ version as it’s worthless and no point selling the 650B version as then you’ll be laughing stock of your more trendy friends on your retro bike. Also you can’t buy any new bits for a 26″ bike. It’s against the law.

Sorry, best I can do 🙂

rab5474
    Free Member

Something that crossed my mind was to turn the 26 into a DH weapon, but i quickly realised that i cant do that as i’m skint

deviant
    Free Member

As someone else said, keep the 27.5 and transfer the kit from the 26 onto a really nice AM hardtail.

…..then sell the 26 Mega frame for whatever you can get.

No point having two so similar, much better to have the 27.5 and then a hardtail play bike….funnily enough I have just this combo; a Giant Trance 27.5 which is very serious and capable and used for racing….and then a 26 inch Ragley hardtail which is for thrashing and using at inappropriate places (like BPW etc!)….do it!

dvatcmark
    Free Member

If the 26 inch is a large I could be interested in the frame 🙂

Lester
    Free Member

Rover pig wins so far. What I neglected to say is have a mega tr 275 as well which muddys the waters a little. I HATE selling any of my stuff

bungalistic
    Free Member

So you have 3 bikes: 26 mega, a 650b mega am and a 650b mega tr.

No need for em all if that’s the case

Lester
    Free Member

I know I don’t NEED. Them all lol but I want to keep them all 🙂

Lester
    Free Member

Double post

bungalistic
    Free Member

If you ride them all and enjoy them all then don’t sell unless you really need the money. I’d keep em till I wanted something new then sell them at a later date to fund that instead.

Lester
    Free Member

Thanks Bungalistic 🙂
    that will do

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Every day you keep the 26″ is more £ dropped.

I can’t think of any good reasons to keep the 26″ especially as you can’t tell the difference. If something goes wrong with the AM then ride the mega.
    Swap all the best bits onto the 650b and flog the other bike before CRC do a final clearance sale and pop them in with the bags of sweets rather than the other way round.

Lester
    Free Member

stop it Mikewsmith 🙂
    you make a great deal of sense
    but i dont want to sell my marzoccchi ti 55s or the industry nine wheels on my 26er. i have pikes and mattoc on the 275s but would miss my marzocchis.

roverpig

How desperate are you for the cash? Having a collection of bikes from the same manufacturer is fun. Ok it’s a different sort of fun, but it’s no different to having a collection of paintings by the same artist. Of course you don’t need them, but we’re talking about bikes that you ride round in circles on to get muddy, so need doesn’t really enter into it. Bikes are your passion. So, if you like collecting things then why not have a collection of bikes.

Back in my road riding days I had three Principia aluminium bikes. Ok one could take guards for the winter, but the other two were very similar except that one was the iconic Rex model and the other was orange, so I couldn’t sell either. In fact,.even though I haven’t ridden a road bike for a couple of years I still have a pair of them hanging in the shed. I’ve also got a Brompton in the corner. I have no need for a folding bike, but it’s a Brompton, it’s a design classic and that’s reason enough for me to keep it.

Of course, if the kids are going hungry the bikes have to go, but if you can spare the cash to fund your hobby then I wouldn’t feel at all embarrassed about having three nukeproof bikes. It just makes you a connoisseur of the brand 🙂

Is that any better? Can’t believe it took me all night to come up with that 🙂

jedi

ride one on tuesday nights and the other on thursdays 🙂

Lester
    Free Member

roverpig i like your thinking, i think the kids are ok for food 🙂

Jedi, thanks for your advice, and ride the 3rd one Sundays?
    However i tend to fall off a lot, maybe i should be asking which bike hurts the least when it lands on you, maybe i should sell the 275 because that is higher to fall from
    hehe

jedi

heh heh heh. great rides eh 🙂

Lester
    Free Member

yes great rides Tony 🙂

just think how many times i would have fallen off if i hadnt had uk bike skills training, and at much slower speeds too

jedi

lol. look how many rides we’ve done now 🙂 alps next

Goldigger
    Free Member

If there was a 29 version of the am mega, would you buy that as well?

Lester
    Free Member

no, i just sold my 29er ( carbon titus rockstar) as i never used it.
    my thinking was
    mega tr275 as trail bike on mid week rides
    mega am 275 at uplifts
    and mega am 26 when i go to my mates place in hertford.

my 3 bikes cost a little more than 1 whole bike and i can have 3 times the fun, but i still need to kid myself that`s ok. ;-)n+1 to the nth

Lester
    Free Member

yes Tony a lot of rides, alps next ,
    gulp haha
    all i have to do now is stay on the bike.

Lester
    Free Member

@ jambalay
    i dont think my 62 year old body would appreciate a hard tail

Kryton57

I have the opposite problem to you. I downscaled to an upgraded anthem 29er mainly for racing but it also copes with 90% of my riding perfectly.

However for the other 10% a floaty “enduro” style bike would be awesome. But I can’t justify the purchase for the 3 times a year I’d use it. It’d make my ti hardtail reduendant too.

This thread has reminded me I’m well overdue a visit to Jedi though!

andyl
    Free Member

Don’t know the bike models but am guessing the 26 and 27.5 inch ones are similar and the tr one is something a bit different?

slightly odd thinking but how about keep the 26″ as currently prices are through the floor and sell the 27.5 while the market is good (start of the summer, up to date bike etc). Also keep the tr.

Either sell the 26″ in a few years or keep it for ages if you still like it as you won’t be able to get another.

Use the money from the 27.5″ for a new bike in a year or so when there is something noticeably “better” that compliments your other bikes.

hang on, just noticed you are 62. Scrap all that and just keep all of them. Riding time is too precious to be without a bike if something goes wrong and I don’t mean to be rude about your age, quite the opposite, but don’t think about the future just make sure you enjoy your riding now. Especially as it doesnt sound like money is a problem. Enjoy all 3!

roverpig

Maybe this collecting urge is something that comes with age. Youngsters are happy to get rid of something as soon as something “better” comes along. But as you get older you start to think how cool it would be to still have all those bikes you used to own. It would be fun to hop back on that old Raleigh Dune Dancer that I rode around the Slickrock trails in Moab, if only to remind myself of how much better my new bikes are. But its gone. I still regret selling a Windcheetah recumbent trike. It was a bonkers machine and I doubt I’d ever ride it, but not having whatever cash I got for selling it wouldn’t make a material difference to my life and I miss it.

andyl
    Free Member

You just have a smaller (and cheaper) version of what people like this have:

only you probably get a lot more from your collection than a lot of people with collections of cars that don’t get used do.

soobalias
    Free Member

firstly, how can we possibly decide without pics.

my heart and head say keep both, write up the ultimate 26vs275 long term test.

ditch the tr.

do any of them go in a bike stand easily – thats the only thing that i dont like about my mega.

rs
    Free Member

ride them on alternate days, on the same trails with strava, make a nice chart and tell us once and for all how much quicker 650b is… or isn’t…

Euro
    Free Member

Keep both. It’s always good to have a spare bike that’s ready to ride.

… a 26 inch Ragley hardtail which is for thrashing and using at inappropriate places (like BPW etc!)

You is the craaaaaazy! I’m really struggling to think of a more suitable venue for a mountain bike than a mountain bike trail.

Lester
    Free Member

rs
    i might do that, if i do i will give my verdict, although i would say dont take any notice of it lol

GEDA
    Free Member

If you cannot tell the difference then sell the one you can get more money for. Seems pretty simple to me.

Lester
    Free Member

yes i agree, it seems simple
    but even though i started off asking which one to keep, the thread rapidly became justify keeping all 3.
    🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘NukeProof mega am 275 vs mega am 26" which to keep?’ is closed to new replies.