Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Nukeproof Horizon CL question
  • SOAP
    Free Member

Hi
    I’ve run shimano’s for ever. Been on Saints for the last 2 years and run the tension super loose.
    Fitted the Nukeproof and on the lowest tension with shimano cleats I could hardly unclip. Scary AF 😂
    Are the nukeproof cleats any easier to unclip?
    Don’t want to try them if I need to send the pedals back

gotbike
    Free Member

I had the same thing with the horizons, found that even with the tension backed all the way off they were really hard to get out even with Nukeproof cleats. Kinda got used to them for a couple of years but then switched to Mallet DHs and really happy with them – easy to unclip and I haven’t ripped a foot out of them in about 3 months of having them.

If you’re not happy with how high the tension is then return them, I couldn’t get a particularly low tension on them

SOAP
    Free Member

Looks like I’ll be sending them back then. Gutted as they look really good.
    £80 if anyone is after a set in Grey

akira

I’ve got some and I’m going to tighten up the tension, think I’m using shimano cleats but had a few accidental unclippings.

teethgrinder

I have the CS. I use Shimano cleats and Only the front pins. No issues releasing from North Wave or Five Tens, but the tread on Shimano shoes makes releasing them problematic.

SOAP
    Free Member

I ride in 5tens and can literally get out of my saint pedals without feeling any real resistance.

Found this in a review

When I first tried to clip in, I noticed the tension to be very tight but when I checked out the tension, it was set to the lowest tension possible. After about a day of learning to clip in and out, I began to feel the tension get looser and looser, but the tension adjust was still in the same position. I realized that these pedals break-in after a short period of time so many readers will need to adjust the tension after a day or so.

tuboflard

As the review says @SOAP, mine were ridiculously tight for the first ride but after a couple of hours riding they’ve loosened up loads and now are just right. They do feel better with their own cleats too though, not sure if that’s just because they are new.

dc1988

I ran SPD’s for years but switched to Mallets and haven’t looked back, the release tension isn’t related to the retention tension. I have never pulled a foot out of my Mallet but the force to unclip is very low. If they had Shimano bearings they’d be perfect.

SOAP
    Free Member

I’m not comparing mallets

SOAP
    Free Member

Hmmmmm do I risk it? Or just send them back and get some more saints

dhrider
    Free Member

Surely if your fitted / tried them they’ll be marked so won’t be accepted as a return?

tuboflard

I’ve got them on a slack 29er hardtail and I’d have sent them back if they hadn’t eased off as no way I’d ride some tech without being able to eject. I’d stick with them but if they really don’t ease off I’m sure a pair of lightly used pedals would get good money given parts shortage. I might even be tempted to buy them off you to go on the full suspension 29er.

SOAP
    Free Member

Fitted the nukeproof cleats this evening and initial thoughts are they work better at stomping down on the pedal to engage way better than the shimano. Also easier to unclip! If they loosen off a bit more over a couple of rides I’ll be happy. Thanks

teethgrinder

The NP cleats are chamfered at the front too, to make entry possible by just stomping on the pedal rather than having to get the front in first like Shimano cleats.

I was thinking of grinding my Shimano ones to get the same effect

joebristol

The Nukeproof cleats look similar to Shimano ones but work much better with the Horizons. I found with Shimano cleats it was sometimes hard to get clicked in.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Nukeproof Horizon CL question’ is closed to new replies.